What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (6 Viewers)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
He's my sweetie boy. :) Oh I love his fur. He's a very well disciplined cat. Actually there' a 5th box in the cupboard almost empty.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here comes that dopey HTF "dog guy" posting in the cat thread again.

That picture of Sooty put me to mind of whenever we get my dog Ike's food delivered at home (from an online vendor) he always camps out by it as it makes its way from the front door through the front hall and the living room until it finally lands in the pantry off the kitchen. He has been known to nap with his head resting on the bag of food!

1979897_657484370972675_4981759618123969149_n.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just slumming...

j/k

I like to think I have an open mind! I've always said if I could be sure that I could get a cat which would get along with dogs AND allow me to pick it up whenever I want and pet it and give it a good scratch behind the ears, I'd get a cat. But those specific qualities in a cat seem hard to come by. :biggrin:

d6a1143f571184db25f94613edd43b40af6d3a629221aba00d9efdcfef5efd84.jpg

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
Just slumming...

j/k

I like to think I have an open mind! I've always said if I could be sure that I could get a cat which would get along with dogs AND allow me to pick it up whenever I want and pet it and give it a good scratch behind the ears, I'd get a cat. But those specific qualities in a cat seem hard to come by. :biggrin:
Ragdoll sounds like the type of cat you need. Get one as a kitten and it will be fine with the dog (assuming the dog is fine with the cat).
View attachment 13476

andySu

Senior HTF Member
David Willow said:
Ragdoll sounds like the type of cat you need. Get one as a kitten and it will be fine with the dog (assuming the dog is fine with the cat).
Oh sleepy cat looks so sweet.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Here comes that dopey HTF "dog guy" posting in the cat thread again.

That picture of Sooty put me to mind of whenever we get my dog Ike's food delivered at home (from an online vendor) he always camps out by it as it makes its way from the front door through the front hall and the living room until it finally lands in the pantry off the kitchen. He has been known to nap with his head resting on the bag of food!

1979897_657484370972675_4981759618123969149_n.jpg
Is that dry food. A dog might go for the water for a few laps. My cat hardly touches the water but has urine issue if I keep him feed on dry food too many days he'd get blocked urine and its a trip to the vet. Mostly he's fed with wet food that has percentage of water. But never less I always put down a boil of fresh water ever day.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
andySu said:
Is that dry food. A dog might go for the water for a few laps. My cat hardly touches the water but has urine issue if I keep him feed on dry food too many days he'd get blocked urine and its a trip to the vet. Mostly he's fed with wet food that has percentage of water. But never less I always put down a boil of fresh water ever day.
Had a cat that lived 15 years, never, ever did he eat dry food. I also never saw him take a drink of water. He lived on canned food.

His sister wasn't so picky, she'd eat anything and be fine. One time I tried to force the issue and only put out dry food. It was war, but after four days of his starvation, I caved and opened a can for him.Got my current Black Lab as a tiny puppy, figured the size wouldn't freak my cat out much. Wrong, oh so, so wrong. Dog loves the cat, cat "tolerates" the dog. They certainly aren't friends, might cross paths a few times a week, but the cat is a loner, I rarely even see her. But food is being eaten, litterbox needs cleaning, so I know she's alive, just living as a hermit somewhere in the house.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Cats don't need much water if they're on a wet food issue. We're told that wet food diet us preferred and outweighs any teeth-cleaning benefits of dry food. If you go dry food, you want a high protein (lower grains). These new Caesar Salad cat-food flavors are stupid. Cats are carnivores. We do wet food twice a day, and dry kibble on a timer at night (and on vacations). We also have a recirculating water bowl, for what drinking they do.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Cats don't need much water if they're on a wet food issue. We're told that wet food diet us preferred and outweighs any teeth-cleaning benefits of dry food. If you go dry food, you want a high protein (lower grains). These new Caesar Salad cat-food flavors are stupid. Cats are carnivores.We do wet food twice a day, and dry kibble on a timer at night (and on vacations). We also have a recirculating water bowl, for what drinking they do.
I know what you mean with the wet food thing. It has a huge percentage of water, I've read sometimes 80-90%. I'll give her a treat of canned food once or twice a week. She loves canned tuna, probably way to much sodium, but she's 14 1/2 years old now, still doing just fine, no medical problems, her teeth are in perfect shape, so I must be doing something right.

It's amazing how cats really are incredibly aware of their surroundings. She always knows what's going on in the house. The instant I let the dog out in the back yard, the cat knows she's free to roam the house and will often come out to visit with me. Same thing if I open canned food for her. Maybe I'm unknowingly performing some kind of routine she's caught onto, but as soon as I begin to open that can, she knows what I'm doing and comes running for her bowl of tuna or whatever flavor I bought.

She and her brother were so wonderful when they were younger, they loved to play outside, chase the squirrels and birds, climb trees or just lounge in the sun, often on the roof of my garage. Her brother passed away December 7th, 2004, so exactly ten years ago tomorrow. Vet was never able to figure out what was happening, but he had 4 1/2 years of a really nice life. There must have been some type of special bond between siblings. She has never set foot outside since then, her entire personality changed.

On the flip side, here's a quick story about my mom's cat.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Let's try again to finish my last comment............

On the flip side, here's a quick story about my mom's cat.

My mother is terrible with money. Sometimes very frugal, sticking within her budget, other times just out of control.

Part of the problem was her cat, the only animal I've ever come across that actually hated me. Of course we met under the worst circumstances and it was downhill from there. She was my grandfather's cat and he passed away in his home. It ended up being me who had to find the cat, capture her and drive her to her new home with my mom. Not a good start.Then a year later my mom was on vacation and her home flooded, about an inch of water in the place. Guess who was taking care of the cat, dropping by to feed her, check on things, etc. Middle of winter, had to slog through the water, capture her again and she got to live with me for a few weeks. Just more negative reinforcement.

Anyhow, my mom fed her those ridiculously expensive teeny, tiny cans of Fancy Feast. Not just one or two a day, but six, seven, even up to eight a day. The cat never finished one, she'd eat a few bites and walk away. Mom would then throw it out, open a fresh can and give her more. Rinse, repeat, etc. all day long. She was literally spending $150+ a month to feed one cat. I don't think I spend $150 in a year feeding my cat and she's perfectly healthy. She gets treats and I spoil her occasionally, but she gets mostly dry food, certainly not a fresh can of food every few hours because she's bored with what she was last served. Big bowl of dry food always available for her. If she's hungry, it's her choice to eat or not.

We need to train our pets, not the reverse, letting the pet control you.

Granted, my first cat won the dry/wet food war, but I learned from that experience. And he never got a new can of food until he had finished the last one.

No more thread hogging, I'll keep quiet for a while :D

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DaveF said:
We do wet food twice a day, and dry kibble on a timer at night (and on vacations). We also have a recirculating water bowl, for what drinking they do.
I have one of these for the cats. The old cat (Rocco - the one in my avatar) puts his whole head under the water and then he gets a drink. :lol:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Anyhow, my mom fed her those ridiculously expensive teeny, tiny cans of Fancy Feast. Not just one or two a day, but six, seven, even up to eight a day.
Egad, my THREE cats share ONE can of fancy feast every other day, though sometimes I feed they share one can each day, and I'll feed treats on the day they don't get FF.. Eight times a day sounds quite excessive to me!!!

Jay

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike Frezon said:
The best advice is to adopt a mature cat, say 4 years old, from a no-kill shelter. The one here has rooms segregated by age. You can sit in the room and see which cats take a shine to you. Their bios will state if they have successfully lived with dogs before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks