What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thank you Chris and Jay, and thank you Jose for the tear. These little crature's are born to break our hearts, but till then, they warm our hearts.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
andySu said:
Catwoman: Catwoman: "I don't know about you, Miss Kitty, but I feel so much yummier".

10347708_10152606676325149_7419292652740232852_n.jpg
One of my ex-cats was named Miss Kitty. My Dad thought I named her after the character from Gunsmoke, when in reality she was named after Catwoman's cat.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:
I don't have similar problems around here. The first day I brought Condoleezza home, Dukie and she would eat gushy fud from the same plate.

4511923303_da0632e3d4_z.jpg
A bit late on my post, haven't followed this thread for a few weeks.

I had two cats when I first moved into my own apartment, Wilbur and Charlotte. Charlotte ate anything, dry food, canned gushy food and drank water like a normal cat.

Wilbur lived his entire life on canned food and never, ever drank water from what I could see. Got enough moisture from the canned stuff that he was fine. One time I tried to be "boss" and stopped putting out canned food, only dry, but he never touched it. Charlotte of course was fine. After four days I caved, he won the battle.
Both of them lived long, healthy lives up into their late-teen years.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny:

So, so, sorry for your loss. It is apparent how much you and Sam each gave each other and how important Sam was to your entire family.

Rest easy knowing how wonderful a life you gave your good friend. You gave him all that he needed: a roof over his head, food, a warm place to sleep. And he gave you all that you needed--unconditional love and comfort.

A perfect match.

And you should have no regrets in taking such good care of your friend when he needed it most.

While you may not sleep well tonight, you should sleep well down the road with such good memories of your time with Sam.

Be well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My condolences, Johnny. By your story, Sam was a great friend and lived a long, happy, and loving life in spite of his challenges. I just want to reach into that picture and scratch that belly. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We're fostering three kittens for a couple weeks. Dash is adapting. Mango wants nothing to do with them. Let's see if I can get some photos posted...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Dave, I looked into fostering but the humane society near me has some real draconian rules. They seem to want to completely isolate the foster cats (I was intending to foster adults only, I am too busy for kittens since they need more care than I can give) from my 3 cats... I am well aware of introducing cats to a clan, heck, I introduced Rainier to my 2 cats, Marcy and Greylock and did what you're supposed to do (isolate the new cat/kitten and then introduce the smells and scents slowly).

I'm curious if your humane society you foster through (I'm assuming you are doing this through your local shelter or group) have different rules and my local one is unique or what. I would think that once the cats can get along, it isn't a big deal to mingle them, they are social creatures just as much as us humans are, I think it's kind of mean to put them in isolation if there aren't any issues between the group...

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jay H said:
Dave, I looked into fostering but the humane society near me has some real draconian rules. They seem to want to completely isolate the foster cats (I was intending to foster adults only, I am too busy for kittens since they need more care than I can give) from my 3 cats... I am well aware of introducing cats to a clan, heck, I introduced Rainier to my 2 cats, Marcy and Greylock and did what you're supposed to do (isolate the new cat/kitten and then introduce the smells and scents slowly).

I'm curious if your humane society you foster through (I'm assuming you are doing this through your local shelter or group) have different rules and my local one is unique or what. I would think that once the cats can get along, it isn't a big deal to mingle them, they are social creatures just as much as us humans are, I think it's kind of mean to put them in isolation if there aren't any issues between the group...

Jay
It's not the Human Society, but a group called HARP (I think).

A friend of our cat-sitter is a regular Foster-er. She was going on vacation and needed someone to help out for two weeks with the kittens. She told the cat-sitter, who sent a note out, and we volunteered. We picked the trio up at Petsmart at the end of a weekend adoption event.

It was all completely informal and we've taken care of them as best we can. We kept them isolated for the first week. But they're too feisty for the small room they were in, so we began giving them time in the house. Now, they're out almost all day long, put up at night or when we're both away.

We got two of the three adopted: A friend of a friend learned about them our posts on Facebook. She visited and her kids loved them, so she's adopting. Picks them up this Friday. The third kitten is still without a permanent home. So back to adoption central at Petsmart on Sunday and presumably to the original Foster person after that.

I'm going to miss the kittens. They're bonding with us, and we're getting to know them. I'm tempted to keep the third, but it really wouldn't be a good fit for our two cats. It would have significant long-term impacts on the cat balance.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks Dave, there is definitely a cat karma in a cat clan. I introduced my 5 month old kitten, Rainier last sept to my already 6 year old adult cats that I've had since they were about 5 months old, Marcy and Greylock. I was a little curious as to how a rambunctious 5mo old would do with established 6 yo adults but after just like 2 days of isolation and some hissing of my alpha male (all three are male), they were licking each other and acting quite normal. It turns out that the 5 month old is great in keeping my older cats somewhat active. Otherwise, I'd think they'd just lounge around all day. Rainier has learned o give Marcy his space and to stop playing with their tails and all the cats have settled into their role in the cat clan.

I inquired to be a foster and I would still like to, but I need to find a more flexible group that suits me. I spoke with a lady from the local humane society and she even came to my house and we had a chat but I never got a really good vibe from it. I'd like to contact my vet to see if she would be up for some more informal fostering...

Jay

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I want to think everyone for their kind words. It is really tough losing such a tiny bit fur, that has been such a big part of your life for 13 years. They may be tiny with little muscles, but they sure do grab on to your heart and not let go. Ginger is doing better than I thought. She's not cried and still looks forward to her treats twice a day. I think maybe she's a little but subdued, but so far, that's all I notice.

David, the pictures of your cats looking at the fish on the iPad is marvelous. On first seeing it, I thought "yeah, that's a cat."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks