What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (3 Viewers)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
This is Tigger, 13 pounds of pure attitude.

486665_10201226240003907_212821717_n_zpsa3d821b0.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Looks like a cat I had long ago I named(well, the she at the time named it) Stripes.

I should add pics of my two indoor cats at our 2nd house. Discovered a rampant mouse issue. The cats gave us presents every time we showed up...

They've been in the house from 3 months old till now almost 7 months old. Mouseless house now...yay.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Is there a way to tell what kind of size a cat will grow into when you get them?

My last four cats have always been big, 14-16 pound range. Yet I have friends with small cuddly, well fed cats who maybe top out at 5-7 lbs. One of them had always run from strangers. Ten years old and I was literally the first "stranger" where she jumped up to meet me and eventually fell asleep in my arms as we were watching Stark Trek IV. The owners were pretty amazed.

Obviously a genetic thing, I don't overfeed my cat or previous ones I've had, but I just wish I had a smaller cat who could lay on my stomach or chest, fall asleep and relax, without feeling like I've got load of bricks crushing me.

My current mixed Siamese is very healthy, but kind of large, probably16 lbs. She doesn't overeat, I control that, but it seem like it is her "set" weight and she'll never be one of those small kitties.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Our lot of cats started with a litter of strays. 5 of an original 7(somebody else took 2).

The 5 we got, 2 male(we fixed these two males...so the fathers of all the litters were local toms). The males are twice the size of the smallest female...the other two females(that actually looked like twins) where just taller.(one of them subsequently got sick and passed)

The remaining "twin" has had two litters and the smaller one has had 3. They are both fixed now.

Of the surviving(we only helped the very first litter) kittens. 9 out of, maybe, 15...(originally there were more like 30...but you know outdoor cats and surviving...)

The second generation has two cats larger than the original 4. The remainder are all 8-11 pounds. The original 4 are 6, 8, 12 and 12. The "2nds" are 8-15 pounds.

And, of my pics...Smax. He's a furry thing. Not exactly what you'd call a long hair...but...

I've seen what is probably his father. This big ass 20 pounder that looks like a grey fox. And he's from the smaller mother. I can imagine that "cat fight"...20 pounder messing around with a 6 pound cat...

Smax and Rexa are from the same litter. Those two are darn near all black(he used to be...his main is lightening up). The other three look like mom and their coloring is like Posten's cats.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam: Are you SURE those two pictures (Rexa and Smax) aren't the same cat?

Talk about identical... Right down to those two gray marks around the left eye...and the gray sport alongside the nose!

Smax looks like he just might be a bit..."fluffier!" :laugh:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah Smax outweighs her by about a pound. He eats healthy. Smart cats though. About a month ago I was leaving 4 days. Left out 4 bowls in a line with 1.5 cups each. Got done early...When I got back, they had eaten 2 bowls. 3Rd was 10% left. 4Th looked untouched.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Cats are wonderful at taking care of themselves. Unfortunately, I'm leaving town for a few days next month so have to have a friend take care of my black lab. A little more high maintenance than a cat.

With Olivia, my Siamese cat, big bowl of food, fresh litterbox, fresh bowl of water and she's good for a week.

Kylie, the lab, would eat everything in sight and needs to be let out at least twice a day (big dogs must have amazing bladder control). I certainly couldn't go that long without a little relief.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just had a cat-tastrophy...Apparently I have two alcoholic cats. Have had cats before that would pester you while drinking a beer.These two just knocked over a St. Pauli Girl Dark and just drank probably an ounce total...before I shood them away. First time they actually knocked one over instead of licking the top of the bottle.Now they act like it is the best thing they ever tasted. Had to remove them from the room. Imagine trying to eat pizza and beer and the cats won't stay off the beer bottle...geesh.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was reading some threads on "cats drinking beer"(other than the haha...)I would fathom a guess an ounce for a 10 pound cat is like 24ounces for me(205lb).One thread where a guy was lambasted for allowing his to drink a Warsteiner goes "I sure as he$$ wasn't buying Warsteiner for my cat, if I were it would have been Old Milwaukee." (Shivers at the thought of OM)I did have cocker spaniel long ago that would sip dry martini. Would touch nothing else. Two tongue laps in the martini and he would roll over on his back and lay there against my chair.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
Just had a cat-tastrophy...Apparently I have two alcoholic cats. Have had cats before that would pester you while drinking a beer.These two just knocked over a St. Pauli Girl Dark and just drank probably an ounce total...before I shood them away. First time they actually knocked one over instead of licking the top of the bottle.Now they act like it is the best thing they ever tasted. Had to remove them from the room. Imagine trying to eat pizza and beer and the cats won't stay off the beer bottle...geesh.
My black lab is the same way. I don't drink but have friends over so I serve what they like. My dog was so interested I finally put down a bowl and gave her about 1/2 cup of beer. Now she's a major booze-hound and pesters everybody if alcohol is being served. She doesn't get any, so I'm hoping she'll get over it soon.Luckily my cat is very private and hides away when I have visitors, don't need two boozing pets in the house.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer...

But you fellas should be be careful about giving alcohol to pets. From what I read, alcohol poisoning is a real problem for cats and dogs which take in beer, wine and spirits.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer...

But you fellas should be be careful about giving alcohol to pets. From what I read, alcohol poisoning is a real problem for cats and dogs which take in beer, wine and spirits.
Oh trust me, I've read plenty of things about how bad alcohol is for pets, let alone humans.

My dog would love a sip or cup or quart of beer, but it's not allowed. It was a one time thing over the holidays and will not be repeated.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
On a drinking, but non-alcohol, related note, Domino, who has been refusing to drink water for over a year (we've been having to give him iv fluids every other day) suddenly began drinking water freely. What was the change? We filled his favorite water bowl with tap water. He had been refusing both bottled and filtered water all of this time, preferring to drink out of the toilet (we've kept the lid down for this entire time, as well, and still do).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My dog that wanted dry martini with me...Not kidding. I could fresh pour it, sit it in front of him and like any treat...he'd wait for the command. Then he'd stick his tongue in it twice, wag his tail and let him go. He'd go next to to my chair, turn over and lay there till he needed to pee(sometimes he'd fall asleep). Probably do this a handful of times a year. If it was anything else, not interested. Dry vermouth martini with olives...he wanted some.I think he was like 3 when I gave him a bit. Lived to 16 years old. Actually had to put him to sleep. His hip joints were so arthritic he couldn't do anything, not even lay still. You bet, before his last car ride.. he got another martini.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks