The Official HTF Cat Thread (1 Viewer)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
1619090351162.png

mylan

Screenwriter
Middle of the bed is always a pleasure but I witnessed my cat about to heave and he looked around for something to heave into and it was my house shoes at the back door, saved the floor but ruined the shoes. At least he tried...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Middle of the bed is always a pleasure but I witnessed my cat about to heave and he looked around for something to heave into and it was my house shoes at the back door, saved the floor but ruined the shoes. At least he tried...
At least he makes an effort to contain it. Anytime I've tried to put a paper towel or something under a heaving cat, they just move aside to a fresh spot on the floor.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mount Washington resident feline, Marty, has passed:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/mount-washington-observatorys-beloved-cat-marty-dies/34619484

View attachment 81695
View attachment 81696

Marty is Mount Washington’s only permanent resident, holding court as the most recent in a long line of famous feline mascots.

Before coming to the Observatory, Marty lost his home to a fire and was taken in by the Animal Rescue League of New Hampshire North (formerly Conway Area Humane Society). In January of 2008, Marty won more than 8,000 votes in the first ever Observatory Mascot Primary and was donated to the Observatory by the Humane Society. He was quickly regarded as a good fit for the mountain because of his adventurous attitude and presumed Maine Coon Cat pedigree.

Marty enjoys romping around with the summit crew and exploring his massive home, the Mt. Washington State Park Sherman Adams Visitor Center. Off the clock, he enjoys stalking the water cooler, chasing bouncy balls, napping in odd positions, and being brushed.

https://www.mountwashington.org/about-us/staff.aspx

As a follow-up to last fall's news of the passing of Marty, the Mount Washington feline mascot, the observatory has adopted a new mascot, Nimbus:

Nimbus, a gray short-haired cat, was chosen from four candidates at the Conway Area Humane Society. He's described as a sociable cat who uses a wide variety of meows, chatters and purrs to keep the attention of staff members, according to a news release sent by the observatory.
...and apparently it's been quite a journey from the great plains of Oklahoma to the peak of NH's Mount Washington...

Nimbus the cat was transferred to CAHS from the Skiatook Paws and Claws Animal Rescue Oklahoma.

1620335952166.png

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/mount-washington-observatory-welcomes-new-summit-cat-nimbus/36352843

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Here's my current cat, Minnie, at the adoption place, just before I took her home. My mother and sister have been taking care of her while I have been laid up, and although she tried to ambush my sister's ankles, and has "play bit" my mother without drawing blood, they say she is very sweet.

0.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Cat owners and lovers can you explain how this cat just walked away?

It's called terminal velocity. This article explains it all:

32 stories above the streets of New York City, a cat fell from a window and lived. After vets treated the cat's chipped tooth and collapsed lungs, the feline was sent home two days later.
Cats fall a lot, and they've gotten really good at it. Drop a cat upside down, for example, and it will almost always land on its feet. That's because cats are extremely flexible. They can twist their bodies mid-air as they fall.
But landing feet first isn't always the best strategy. Like if you're falling from 32 stories up. To figure out how cats manage that perfect landing every time, a series of studies looked at over a 100 cats' falls from two to 32 stories up.
Comes as no surprise that cats who fell from the second floor had fewer injuries than cats who fell from the sixth floor. But here is the fascinating part. Above the seventh story, the extent of the injuries largely stayed the same, no matter how high the cats fell. So, how is that possible?
Well, it all comes down to acrobatics or lack thereof. Cats that fell from two to seven stories up mostly landed feet first. Above that, however, cats used a different technique. Instead of positioning their legs straight down as they fell, they splayed out like a parachuter. And landed belly-first instead.
But this method isn't 100% foolproof. Chest trauma, like a collapsed lung, or broken rib is more common with this landing method. But the risk of breaking a leg is much less. So, how do cats somehow subconsciously know how to land?
It has to do with a physics phenomenon called terminal velocity. At first, the cat plummets faster and faster under gravity until she's fallen the equivalent of five stories. At that point, she hits constant terminal velocity at 100 kilometers per hour. She's now in free fall where air friction counteracts her acceleration under gravity. At this point, she's no longer accelerating and, more importantly, doesn't feel the pull from gravity.
So, here's what researchers think is happening. From two to seven stories up, cats don't have enough time to reach terminal velocity and prep for landing feet first. But once they hit terminal velocity, their instinct changes and they parachute their limbs.
All that said, don't throw your cat out of a window. I can't believe I have to say this. Not only is it still very dangerous, it's not very polite. Don't throw your cat out the window just to see all that go down.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
It's called terminal velocity. This article explains it all:

32 stories above the streets of New York City, a cat fell from a window and lived. After vets treated the cat's chipped tooth and collapsed lungs, the feline was sent home two days later.
Cats fall a lot, and they've gotten really good at it. Drop a cat upside down, for example, and it will almost always land on its feet. That's because cats are extremely flexible. They can twist their bodies mid-air as they fall.
But landing feet first isn't always the best strategy. Like if you're falling from 32 stories up. To figure out how cats manage that perfect landing every time, a series of studies looked at over a 100 cats' falls from two to 32 stories up.
Comes as no surprise that cats who fell from the second floor had fewer injuries than cats who fell from the sixth floor. But here is the fascinating part. Above the seventh story, the extent of the injuries largely stayed the same, no matter how high the cats fell. So, how is that possible?
Well, it all comes down to acrobatics or lack thereof. Cats that fell from two to seven stories up mostly landed feet first. Above that, however, cats used a different technique. Instead of positioning their legs straight down as they fell, they splayed out like a parachuter. And landed belly-first instead.
But this method isn't 100% foolproof. Chest trauma, like a collapsed lung, or broken rib is more common with this landing method. But the risk of breaking a leg is much less. So, how do cats somehow subconsciously know how to land?
It has to do with a physics phenomenon called terminal velocity. At first, the cat plummets faster and faster under gravity until she's fallen the equivalent of five stories. At that point, she hits constant terminal velocity at 100 kilometers per hour. She's now in free fall where air friction counteracts her acceleration under gravity. At this point, she's no longer accelerating and, more importantly, doesn't feel the pull from gravity.
So, here's what researchers think is happening. From two to seven stories up, cats don't have enough time to reach terminal velocity and prep for landing feet first. But once they hit terminal velocity, their instinct changes and they parachute their limbs.
All that said, don't throw your cat out of a window. I can't believe I have to say this. Not only is it still very dangerous, it's not very polite. Don't throw your cat out the window just to see all that go down.
excellent explanation

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks