The Official Firefox 1.5 is out.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Greg*go, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Firefox - A Better Web Experience

Firefox 1.5 Release Notes
    Firefox Help

Direct Download Page Has Windows, Mac, & Linux builds in various languages. (Make sure yours has been updated to 1.5!)

Or you can use one of the many official Mozilla Mirrors that span the globe.

Themes
    Official Extension List |

I've been using the test builds for a couple months now, some of the new features include:

Automated update to streamline product upgrades. Notification of an update is more prominent, and updates to Firefox may now be half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved.

Faster browser navigation with improvements to back and forward button performance.

Drag and drop reordering for browser tabs.

Improvements to popup blocking.

Clear Private Data feature provides an easy way to quickly remove personal data through a menu item or keyboard shortcut.

Better support for Mac OS X (10.2 and greater) including profile migration from Safari and Mac Internet Explorer.

If you are interested in upgrading to 1.5 from an earlier version, and you have extensions, you'll need to update since it looks like they aren't usable in this 1.5 version. 1.5 will attempt to update them for you. Or you'll have to check the extensions website to see if they have made versions compatible with 1.5 and then download them.

NOTE: When installing, it is recommended that you back up your old profile. To get access to your profile in WinXP, go into the C:/Documents and Settings/User Name/Application Data/Mozilla.

Hopefully this isn't old news on that speedy internet. Since I worked all day, I didn't have a chance to post this earlier. I always enjoy posting this and getting some talk going about it.

Go knock yourselves out.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Sweet post. I have to say designing websites for a living, switching back & forth between Firefox & IE is almost always a let down because of poor W3C standards support on IE's part. I have to literally double my worktime just to get it to look right in IE.

3. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Firefox 1.5 has solved my issue I had with 1.0.7 of Javascript working only intermittently. Also, solved my problem of the process not shutting down when the browser closed. Those things were getting annoying and frustrating.

Everything seems to be running smoothly and faster.

4. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

However, I've heard of a couple of serious problems discovered in Firefox 1.5 so far:

1. On some web pages, the right scroll bars are no longer displayed. [​IMG]

2. Ad-blocking is now very unstable, with overly-agressive blocking of graphics and some ads not blocked. [​IMG]

I'll wait until the Mozilla Foundation addresses these issues before installing Firefox 1.5.x versions. [​IMG]

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Does the Firefox program offer ad-blocking? I have always been under the impression that blocking ads is done through an extension or other extraneous way.

Since I use a tweaked version of the default theme, and don't use the ad-block extension I haven't experienced these problems. I do, however, use userContent.css to block ads and have not experienced any problems yet. In either case, it sounds like these problems should be resolved in a matter of days since the extension & theme makers usually work feverishly to make sure their stuff works with the most current versions.

The newest feature I like best is the clear private data. I have it set to clear all but a few cookies, as well as my cache everytime I close Firefox.

When I used to use IE, I was also able have that set to delete the cache every time I closed it. I always felt my PC ran quicker with it set this way.

Plus now I don't have to worry about that mysterious Google Cookie that expires in 2038.

6. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Those issues sound more like problems with extensions and themes than with the software. Considering that it's supposed to be a major upgrade, I backed up my settings and did a clean install of Firefox, as per MozillaZine. Those using extensions and themes (which may not have been updated correctly) may want to try starting out fresh. I've been using it since last night, and the only problem I've run into is losing an extension that didn't have support past 1.0.7.

7. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I think that Adblock is broken, and it's suggested that you use Adblock Plus. I don't know about the rest, but if you check the MozillaZine forums, there should be a post or two about extensions.

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Yikes!

Just installed the new Firefox over the old.

This thing is riddled with bugs.

Can't set my homepage using OPTIONS. Doing so
    opens up text in the middle of my browser screen
    with buttons beneath it. Hard to explain, but
    VERY weird.

No sidebar to scroll up and down.

Something is very wrong here.

9. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Folks,

I think the big bugaboo with Firefox 1.5 is that you have to update themes and extensions to ones that are Firefox 1.5-compatible. Otherwise, you get strange behavior like loss of scroll bars and ad-blocking that goes bezerk. [​IMG]

For folks on broadband like me, updating themes and extensions is pretty easy, but woe to anyone who is on dialup. [​IMG]

10. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

When I downloaded it yesterday it prevented me from using themes that were not compatible with the new version. So far I have had no problems, and I like the new features.

Kyle

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Update...

After installing an updated copy of the Noia Extreme
    extension my Firefox is working great!

Thanks for the assistance.

12. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Seems OK, little bit faster maybe.

Still some oddities that they've never sorted out - like having to restart the browser to change themes, smooth scrolling that isn't actually very smooth (could be a video driver thing I suppose, but it's done it on every card I've used), resizing the Google searchbar not working properly, just nitpicks.

Just hope it doesn't have the memory problems of previous versions, but the people on Slashdot didn't seem to think that had been improved.

13. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Rob,

The only thing I don't like about Firefox compared to Maxthon (the other web browser I normally use) is the fact that scrolling with the scroll wheel is a bit slow compared to Maxthon. [​IMG] However, the speed of loading web pages is still quite good, especially if you knew how to tweak the about:config section of the browser to speed up broadband performance. [​IMG]

14. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Just loaded 1.5 and it seems to fix screen flicker issues that I had been having when viewing pages at the MSNBC web site [​IMG]