What's new

The Official DVD Discoveries Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve_Klein

Agent
I've been going through the DVD Discoveries disc, but it's a little awkward because I cannot access the disc menu. I have a Sony 7000, and have encountered this before (but not recently). Still, I can access the content by using direct title access. Some of the docs don't have titles though, so I think I'm missing something on the menus.

Is there any way to access the disc menu through title access, or is there a list of the docs on the disc indexed by title (Title 2 = Automat -- hilarious BTW...)?

Thanks!

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Mark Wilson, re: the Charles DeLauzirika/David Prior segment and my skipping over it.

Okay, I still have the disc. I'll give it another try.

The disc was definitely $10 worth of interesting. I didn't mean to be overly negative.

Jan

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Ah I was finally able to order this, can't wait to get my hands on it.

I'm not really surprised that the response has been so slow in coming. Look at the Disney Treasures, only in the last couple months have people from HTF and other people really started to realize how great these sets are, there were tons of threads about them and reviews of them around this years wave release, but for the first year release there was only one or two threads and reviews were rare and usually very after the fact. These low profile and highly collectible releases seem to take some time to reach their market penetration. I bet that by early summer people will start having trouble finding this years treasures online or in B and M's and it took til fall of last year for the first wave to actually become hard or expensive to acquire.

Adam

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
hi,

I got this free from BETTER CABLES, and it is worth a watch! my main beef is that it is non-anamorphic to start, and keeps switching within programs.

try to just 16x9 everything, ie. windowbox!

I liked it, and would pick up a Vol. 2 if it explained bit budgets, failure rates, disc vulnerability, WAMO etc houses. Going into packaging - snappers, retail, rental, aspect ratio, marketing. the whole kaboodle!

this I would demo in our rental store, to explain things to less enlightened DVDizens.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
got it today, excellent disc, I watched the David Prior and Van Ling segments, which were impeccable. especially the Van Ling, there was a ton more information in that segment than in Prior's (I can't begin to spell the other guys name right so I won't try), which was informative however. Panic Room SE looks astounding, and hearing them mention Raiders was just evil, if one of them is working on Raiders, well that would be fantastic; however I think that it may have been empty speculation. :frowning:

very nice so far, won't be able to get to the rest until the weekend, however the sale of a second volume is already made. I'd love to see in depth sections by studios like Criterion and Anchor Bay about how they get rights to release products, and what they do for their often unique supplements. Extensive in depth restoration demos like on the outstanding Pollyanna disc would be more than welcome. Perhaps there could be a whole restoration section with interviews with people like Robert Harris, Steve (something or other that does work for Disney), UCLA, the Library of Congress, and maybe something on stuff like the recent Keaton/Arbuckle comedy that was recovered.

A section on the guys that did the vault disney and five star sets would be interesting. These could go into the politics of dvd marketing and why these series/lines were discontinued and their perspective on such occurances.

Adam

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, just checking in. Finally had a chance to watch the whole disc in one sitting. You know what? I don't like watching myself on my projection TV.

Referring to my segment, I'm fairly unapologetic about my segment being boring, because guess what? I'm boring as sin. ;)

It is interesting to note that the footage was filmed during the week when the crap hit the fan with AnotherUniverse.com and I guess in light of that I could have made it much more controversial, but I was just looking to share some information about some simple ways to gauge interest. The segment was probably mistitled, because I tried not to dwell on the problems, but just talk about things the studios needed to do, fans should do to be heard, etc.

Having had no rights to air any segments of the the My So-Called Life DVDs, and not really being very involved in the technology end of the DVD business, I understand why it would seem bland. I probably shouldn't have cut out my 20 minute rant about the criminals at AnotherUniverse.com who overcharged so many customers. (I didn't really do this).

And to make the back story a little more interesting, I ended up in bed with a 103.5 fever about 2 hours after leaving the studio. I believe that if you look closely you can see my skin turn progressively paler and greener through the talk. Do not adjust your TV!

I should add that they were originally to film it in 16:9. I was bummed when they told me that they couldn't do it at the last minute.

Best
Jason

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I wasn't bored at all by your segment, Jason. You provided real info and I was intrigued throughout.

Jan

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
Aks and ye shall receive! Thank you Paul for so quickly looking into my order and letting me know that a replacement disc is on its way.

Ruth Ferguson

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My opinion is that this DVD is definitely worth the price of admission. Of course it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but chances are that those people who navigate to fora like the HTF and this section are already interested enough to enjoy most of the presentations on the title. Sort of a little like preaching to the choir, but with some added information that makes the choir sing a bit better.

Uber-Geeks unite! :laugh:

On the down side, my only disappointment with this DVD, based on the hype was the THX "special material." Like some others have pointed out, there really wasn't anything that isn't available on a slew of other demo discs with THX trailers, etc. As an owner of the THX "WOW" Laserdisc I was looking forward to seeing something to "WOW" me that wasn't obtainable elsewhere. My "WOW" LD, while still offering a pretty good five minutes of well put together clips, is a little long in the tooth and it no longer has the impact of today's DVDs. (For those who have never seen the THX "WOW" segment there is a nice mix of a lot of clips from Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Willow, etc. that are thematically tied together in such a way that the viewer usually ends up saying, "WOW!" when it ends.)

At one time, my "WOW" LD was the demo to end all demos. Today it is more of a curiosity than a "WOW" inducer.

Paul, you would score a tremendous coup if you could get a goodly portion of the THX Demo DVD released onto your next disc. Of course, there might be legal or other hassles involved which might prevent all this so I understand if it doesn't happen.

But one can hope, right?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
RAF, you should check out the new THX Demo DVD then. It has pretty much the same clips from the LD but in anamorphic widescreen and DTS (yes DTS).

Brad A

Agent
Mark...Where can you pick up a new THX demo dvd...I looked on ebay one day and there seemed to be several different ones...I didn't purchase one cause I had no idea what was what

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Mark,

Same question as Brad - where can one purchase this disc? I wasn't aware that it was available to the public. Many years ago I was able to procure a THX WOW LD through a "friend of a friend" and it was great at the time.

As long as the hoops aren't too weird to jump through (and as long as I'm not at the mercy of some price gouger) I'd love to add the THX DEMO DVD to my collection. Since there are so many great demo quality things out there in DVDland right now, the urge to "must have" something of this type certainly isn't as important to me as it was in the early 1990's.

Anything you can offer in information about this would be helpful. Thanks.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I bought it on Ebay from a guy in Germany. His id is 'froggymaus'. There seem to be a lot of them coming out of Germany. I paid about $150 for it about six months ago. I thought I did good considering they were going for $600-$800 a few months before that. I haven't checked in a while so they may have come down. I think I paid $100 for the THX WOW LD in the day.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thanks for the information, Mark. How's the overall quality of the THX WOW DVD? And is the content idential to the LD or are there some additions?

Would it be possible for you to post the contents or a link to same?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks