The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread

Jason_V

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jason
I didn't say it's a good reason. I just suggested that to make something illegal (like as in prohibition) does lead to illegality. That's pretty simple to understand. Yes, products are available for people able to go outside normal channels and pay huge prices. Same was true of alcohol in the USA for many years.
My main point is that it would make sense for Disney to make its products available to a world-wide audience.
Oh, I know exactly what you said. From the 5 foot view, sure, it makes sense the same products are available throughout the world. But that doesn't happen with any product for any number of reasons. It wasn't right when alcohol was procured illegally in Prohibition. It's not right when songs or movies are illegally downloaded. If the rules prohibit someone from having something for any reason, that's the rules. And if you get busted in any way trying to circumvent those rules...

Reactions: Thomas T

AnthonyClarke

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Anthony
But so so stupid of Disney. They're entitled to market their classic products around the world but they refuse to.
And I'm not condoning piracy, just arguing for marketing commonsense.
I go to ridiculous lengths to get products I shouldn't be able to buy here in Australia. And what I do is technically illegal even though I pay for my addiction. I'm referring to high definition audio, 24-96 or 24-192, much higher quality than CD. Although the major companies such as Warner are making these files available, I'm turned back from digital sales-doors such as HD Tracks who spot my alien Australian identities even when using a VPN. But there's one US site which seems to think I'm living in Chicago, which happily accepts my money. And one great French HD outlet which seems to think I live in Belgium..... at least my cash is international.

Reactions: MatthewA

Dan_Shane

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Dan Shane
It clearly makes sense to them. If it didn't, they would change the way they do business.
You are making an assumption. Disney is among the many very large corporations that have at times done business in a nonsensical way and lost money because of it. Being huge can sometimes be its own disadvantage when it comes to logical thought.

Jason_V

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jason
You are making an assumption. Disney is among the many very large corporations that have at times done business in a nonsensical way and lost money because of it. Being huge can sometimes be its own disadvantage when it comes to logical thought.
I don't disagree that any company can make a decision which loses money. I do disagree that I'm making an assumption. This decision makes sense to someone or did make sense to someone at some point. Just because it doesn't make sense to us is immaterial.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jason_V

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jason
My point is we don't know any of the reasons why they don't ship internationally. I'm not willing to say it's because anyone is stupid or ignorant. I will 100% contend we (you and I) have the 5 foot view of this, not the 30k foot view.

And that is where I exit this particular conversation.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

AnthonyClarke

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Anthony
Fine. We've had a good discussion. I however will keep pressing as often as I can for Disney to consider making its masterworks available as widely as possible to a world audience. The works deserve decent distribution. They're part of our collective legacy.

Reactions: MatthewA and Jack K

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’ll be interesting to see if they continue with the DMC exclusives or abandon that line in favor of Disney+. I don’t think anyone knows anything yet but I’m not exactly holding my breath at this point.

Mark-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Probst
Methinks Disney+ has killed the movie club exclusives. While my account remains active, I haven’t purchased anything in months. For new movies I usually buy digitally in 4K, so with the classic titles all but dried up, I’m very close to just canceling my membership.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Timothy
I have a few more titles I need to catch up with but I’m close to cancelling as well if no new announcements come out. I’d really like Light in the Forest and Westward Ho, the Wagons but I’m probably dreaming.

Reactions: Darby67

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They have The Black Cauldron in UHD on Disney+ last I checked.

How hard would it be to take that master and scale it down to 1080p for a barebones Blu-ray? (I mean, I'd welcome extras too but I'm trying not to get my hopes up here.)

Despite the existence of Disney+, I would absolutely buy an official copy of The Black Cauldron on Blu-ray. They need to finish the canonical Walt Disney Animation Studios classics at least.

But I doubt they'll do it.

Randy Korstick

Producer
Reaction score
Methinks Disney+ has killed the movie club exclusives. While my account remains active, I haven’t purchased anything in months. For new movies I usually buy digitally in 4K, so with the classic titles all but dried up, I’m very close to just canceling my membership.
It sure looks like that but curiously no classic live action films have been added to Disney+ since launch in early November. Since there are 50-60 of them not on there that already have HD masters on iTunes and TCM I was hoping they would at least add 2-3 new titles a month. Right now Disney+ and Disney movie club are big disappointments for classic Disney live action films. If they won't release them through the club and won't add them to Disney + just where will they release them.

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm wondering : can we expect further Walt Era classics on Blu-ray this year ? Darby O'Gill, Great Locomotive Chase , Shaggy Dog, Johnny Tremain would be nice for starters .
I have a few more titles I need to catch up with but I’m close to cancelling as well if no new announcements come out. I’d really like Light in the Forest and Westward Ho, the Wagons but I’m probably dreaming.
All six of those Films would be nice . There are probably about 25 live action films that would have already been released if the "exclusives " program wasn't so slow through these past 5 or 6 years.
Then again, there are also the TV shows like Zorro .
If Disney doesn't value these films (which are still beloved by 'baby boomers) they should license them out to companies like Kino Lorber , or Mill Creek who I'd bet would love to get them .

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Was the scarecrow of Romney marsh the last live action classic blu ray release last autumn?
What about ‘Something wicked this way comes? ‘

Reactions: MatthewA

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
I just logged in to the DMC site to browse a bit and see if any specials were running to find a horribly redesigned site!

They've replaced true links with a bunch of JAVA crap - no more opening titles in separate tabs (my favorite way to browse). You have to click on the title which loads a new page. No links on the titles in your wishlist or the cart either. It's sluggish and not as convenient as before.

I tried to leave a complaint on the customer support page but it's broken too.

Last edited:

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Was the scarecrow of Romney marsh the last live action classic blu ray release last autumn?
What about ‘Something wicked this way comes? ‘
Romney Marsh was the last Bluray exclusive released. The last several years Aug or Sept in the end of the yearly releases. In 2018 we got a bunch from Jan-May, 2019 the first was released in April -- there's never been a reliable pattern to go by.

I'm still thinking the Exclusive Line will see some activity -- or at least until recent events intervened -- and I've never thought D+ was meant to replace teh line completely. I've even fantasized out loud a few times I think the could use D+ to advertise DMC and their exclusives making for a bit a profit. $4-5 per month for mass streaming vs a few thousand sales of $10-25 discs. Even it there's only a profit of $1-2 per item, with the free advertising and no revenue sharing it seems like it should work. As I understand the majority of the cost of producing a disc happens well upstream from the physical production itself and Disney's already done that work. Disc sales shouldn't be any real competition for D+ and disc sales seem to be an easy supplement to their revenue

The transfers are already there and it seems like it would be pretty easy to make a glass master and print off 1000 or 3000 at a time even if they farmed all the actual work out to Allied Vaughn who are used to producing small batch pressed BDs

I just logged in to the DMC site to browse a bit and see if any specials were running to find a horribly redesigned site!

They've replaced true links with a bunch of JAVA crap - no more opening titles in separate tabs (my favorite way to browse). You have to click on the title which loads a new page. No links on the titles in your wishlist or the cart either. It's sluggish and not as convenient as before.

They've been working on an update for the last several weeks and the new/old websites were running in parallel for a while via slightly different web addresses. Tuesday morning they threw the switch and now everything goes through the new portal. Some minor problems for me though it sounds like your use is different, but certainly not nearly as bad as the rollout of the new DMR/DMI site or even the redesign of the Enrollment Website a couple years ago. I do miss the View All filter instead of being limited to 40 titles per page adn I still wish they'd add a Newest Release filter in addition to Title, Price, Best Selling

When you make an order now, the tracking button actually takes you to the tracking site directly instead of being delayed several days or having to extract the tracking number manually. That does helps a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darby67

Brian L

Producer
Premium
Reaction score

That explains a lot.

I got an email indicating that there is a sale with 90 titles at 70% off, but I have been unable to get the site to load on my iPad.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViciousKing