What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Isn't that what everyone wanted -- the original presentation at least if they're not going to put multiple tracks on a disc. I don't remember teh 5.1 on the DVD being overly impressive, but it's been a very long time
Yes, from a purist standpoint everyone should be happy with original mono. I'm the oddball because I love a good 5.1 remix. There has been no consistency with the Blu-ray exclusives as some of them have dropped the 5.1 remixes while others like Salados Amigos/Three Caballeros, The Parent Trap and all the Herbie movies have kept the 5.1 remixes while dropping the original mono. Most of the HD digital versions have the 5.1 audio and I'll be curious to see which audio will be offered on Disney+

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
While I won't get my copy for a while yet, because club purchases take FOREVER to reach the west coast, I see that at least one ebay seller got their copy of Scarecrow of Romney Marsh and has displayed a picture of the back cover. Good news is that the aspect ratio is indeed 1.66:1 and the running time 151 minutes, however it states Dolby Digital 1.0 which always means 2-channel mono. So once again they've dropped a 5.1 remix in favor of the original mono. :(
Yes, and that ebay seller wants $86.50 for the Bluray ! That will be the day. He better go to work.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
This is for a DVD release, but I noticed "Westward Ho, the Wagons" has disappeared from my wish list. I did a search and it no longer appears on the club site. I guess it's gone out of print?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Oh, the horror! :) Giving us a film in the original mono sound mix in which it was first presented! We didn't invest in these expensive home theater sound systems for monaural soundtracks! We demand 5.1 remixes! What next? Releasing National Velvet or The Yearling in their original Academy ratio rather than at 1.85 ratio to fill up our 65" screens? :(
I've returned much loved movies *because* the original mono/stereo sound wasn't an option. I'm fine with new audio mixes as long as whatever the original release mix was is kept as an option.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Wow its only $12.50 through the Disney club when you purchase another title or $24.99 by itself.
Randy, I was on the Disney club web site. What do I do too get a deal like that ? $12.50 for Scarecrow and another title for $24.99 ? That's an Amazing deal. Let me know please if possible. Ebay prices right now are Ridiculous ! They will eventually come down in prices. Thanks for the Info !

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Randy, I was on the Disney club web site. What do I do too get a deal like that ? $12.50 for Scarecrow and another title for $24.99 ? That's an Amazing deal. Let me know please if possible. Ebay prices right now are Ridiculous ! They will eventually come down in prices. Thanks for the Info !

But they will never come close to DMC real world Street price. I'm going to guess you were on the enrollment site? Scarecrow will not eligible as part of the initial package for around 60 days, it can be used as one of your required purchases immediately

It's a universal part of the Membership. DMC has a constant " B1 at Regular Price 19.95 or greater, Get the rest of your eligible items equal price or less for 40/50/60% off" The percent discount varies depending on the current month and whether you have bought all your required items (Fulfilled Commitment/VIP) or still under contract.

Ex: Current VIP offer is B1G50% (last month it was B1G60%) -- Buy one exclusive for 24.95, get all the rest for 12.49 (1 or 30)

If you decide you want to join at some time make sure to go to the DMC Main thread here or at Bluray DMC Deal thread and grab the best Promotional Codes so you can get the best deal. If you have more than 2 required purchases with permanent Free Shipping after your initial enrollment of 6 for 13 or 7 for 22, then you are wasting money.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
But they will never come close to DMC real world Street price. I'm going to guess you were on the enrollment site? Scarecrow will not eligible as part of the initial package for around 60 days, it can be used as one of your required purchases immediately

It's a universal part of the Membership. DMC has a constant " B1 at Regular Price 19.95 or greater, Get the rest of your eligible items equal price or less for 40/50/60% off" The percent discount varies depending on the current month and whether you have bought all your required items (Fulfilled Commitment/VIP) or still under contract.

Ex: Current VIP offer is B1G50% (last month it was B1G60%) -- Buy one exclusive for 24.95, get all the rest for 12.49 (1 or 30)

If you decide you want to join at some time make sure to go to the DMC Main thread here or at Bluray DMC Deal thread and grab the best Promotional Codes so you can get the best deal. If you have more than 2 required purchases with permanent Free Shipping after your initial enrollment of 6 for 13 or 7 for 22, then you are wasting money.
Thanks David ! : ) I will just Wait for the prices too drop on Ebay. I bought Treasure Island and 20,000 Leagues Blurays on Ebay both for $50.00 total.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks David ! : ) I will just Wait for the prices too drop on Ebay. I bought Treasure Island and 20,000 Leagues Blurays on Ebay both for $50.00 total.

For current members getting 3 copies (DMC limit per title) with the B1G50% would be $50+tax (roughly $17-18 ea) . If you don't want to join for whatever reason and expect to keep buying these, it might not be a bad thing to pair up with a current member here on the forum or bluray.com and avoid the Ebay routine all-together. A lot of these defacto pairs and triplets exist in various places to avoid the scalper places.

Obviously Ebay prices will start to drop rather quickly once people start receiving their discs. Mine shipped Monday and should arrive by Sat or early next week. I also expect after Halloween the prices will drop -- every year the price of exclusives like Return to Oz BD, the Witch Mountain BD titles, and Mr Boogedy DVD especially tend to spike in October.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just received my copy of The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh and it is indeed the three-part television version, with absolutely no extras (standard for these Disney Club Exclusives). The sound is the original Mono, and the Walt Disney intro's are all 4X3.

I watched the first 10 minutes of part 1, comparing the DVD and this blu-ray, and I can say it looks great. I do have to say, the DVD looked rather good on my Oppo. It's unfortunate they didn't offer the extras, the Leonard Maltin introductions, and the theatrical version of Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow.

However, I am grateful they didn't just put out the theatrical version and not give us the complete Wonderful World of Disney version. If they were only going to give us one or the other, I am glad they offered us this. I think those who enjoy this film will be pleased. I know I am.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s kinda funny that they gave us only the theatrical Davy Crockett in HD, and now only the television Syn in HD. No consistency. Usually there’s an internal pretzel logic to their releases that I can follow but I’m stumped here. But I’m too happy that it exists to care why :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I honestly don't remember. About a couple of minutes at most. I do remember there was a disclaimer to expect some shots that weren't in color, but that this was the only way to reconstruct the original broadcast versions.

All the effort expended on colorizing stuff that was never meant to be in color, such as The Shaggy Dog and The Absent-Minded Professor, but there it might actually have been justified.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I honestly don't remember. About a couple of minutes at most. I do remember there was a disclaimer to expect some shots that weren't in color, but that this was the only way to reconstruct the original broadcast versions.

All the effort expended on colorizing stuff that was never meant to be in color, such as The Shaggy Dog and The Absent-Minded Professor, but there it might actually have been justified.
Since Disney saves everything, and the entire production was shot in color, those missing pieces very likely exist. They just need to dig them up.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So I got my Scarecrow of Romney Marsh Blu-ray today. And I can confirm all that has been reported. Picture quality as usual is top-notch. It's a dual-layer disc. As reported, the episodes are widescreen 1.66:1, but Walt's introductions, just like the DVD are 1.33:1, so it's a little bit disappointing that they didn't make use of the widescreen intros that were separate "extras" on the DVDs. The one really bad thing is the sound. All the other Movie Club exclusives that had mono sound were Dolby Digital 2.0 at 320 kpbs, for this disc it's even worse with Dolby Digital 1.0 at 96 kbps!

So my immediate dilemma was whether to place the 2 DVDs from the Treasures set inside the Blu-ray case or to place the Blu-ray inside the Treasures tin. I finally opted for the latter because the packaging of the Treasures set is just too nice to discard.

Romney.jpg

I also received The Black Hole corrected disc. And as reported the overture is now there, but alas un-skippable. That's a pretty passive-aggressive backlash if you ask me! You want your overture? Fine! Here's your stinking overture and you'll listen to it whether you want to or not! :D

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Since Disney saves everything, and the entire production was shot in color, those missing pieces very likely exist. They just need to dig them up.

My avatar suggests otherwise about Disney "saving everything." They may yet find more Crockett footage in color than they found in 2001, but that was based on what they could find then. Best case scenario, they're in a box somewhere in the vault mislabeled, perhaps with some other show's outtakes even. Worst case scenario, they rotted away from vinegar syndrome before they could be found rather than being actively destroyed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks