1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark-P, Aug 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I let this go the first time around basically because I didn't want to stir up trouble, but I accidentally read the post again, and now I must say just one thing, and please, everyone just let it drop as I don't want this thread to implode. Here goes: To compare Roots to Gone with the Wind and Song of the South is to completely miss the point about what is problematic with those films. Roots is the very antithesis of the other two.

2. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I hope the information we are hearing is correct and it is the complete three-part television version. The fact that they named it The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh and wrote "Disney's thrilling three-part adventure" sure bodes well!

I'm all in for this one.

[​IMG]

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Literally, the name and pic is my entire knowledge other than the mailer blurb I re-posted from the bluray.com poster earlier.

"I got my DMC flyer in the mail today. It confirms Scarecrow of Romney Marsh and Thanksgiving Promise as the October exclusives. It doesn't say anything about Thanksgiving Promise on Blu-ray though, just "first time on DVD".

It says 3-part adventure for Dr Syn, so hopefully it is the TV broadcast version with Walt's intro and outro like on the Treasures DVD. "

I think anything more is going to have to wait until someone checks it or the unlikely chance the website/order will included more info

WaltWiz1901, Darby67 and Jack K like this.
  4. Pete York

Pete York Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Just to show how far we've come, this had one of the smaller print runs of the tins, a mere 39,500.

Darby67 likes this.
  5. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

It is up on the website wth this description:

Disney's thrilling three-part adventure, The Scarecrow Of Romney Marsh, gallops onto Blu-ray for the first time! With his mysterious mask, chilling laugh and eyes more piercing than steel, kindly clergyman by day, Dr. Christopher Syn, rides by night disguised as "The Scarecrow" - the villagers' only hope against the tyranny and taxes of King George III. And when the Royal Army steps up its reign of terror against the local villagers, the vicar-turned-vigilante is put to the ultimate test in this action-packed saga!

Ordered. I cannot wait to compare it against the tin.

6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I'll be very interested to read these comparisons.

Jack K and Darby67 like this.
  7. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Matt, perhaps a review by you? Just sayin...:D

8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I'm flattered, Sean. If they send it, I'll review it! AND do my own comparisons! ;)

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and Jack K like this.
  9. Message #1469 of 1515 Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I got my order placed for Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. We don't have much to go on as far the as specs go. I'm assuming (and hoping) that it will be the same 1.66:1 aspect ratio and 5.1 remixed sound as was on the DVD set. The one bad decision (that made absolutely no sense) on the Disney Treasures set was that the Walt Disney TV introductions in the body of the episodes is 4X3, but they actually had the wider-filmed introductions separately as extras. It seemed silly not to use the widescreen introductions in the actual show which itself was all widescreen. I'm hoping that will be corrected, but with Disney you never know what they are going to do.

image.

image.

holtge, WaltWiz1901, MatthewA and 4 others like this.
  10. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    I watched my DVD set yesterday. I also hope that it's in 1.66:1. They should have included the movie version also like the DVD ! ? : (

Darby67 likes this.
  11. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Sent DMC a message about replacing my BLACK HOLE discs. Took less than 10 minutes total via the Chat Option and most of that was in the queue and then waiting for 'Scott' to look up the replacement procedure. Already got the new order confirmation as well so hopefully next week they'll start shipping.

Also placed a big order for a bunch of the 4K Aug Marvel and Sept Pixar discs plus the Scarecrow Blurays. I was saving my B1G60 offer for this order. Overall that should bring my 4K items to around $15ea pretax. Maybe some will be less around Black Friday, but not really interested in waiting to see what is/isn't easily available this year and cheaper.

12. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I'll be ordering both of these . I hope I can have Thanksgiving Promise in time to watch on that holiday. Not too many Thanksgiving themed films around .

13. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    Just rejoined in order to get Scarecrow of Romney Marsh.

Darby67 likes this.
  14. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Thanks for reminding me today is the day for both Scarecrow and the right Black Hole. I just hafta decide what else I'm gonna add to the order.

Doug Wallen and Darby67 like this.
  15. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Just got shipment email on my Scarecrow order from Wednesday as well as Black Hole Replacement. With USPS holiday I expect an extra day delay, but at least noted they are shipping. A couple people on Bluray said they got Scarecrow shipment emails late in the week so hopefully some 1st impressions by mid week

Darby67 and holtge like this.
  16. holtge

holtge Screenwriter

Gordon Holt
    It also appears that the new shipments of The Black Hole are going out now too. I ordered a copy just towards the end of the last cycle along with several other items. I wondered if my order would be split into two shipments, but it didn't. Got confirmation that the whole thing along with The Black Hole shipped today. Hopefully that writing error has been corrected.

Darby67 likes this.
  17. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I have also recently watched the DVD (of DR. SYN: ALIAS THE SCARECROW, actually) and was delighted by how good the DVD looks on my 65" LG. Really good. From any small distance away, it could almost pass for Blu-ray. And the 1.66 ratio (my favorite ratio for color) also helped to give it a more theatrical look. I wish all of Disney's movies on DVD looked as good as the ones that were part of the Treasures series, but often they looked pretty terrible.

WaltWiz1901 and Darby67 like this.
  18. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    While I won't get my copy for a while yet, because club purchases take FOREVER to reach the west coast, I see that at least one ebay seller got their copy of Scarecrow of Romney Marsh and has displayed a picture of the back cover. Good news is that the aspect ratio is indeed 1.66:1 and the running time 151 minutes, however it states Dolby Digital 1.0 which always means 2-channel mono. So once again they've dropped a 5.1 remix in favor of the original mono. :(

RICK BOND likes this.
  19. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Isn't that what everyone wanted -- the original presentation at least if they're not going to put multiple tracks on a disc. I don't remember teh 5.1 on the DVD being overly impressive, but it's been a very long time

Stephen_J_H and Gary16 like this.
  20. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Oh, the horror! :) Giving us a film in the original mono sound mix in which it was first presented! We didn't invest in these expensive home theater sound systems for monaural soundtracks! We demand 5.1 remixes! What next? Releasing National Velvet or The Yearling in their original Academy ratio rather than at 1.85 ratio to fill up our 65" screens? :(

Dick, BobO'Link, Suzanne.S and 3 others like this.