What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Did anyone else get an unasked-for copy of Avengers Endgame today?

I clearly declined this featured selection when the offer was made. This is the third time this year I've declined a title and been sent it anyway. I know DMC will take it back and refund me, that's not really my issue. My issue is, what's the point in going through the "declining the featured title" dance if they're just gonna do what they want and send it to me anyway?

Yes; fortunately a close friend loves that movie so it will be a gift - but I absolutely declined it.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Going back to The Black Hole for a moment:

The Disney Movie Club Facebook page (in comments) is including this message to anyone asking about the overture:

"If you are experiencing problems with the overture, please contact our friends at Disney Consumer Relations at 800-723-4763 for further assistance.They are my experts and have this logged with solutions for you. Thank you! Priscilla"

I'm just getting my feet under me from being gone for a week so I haven't called yet.

In response to your post, I just came across some very interesting information. I was browsing the Disney Movie Club website and came to the page advertising The Black Hole on blu-ray. It's showing as not available to own until 10/14. Apparently, Disney has recalled all of their existing product to have them re-produced with the author editing corrected? Perhaps that means those who have gotten discs with the overture not accessible will be able to get them replaced as well?

Screenshot_20190910-145711_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
In response to your post, I just came across some very interesting information. I was browsing the Disney Movie Club website and came to the page advertising The Black Hole on blu-ray. It's showing as not available to own until 10/14. Apparently, Disney has recalled all of their existing product to have them re-produced with the author editing corrected? Perhaps that means those who have gotten discs with the overture not accessible will be able to get them replaced as well?

View attachment 62843

That's wild. I'd draw the same conclusion about a new version coming with the Overture where it needs to be. I hope it is...I want to put this disc on my shelf!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
That is very interesting. I would "think" they would offer a swap disc to all purchasers.
Since the only legitimate purchases are through the club, it's possible they will just automatically reship all the copies. If not, I'm sure at the very least the friendly customer service reps will be instructed to re-ship to anyone who requests it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tidbits of new rumor just appeared: Again, no confirmation, not even the DMR Upcoming list yet so no promises

Someone spoke with DMC cast member today and was given a heads up that the next 2 DMC exclusives would release Oct 8 and is yet another major wishlist item for many if it comes to be.

The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh

The Thanksgiving Promise

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just added my DVD version of Romney Marsh to my HTPC yesterday! Would gladly upgrade that to HD.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow, if this is true, great news! I think I will hold off cancelling my subscription to see if this is true.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Great news on The Black Hole being re-authored to make the overture accessible. I'm so glad I held off on ordering it and will place an order as soon as the new copies are available.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Tidbits of new rumor just appeared: Again, no confirmation, not even the DMR Upcoming list yet so no promises

Someone spoke with DMC cast member today and was given a heads up that the next 2 DMC exclusives would release Oct 8 and is yet another major wishlist item for many if it comes to be.

The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh

The Thanksgiving Promise
I wonder if that will actually be the 3 part TV show "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" or the 98 minute theatrical release which was titled "Dr. Syn Alias The Scarecrow"? The Disney Treasures Tin had both versions.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder if that will actually be the 3 part TV show "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" or the 98 minute theatrical release which was titled "Dr. Syn Alias The Scarecrow"? The Disney Treasures Tin had both versions.
Fingers crossed that it is both versions, but with Disney you never know.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm guessing it will be the version released in theaters. Did anyone supply box art or a running time?

Why did they wait 10 years to release it to theaters when the Davy Crockett movies came out right after their TV airing? Was that because the Dr. Syn shows had already aired in color on NBC and Davy's original ABC broadcasts were monochrome?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I’m guessing just the edited theatrical release. That’s what they did with Davy Crockett. Still, I’m reasonably OK with having the TV version on DVD and the theatrical in HD.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing it will be the version released in theaters. Did anyone supply box art or a running time?

Why did they wait 10 years to release it to theaters when the Davy Crockett movies came out right after their TV airing? Was that because the Dr. Syn shows had already aired in color on NBC and Davy's original ABC broadcasts were monochrome?

Pretty everything knows was that single sentence from a phone conversation. No further details are known.

It was made for the US TV show -- 3 parts. It was actually shown theatrically in the UK in 1963 a few months before it was shown in the US. I;m guessing nobody thought about releasing the cut version in the US until after Walt died and they were looking for a cheap way to get something into the theaters. I don't know the why's about the delay, but maybe people talked about it so much for a decade they figured they had to do something

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I’m guessing just the edited theatrical release. That’s what they did with Davy Crockett. Still, I’m reasonably OK with having the TV version on DVD and the theatrical in HD.

Wouldn't it be even better to have both in HD? Wouldn't they have been mastered in 1080p at minimum by the time the Treasures tin came out?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sure, I’d gladly take both and I imagine that they did remaster both in HD... but if the Davy Crockett release is historical precedence, the DMC exclusive is more likely to be a bare bones release of just the feature version.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I don't doubt that. My guess is that Disney thinks they can make more money selling it twice.

The other TV movie is from the 1980s*, so just to be technically able to make a Blu-ray out of that is an achievement in itself.

*They had me at Jason Bateman. They don't make this freakin' boycott thing easy, do they? And as if the Silver Spoons-Golden Girls axis wasn't already crowded enough, the venn diagram gets bigger since Anne Haney, Dorothy's hospital roommate from season 1 (and Robert Reed's real-life neighbor towards the end of his life), is in it, too. And now they own Arrested Development and Mrs. Doubtfire.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My guess is that Disney thinks they can make more money selling it twice.

I don’t think it’s that. There’s zero indicator that the Davy Crockett series is coming to Blu-ray. Disney in general (as well as most physical media companies) are really moving away from putting shows on Blu-ray. That market has been all but abandoned.

I think Disney is putting out some of these highly requested titles now to get the most out of what’s left of a dying market. Pretty soon Disney will be giving away this content for $7 a month or less. There may come a time where $25 individual releases aren’t selling because consumers may not see that as a good value when a $7 subscription they already have includes the same material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks