1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark-P, Aug 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    It is embarrassing that Disney today STILL cannot get right what Anchor Bay could get right 20 years ago. The crew of that ship isn't the only thing that went down a black hole.

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I don't see the DMC will have a presence at the Expo itself based on the map of the show floor. The only DMC event I know about is the one at DCA and those tickets went FAST last week. If I find someone from DMC, I'll see what I can pry out of them.

MatthewA likes this.
  3. Message #1363 of 1446 Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    How many venues actually played that overture initially? IIRC it wasn't on any home video issue until Anchor Bay got the rights to that along with the other titles they licensed from the studio. The first time I actually saw it was on The Disney Channel on August 2, 1992 as part of The Magical World of Disney and IIRC it didn't have the overture there either.

Putting it there shows how big of a priority it is with the company management. They could have put it in Star Wars Land. Based on early reports about the crowds it seems there's room for everyone in that world except, apparently, for the things that made people like Star Wars in the first place. Even Iger can't deny they didn't get as many people there as they wanted. Modern Disney has always wanted as little to do with this era as possible, even when it was in semi-recent memory. Even if it wasn't their finest hour and a half, it still deserves more attention to detail than this.

At least its release and that of 20000 Leagues weren't tied to remakes that have yet to happen. That was what people feared before now.

4. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    I saw it a number of times on its initial release and it always started with the overture, then the curtains opened up. Oddly, the only two films I ever saw with overtures during their initial runs were The Black Hole and Star Trek - The Motion Picture, which were both released in December, 1979.

holtge and B-ROLL like this.
  5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Since I wasn't alive for the theatrical release, I assumed they only used it in major markets such as New York or LA.

6. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Don't forget the very first Anchor Bay release didn't have a right front channel on the 5.1 track. This was recalled and re-pressed.

Neil

MatthewA likes this.
  7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Leaving even less of an excuse for Disney to not fix a mis-authored disc.

Neil S. Bulk likes this.
  8. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    +1
    Well and Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang as I recall.
    Krakatoa ... of Java had one I'm pretty sure ...but I was too young to really remember ...
    All except ST-TMP were at the same theater

9. Message #1369 of 1446 Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry Stunt Coordinator

Mark McSherry
    I use MKV to sometimes backup my blurays. The Black Hole arrived today so I ripped it with my PC. MKV only recognized one track which I then ripped and played with PowerDVD. The rip included the opening John Barry overture. But when I tried to play the disc on my 4K bluray player, no 2:26 minute overture but straight to the opening credits.

So I can play the overture with movie on my home theater by transferring my 22 GB rip to a USB thumbdrive, then plugging it into the USB port on my bluray player. But that's not a ready solution for everyone.

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

A-MAZE-ING.

11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I just ripped it for my HTPC and like Mark, I was only presented with the version with the overture as a ripping option. Guess this is one disc I’ll never end up watching directly.

12. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    So it's there, they had no intention of leaving it off, which is good. But they made it difficult to access the way most people who watch movies on disc watch them: on the disc itself. Not on purpose necessarily, but I don't get the sense anyone bothered to go back and check before making copies of the disc.

Of course, if you had the soundtrack CD, you could always play the overture off of that. Except it's not 5.1. At least the audio is not encoded in a lossy format like some of the DMC Blu-rays have been. Case in point: The Journey of Natty Gann. That was encoded at a low bitrate Dolby 2.0 track when even the old pan-and-scan laserdisc could technically provide lossless audio!

I'm not going to think of the extras that could have been. There were a couple TV specials promoting the film — one was for the anthology series — and neither have ever seen the light of day on home video, just Disney Channel reruns years ago and independently of the movie itself.

13. cb1

cb1 Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    I watched my copy of The Black Hole last night. I enjoyed it very much.
    While I can appreciate the discourse over the overture, it doesn't bother me.
    I did find that the volume is on the same level with the Last Jedi, I had to really turn up the dial to get decent levels.

Picture quality was nice. The scenes without the optical effects were really crisp.

I give it a 8/10

B-ROLL likes this.
  14. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    In space ... nobody can hear you ... ;)!
    Thanks for the review.

skylark68 likes this.
  15. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I was going to hold off on ordering the Black Hole but I just couldn't help myself. Maybe Disney will fix the problem with the overture and I'll get a replacement disc. If not, oh well, it's still one of my favorite films and I can retire my old DVD. I went ahead and got 20,000 Leagues for good measure as well.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  16. Brian L

Brian L Producer

Rodney and skylark68 like this.
  17. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    Great article. It’s interesting that NASA astronaut Gordon Cooper was brought in, one of the original Mercury 7. One of my favorite aspects of the film is the black hole swirling out just beyond the Cygnus. It’s a forbidding but colorful menace that is always there and always seems a threat during the entire picture.

18. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I received my Black Hole blue Ray but have not watched it yet. Bummer about the overture. I'm a big fan of John Barry's music. This has a great score very reminiscent of his James Bond scores. He was probably working on this score right after Moonraker.

19. David Norman

David Norman Producer

The overture is on the disc, it just takes an effort to get to it.

Actually for those using PCBD/HTPC players with PowerDVD or Leawo or similar PC Players it's rather easy, but that seems far less common these days than a few years ago. I'm not sure what in the disc authoring allows the PC player to see it as a separate Title, but the standalone players don't.

For those those rip all their discs to PLEX or a Hard Drive it's not an issue. I think a couple people have sent emails to Buena Vista asking if this is an error or intentional, but too early for them to have replied yet

20. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I see all this talk about offloading the Blu-Ray to a PC. However the main issue is that the Blu-Ray won’t play as expected ON A BLU-RAY PLAYER