What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (3 Viewers)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wasn't going to double dip because I thought the existing UK Blu-ray was pretty darn good and a step above the VHS and DVD releases. But now that I've read the extras and learned that it's also region-free…COMPLIANCE!

But it makes it all the more disappointing that Disney proper is forgoing extras on their catalog titles, especially a classic like 20000 Leagues that got the red-carpet treatment on laser and DVD. On the other hand, In Search of the Castaways* got a bare-bones 4x3 laserdisc port for its DVD; I just went ahead and got the laserdisc release since it didn't have the added MPEG-2 artifacts. The Moon-Spinners, which I own on DVD, is in the same boat; hopefully that will be among the next wave of upgrades.

And now that Nixon got its laserdisc extended cut upgraded to Blu-Ray thanks to the Kino Lorber deal, there's no excuse for leaving Bedknobs and Broomsticks, first released when the man was President, in an unfinished state. The 50th anniversary is two years from now. It's still not too late to re-restore it in time for that.**

*Which preemptively united My Fair Lady and Gigi by putting Wilfrid Hyde-White with Maurice Chevalier.
**I also heard rumors someone found a better copy of the uncut 1958 South Pacific in Europe than the one used as the basis for the Roadshow DVD and Blu-ray. WIll the Fox deal give Disney any claims to that and/or 1955's Oklahoma!?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm very exited to get both films which I've been hoping for, for quite some time . Let's hope , this will be the beginning of a new string of vintage "Walt Era " classics on Blu-ray.
I got these two films this week and I'm happy to have them on Blu-ray . Anyone know if we'll get any other "Walt -era films" soon ? I'm looking for Johnny Tremaine , Darby O'Gill, Great Locomotive Chase , Shaggy Dog , Greyfriars Bobbye , and Westward Ho The wagons right now .

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I got these two films this week and I'm happy to have them on Blu-ray . Anyone know if we'll get any other "Walt -era films" soon ? I'm looking for Johnny Tremaine , Darby O'Gill, Great Locomotive Chase , Shaggy Dog , Greyfriars Bobbye , and Westward Ho The wagons right now .

All great suggestions. I too would be thrilled to get any of these on blu-ray. Sadly, nothing regarding any of them has yet been announced, but just a few short weeks ago, the same could be said of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and In Search of the Castaways. There is always the hope that one or all of these will be released!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nothing pending on the usual pre-release page, but 3-4 weeks is normally about the timing. With August already loaded with 4K Marvel releases (Iron Man x3, Endgame, Thor x2 all apparently on 8/13) then Aladdin (2019) in September along with hopefully Aladdin Signature 4K and Doctor Strange 4K. It might be a bit crowded, but I'm hoping by the middle to end of July we'll see some sort of 8/13 releases

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
If the older fifties , sixties , and seventies era films just come out once in a while , I'll be happy . Just as long as Disney Inc . doesn't abandon them.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
20,000 Leagues was my trigger to finally join DMC over the weekend. I think all 8 discs average about $85-90 total. (5 for $1, three at 24.95). Really looking forward to watching these at last on my front projection set-up.

BD-EXCL-OLD YELLER
-
BD-EXCL-SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON
-
BD-EXCL-TREASURE ISLAND 65TH
-
BD-EXCL-DAVY CROCKETT 2-MOVIE
-
BD-EXCL-BLACKBEARD'S GHOST

BD-EXCL-20000 LEAGUES UNDR SEA

BD-EXCL-APPLE DUMPLING GANG 40

BD-EXCL-THE PARENT TRAP (1961)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this deserves a full thread by itself like 20000 Leagues, but I'm sure someone will start one if they feel like it does:

New UPCOMING ANNOUNCEMENT on DMR site:

georgeofthejungle1560976399923.png
blackhole1560976361453.png

It doesn't have a release date, but George of the Jungle is slotted inside all the August 4K titles and The Black Hole at the end which PROBABLY means August 13 is the go date. Like always, the DMC Exclusives do not have a preorder period on DMC and go live
on release day.

As usual -- extras are likely missing or extremely limited

New items aren't eligible for enrollment (the initial 5 for $1 or 11.95/8.95 bonus) for the first 60 days, but can be ordered as a regular item and will count as a Full Priced Commitment assuming you pay the regular $24.95 price.

it is expected that 20000 Leagues and In Search of the Castaways would be enrollment eligible probable around 8/19

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Again, I think the rush to get this stuff out is due to the upcoming Disney+ channel.

If they can sell this stuff on Blu-ray prior to putting it on their channel...

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's too little, too late for me. A few years ago, I'd have bought this, but I already have it on DVD and in HD in iTunes, and I'm not joining the club just to get The Black Hole. As it looks like there aren't going to be extras, the only advantage it'll have over the iTunes stream is a higher bitrate.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, for those who aren't partial to streaming and want The Black Hole on Blu-ray, this should be a great announcement for them. I'm perfectly satisfied with the streaming version I now have.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Yes, for those who aren't partial to streaming and want The Black Hole on Blu-ray, this should be a great announcement for them. I'm perfectly satisfied with the streaming version I now have.
I’m quite happy with my Vudu version and see your point. But as for me, this is one I want in my Blu-ray library. That and I won’t have to worry about it being yanked from the subscription.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm so excited GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE ... featuring the thespian skills of Thomas Haden Church ;) ! ...Watch out for that tree :dance::rock::drum::banana::dancing-banana-04:!

Oh yeah and the other one listed

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I’ll piggyback a copy into my next big order when they run a 60% off sale, but since I already have it streaming, I’m happy to wait until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks