What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (2 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Right. If Disney were going to release the original trilogy on Blu-ray, they would certainly do so as a major, highly promoted release to general retail. It would certainly not be among the exclusives to the Movie Club, which are lower-profile-than-Star-Wars titles that Disney believes serve a more niche audience. So I agree this is not really the thread for that discussion.

In terms of titles that actually might be coming as club exclusives, I wonder if there is a correlation between how many copies were sold of the most recent exclusives last year and whether or not they will be doing more. Obviously, I don't know how many copies of the exclusives have been sold, but Disney does, and they have to be basing their business model on something. Are the sales numbers significant, or do the exclusives do their job simply by making people sign up for the club to get them? All hypothetical questions for us since I don't think anyone here would have the answer. But interesting to think about, nonetheless.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Honestly just tired of the 100Kth thread and 100Mth post hijacked by Han Shot First and Hamry -- geez it was tiresome a decade ago and every other thread on the internet doesn't have to rely on yet another illegal bootleg discussion.

I don't have anything close to actual numbers -- the best I can do is general information from someone who has contacts inside Disney. The releases last year for the most post sold pretty well and somewhat surprising. SA/TTC apparently surprised (if not shocked and astounded) the suits with just how popular it was and they had to rush extra pressing bc the initial run was gone almost immediately. FF and TPT doubles and the May releases not surprisingly sold well.

I don't know why they didn't seem to try to repeat the success, but some speculation is they dumped everything they had in the pipeline for 2018/19 into last year and are concentrating all their employess on getting the streaming service going. After that is up and running, then maybe the Exclusives may come back a bit more consistently.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
concentrating all their employess on getting the streaming service going.

That makes sense. Bob Iger has called the streaming service "the number one priority for our company" in 2019 (I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember where I read the actual quote, but I'm pretty sure it was something like that.) While they could certainly find movies to release as exclusives this year, there's no way they would prioritize those over the streaming service.

Hopefully the fact that the releases last year did well mean that they will continue to see value in putting things like these out, even once they have the streaming service as an option to place catalog films on.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I wonder what the first 4K UHD exclusive will be. I'd be happy for 'Return to Oz' or 'The Black Hole' to be released even as an exclusive. Or how about 'The Black Cauldron'?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I wonder what the first 4K UHD exclusive will be. I'd be happy for 'Return to Oz' or 'The Black Hole' to be released even as an exclusive. Or how about 'The Black Cauldron'?
There's other Jules in their crown (at 20,000 Leagues) that would be a better choice ;)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
There's other Jules in their crown (at 20,000 Leagues) that would be a better choice ;)

Agreed about 20,000 Leagues being a better choice for their 4K release, though Black Cauldron being shot in Technirama would give it a slight edge in picture quality.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Seems to be a reach to think of a UHD as an exclusive. Disney's only has 20 Wide Release titles to day and another 4-5 in the pipeline for imminent release. It seems several years before you even need to think deep title releases.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I haven't seen this posted here yet. From the Disney Movie Rewards site, we know this is coming soon as a club exclusive. It isn't too much of a surprise:

Mermaid sequels.png

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
On the coming soon section of the DMR website, you can see the cover art for the new DMC blu-rays for "A Goofy Movie" and "An Extremely Goofy Movie." Yes, I'm disappointed that once again the Walt-era classics are being ignored, but I would be lying if I said I'm not happy to see "A Goofy Movie." I have fond memories of my parents taking me to the theater to see the film when I was nine years old. It'll have a place in my collection eventually. Plus, this will be a nice upgrade over the MAR DVD (which I have and will hold onto primarily for the inclusion of the 1955 "Walt Disney Presents" episode "The Goofy Success Story").

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Those must have gone up this afternoon. I actually checked that page around NOOn since Disney did a big Maintenance Update last night.

No release date, but I'm guessing 3/26 which is the next regular DMC Cycle. It's slotted after Mary Poppins Returns on the Coming Soon and they have always listed in Release order so I don't think it will be earlier. There are going to a lot of really happy 20-30 somethings who have had this at the top of their Animated list for a long time.

goofymoviebluray1552072175562.png
extremelygoofymoviebluray1552072367042.png

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
On the coming soon section of the DMR website, you can see the cover art for the new DMC blu-rays for "A Goofy Movie" and "An Extremely Goofy Movie." Yes, I'm disappointed that once again the Walt-era classics are being ignored, but I would be lying if I said I'm not happy to see "A Goofy Movie." I have fond memories of my parents taking me to the theater to see the film when i was nine years old. It'll have a place in my collection eventually. Plus, this will be a nice upgrade over the MAR DVD (which I have and will hold onto primarily for the inclusion of the 1955 "Walt Disney Presents" episode "The Goofy Success Story").

Not the top of my list, but I'm very happy they're coming. Slowly but surely-and I know way too slowly for some of us-titles are being checked off the unreleased list.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wow.

I'd given up hope on those ever coming. A Goofy Movie has never even had a widescreen DVD release, so this is going to be a big treat.

Surprised they are doing them separately instead of as a 2-movie collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks