What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I purchased an HD streaming version of Darby O'Gill back in March when it was on sale for St. Patrick's Day. It looks gorgeous in high definition! I decided to buy 20,000 Leagues a little while afterwards just to see if it had been remastered in HD too. Wow! It looks awesome as well. I agree with the rest of you that I hope they are both on the short list for the exclusive blu-ray treatment soon!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Holtge, Where did you purchase the 2 Disney classics ?? Amazon Prime ?
There are HD versions of many of the Disney live-action films available pretty much anywhere you would buy digital. I will say, however, that where you watch your purchases can sometimes make a huge difference. For example, I bought Darby O'Gill. Thanks to Movies Anywhere, I have access to the film on any number of streaming services. There are different transfers on different sites. Some are 1.33:1 and some are 1.78:1. Sound is also different on different sites, with some sounding quite tinny and compressed and some sounding full and lovely. In any case, it pays to try films via different services, since you can purchase it once and view it wherever you'd like. For the record, the Amazon transfer of Darby O'Gill was the most pleasing to my eyes and ears.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There are HD versions of many of the Disney live-action films available pretty much anywhere you would buy digital. I will say, however, that where you watch your purchases can sometimes make a huge difference. For example, I bought Darby O'Gill. Thanks to Movies Anywhere, I have access to the film on any number of streaming services. There are different transfers on different sites. Some are 1.33:1 and some are 1.78:1. Sound is also different on different sites, with some sounding quite tinny and compressed and some sounding full and lovely. In any case, it pays to try films via different services, since you can purchase it once and view it wherever you'd like. For the record, the Amazon transfer of Darby O'Gill was the most pleasing to my eyes and ears.
The Amazon version of Darby, just like iTunes and Vudu is the older 1.33:1 transfer. The newer 1.66:1 transfer which has gone through a digital cleanup to remove all the specks, is only available on Movies Anywhere and FandangoNow.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Rick, I bought Darby through FandangoNow and 20,000 Leagues from Vudu. But yes, as Brian and Mark have pointed out, you can watch the movies on multiple platforms thanks to Movies Anywhere. Hopefully they both will be available on blu-ray through DMC before too much longer.

Last edited:

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Got my order in today! Thanks to the buy one at regular price/everything else 50% off special going on for the next four weeks, my order consisted of:

1. The Journey of Natty Gann
2. The Three Musketeers
3. The Apple Dumpling Gang
4. Swiss Family Robinson
5. Dead Poets Society

Got hosed on shipping charges, but saved more than $60 on my overall order. Not too shabby!

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I've owned all the Disney movies that have released on VHS, LD, DVD and a few on BD. All the others I've given away to my grandkids, except the LDs.

The only two physical copies that I'm interested in are MIGHTY JOE YOUNG and if they ever release 20,000 LEAGUES.

Is there anyone that would take PayPal from me for the cost of buying the disc, mailing it to me of MIGHTY JOE YOUNG? It's a little tough to pay $35 for it on eBay.

Thanks!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've owned all the Disney movies that have released on VHS, LD, DVD and a few on BD. All the others I've given away to my grandkids, except the LDs.

The only two physical copies that I'm interested in are MIGHTY JOE YOUNG and if they ever release 20,000 LEAGUES.

Is there anyone that would take PayPal from me for the cost of buying the disc, mailing it to me of MIGHTY JOE YOUNG? It's a little tough to pay $35 for it on eBay.

Thanks!

If you haven't had any other offers to help, drop me a PM.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Alright! All three new Avengers 4K disks are eligible for the VIP discount (60% off after first title). Took advantage of this and also got the two new Pooh movies and Journey of Natty Gan, all for ~$100.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I noticed that Amazon Prime video has Disney's Kidnapped (1960) in widescreen and it looks the Best I have ever seen ! I have the UK dvd it's full screen and ok quality. It should be released on Bluray. What are they waiting for already ????

I always wondered why that movie didn't get better treatment on DVD in the United States. All it got was a bare bones Disney Movie Club release with the transfer ported over from the 1990s laserdisc.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Alright! All three new Avengers 4K disks are eligible for the VIP discount (60% off after first title). Took advantage of this and also got the two new Pooh movies and Journey of Natty Gan, all for ~$100.

I just took a gander...All three Avengers in 4k, Black Panther 4k, Incredibles 4k and the two new Pooh movies...$113 shipped. I'll likely bite on Friday, aka payday.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Got my order in today! Thanks to the buy one at regular price/everything else 50% off special going on for the next four weeks, my order consisted of:

2. The Three Musketeers
4. Swiss Family Robinson
5. Dead Poets Society

Got hosed on shipping charges, but saved more than $60 on my overall order. Not too shabby!

Order arrived today! :banana:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Title: The Journey of Natty Gann
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Single Layer
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 surround (320 kbps)
Subtitles: English SDH

I think I've finally figured out the rhyme and reason as to why some Disney Exclusives have lossless sound and why some don't. Apparently whoever is mastering discs only uses DTS-HD Master Audio when a 5.1 mix is available. Anything that is 2.0 is always mastered as lossy Dolby Digital. They really need to correct this practice. Natty Gann was a Dolby Stereo movie and deserves a lossless encode!

JONG1.jpg

JONG2.jpg

JONG3.jpg

JONG4.jpg

JONG5.jpg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Title: The Three Musketeers
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Single Layer
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH

TTM1.jpg

TTM2.jpg

TTM3.jpg

TTM4.jpg

TTM5.jpg

TTM6.jpg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

2. The Three Musketeers
4. Swiss Family Robinson
5. Dead Poets Society

Yeah, I was holding out for a free shipping offer, but I figured getting as big a discount as I was on eight movies worked for me. All three Avengers movies, Black Panther, Incredibles and Wrinkle in Time in 4k plus Pooh's Grand Adventure and Piglet's Big Movie for $150 out the door. I really can't argue that.

Only Solo wasn't in the order...that title wasn't eligible as far as I could tell.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was holding out for a free shipping offer, but I figured getting as big a discount as I was on eight movies worked for me. All three Avengers movies, Black Panther, Incredibles and Wrinkle in Time in 4k plus Pooh's Grand Adventure and Piglet's Big Movie for $150 out the door. I really can't argue that.

Only Solo wasn't in the order...that title wasn't eligible as far as I could tell.

FS with the B1G60% offer is almost unheard of at least in the last 2-3 years unless it's hooked onto a separate offer like a preorder that give Free Shipping (those have pretty much gone away) or the 1-2 week Pre-Xmas Free Shipping offer and I can't remember if a 50 or 60% offer was active them.
FS with B1G 50% happens intermittently, but turns out to be slightly more expensive than the above offer for most orders.

Over the years running various carts I find those 2 deals are usually pretty close in total price.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've had FS a couple times since I signed up, and I can't really argue with what I got for the price. Amazon just tends to spoil me, I guess. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks