What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Have these recent releases been DNR'd to death, or is natural film grain present? Always a concern with Disney.

Dear Dick:

As I said before, it looks excellent, either on my 80 inch Sony or projected in 4K on my JVC RS420 4K Reference Series Projector. Crisp image and good solid grain looking very indigenous to its source. Disney has done their homework on this deep catalog title. Let's pray The Journey of Natty Gann looks as good.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is my absolute MUST HAVE Disney exclusive.
But yes, I'll second The Happiest Millionaire, anything with Haley Mills, (choke) Song of the South, A Light in the Forest, Third Man on the Mountain, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, Deep in My Heart, and, a title I never see advertised with any love anywhere - the North Avenue Irregulars.

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
They probably need more restoration work to be Blu-ray ready. Some of them probably haven't been remastered for 20 years.

A lot of their back catalog has already been restored/remastered and is available in HD via streaming. That includes Happiest Millionaire which I just watched last week and looks stellar in HD (I found the film boring as heck but it at least looked beautiful). I'm not saying they still shouldn't release physically on Blu because they absolutely should, but many of the old live-action films are at least available in HD (but not all - I went to watch The Wild Country last week and discovered it was still SD stream). For some of the old ones where the only physical release is a terrible pan-and-scan DVD, the HD counterpart can be a major revelation, for instance in the case of "Follow Me, Boys" (for Fred MacMurray films, I'd rather they release this over Happiest Millionaire any day, but hope they release both). I don't understand why Disney is so darn slow with their back catalog and also why they virtually have ignored their Touchstone stuff including long-wanted films like "What About Bob?" etc.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is my absolute MUST HAVE Disney exclusive.
But yes, I'll second The Happiest Millionaire, anything with Haley Mills, (choke) Song of the South, A Light in the Forest, Third Man on the Mountain, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, Deep in My Heart, and, a title I never see advertised with any love anywhere - the North Avenue Irregulars.

So Dear to My Heart?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A note for those who might have been waiting on certain titles to be available on the initial enrollment package -- Freaky Friday pair have been enrollment eligible for a couple weeks and now Parent Trap pair are now eligible. Normally new releases take around 60-90 days to
become eligible, but there never has been an exact timing. in past years it was unusual to become eligible in less than 90 days, but this year almost all of them have become eligible closer to 60 days -- not counting items like Star Wars and 4K which are unlikely to be eligible anytime in the forseeable future.

Hopefully that bodes well for Holes and Three Musketeers to be eligible by the end of July or it would be quite easy to do a full cycle enrollment of 8 or 9 items with just the current 2018 DMC Exclusives using Holes and TTM as the 2 required commitment purchases using the premium promo codes..

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The regular type exclusives like Natty Gann never have a preorder time period -- at least officially. On the website they go active on release day. If you call a few days before release sometimes a CSR will let you order them ahead of schedule, but that's not always allowed.

Some of the animated exclusives that fall outside of the "Yellow Border" releases like Peter Pan II, Bambi II, etc will have a normal preorder

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Thanks David. I tried calling customer service today, but where it's the weekend, they were closed. I'll either try calling them again on Monday or wait until it shows up on the website.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks David. I tried calling customer service today, but where it's the weekend, they were closed. I'll either try calling them again on Monday or wait until it shows up on the website.

DMC is a M-F operation. I meant to mention that in the post, but got distracted. I've heard of people getting permission to order it as early as a week ahead, but that is very YMMV and typically is denied. Monday orders seem a bit better than 50/50.

If you're going to order more than one item, apparently teh VIP offer on Tuesday changes to B1 G60% off after 2-3 months with the best deal 50% and no FS. I put off ordering Holes and Three Musketeers specifically due to that so with the 60% off I may have to finally break down and put an order in. Avengers 4K and Avenger 2 4K should also pop up for preorder on the site on Tuesday.

Just guessing, but Holes and Three Musketeers are 8 weeks Tuesday which means at least some chance this week that those might be enrollment eligible though it may be later in the week or possible sometime next week which would be 60 days. In 2018 most items have become eligible between 56 days and and 75 days. I don't think a single itme has waited until the previous norm of 90 days. That means a bunch of titles may soon become eligible as initial picks -- Black Panther, Wrinkle in Time, Peter Pan Signature, and Peter Pan 2 Exclusive.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I've actually been following this thread for more than a month now. I've found it incredibly helpful and fun to read. I decided to join DMC after reading the reviews of so many on this thread who had nothing but good things to say about the club.

For my initial enrollment, I got the blu-ray combo packs of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, and Bambi, and the blu-ray exclusives of Old Yeller and Pollyanna. Then, I added the Mary Poppins blu-ray combo pack and the Cool Runnings blu-ray exclusive as my 6th and 7th choices. I've been very happy with all of them!

About a month ago, I made another purchase of the original Parent Trap as my second commitment title and Holes for 40% off. So I've purchased nine blu-rays from the club already and have only spent about $70 with shipping. Certainly worth it so far to me!

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Thank you! Not sure why I waited so long to jump on board, but I'm happy I did today. I look forward to being a part of the group. Thanks for welcoming me!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I see you're a father of three girls. Check out the "Father of the Bride" link in my signature. There's a story there about the day my daughter got married and it's got a Disney theme to it! ;)

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Gosh Mike! I just read your Guideposts article about letting go when your daughter got married. That is exactly how I've felt with the weddings of both of my two older girls! My youngest hasn't found Mr. Right yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

You must have seen the photo of me and my middle daughter at her reception. Boy is it ever hard to let them go. I swear I worry about my three girls more now than I ever did while they were growing up. That's so cool about that song though. I get misty eyed just thinking about that movie. My girls and I loved Jessie too. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks