What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (2 Viewers)

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
I for one am excited for the Mighty Ducks. Being 32, I grew up watching these and Cool Runnings.
However, these are not the only titles I've purchased. I like a lot of the Disney Live Action titles and I'm a big supporter of a title finally getting an OAR, or close to OAR release. For instance, I've purchased near all of the DMC releases as many of them were the first time the titles were released OAR widescreen or 16:9. I always figure if these sell, more will come out. Yes, some of the titles I've purchased were ones I had never seen before, but I've never been disappointed with any of them. I just like movies and the ability to own them and watch them whenever I want. I also like the ability to bring them to a friends house.
From what I read every day, I come from a dying breed of people. I've never been a fan of streaming for movies. I don't mind streaming for a tv show, but I never or rarely do that for a movie. There's always been great pleasure in buying and opening a new release, or the joy of a title I've always wanted finally coming out to own and in OAR. Heck, I'm a big supporter of 3D since now you can even see those films the way they were meant to be seen...which to me is awesome!
I still have many favorites from all companies that have not yet come out. I just hope that programs like this continue and that boutique labels stay around and keep getting sales so that more back catalog titles will get remastered and released properly.

As for titles I hope the DMC release, I have a ton and they are from all of the timeline years.

I for one would be thrilled if the Honey I Shrunk the kids trilogy came out.
Man of the House
Blank Check
Journey of Natty Gann
Happiest Millionaire
Follow Me Boys
Flubber
Mighty Joe Young
Jungle 2 Jungle
Angels in the Outfield
Midnight Madness
Night Crossing
The Island at the Top of the World
No Deposit No Return
Ltn Robin Crusoe
Kidnapped

and many more.

I also hope that someone convinces Disney to license their live action titles from Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures etc. I know Kino has a deal with them, but it is mainly for the ABC titles (which I am thrilled they have) and the Selznick titles. They have some Touchstone and Hollywood titles, but only ones that Disney did not release themselves or license out.

They have SOOO many titles that got full frame or non-anamorphic widescreen dvd releases...since at first they did not support anamorphic enhancement. I'm hoping for a day when we can have a proper release of titles like Up Close and Personal, Eddie, Six Days Seven Nights, Metro, and others. Disney seems to have no desire to release these...so WHY don't they let a company like Kino release them? It doesn't make sense to me. If you don't want to take the risk of releasing them. Make some money and let Kino take the risk? I have the same question for the majority of the Paramount titles. Kino and Olive can only license titles that Paramount didn't release themselves...even though there are a TON of titles that need blujray releases!

I truly hope that this is not close to the end of the road for physical media. However, I feel truly blessed as with all of the boutique labels, the past few years has been AMAZING for titles I've always wanted to own and come out. Regardless of what will happen, it is truly an amazing time to be a physical media/ bluray owner.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's the key to all the CD/Movie/Book clubs. You must average the entire purchase package to get the true cost per title and then cancel/rejoin as soon as you've fulfilled your obligation. If you stay a member after fulfilling the contract and continue to purchase overpriced items you're the exact consumer they truly want and the ones that make them the most money by overpaying. They tolerate the people who cycle accounts but really want the average consumer who doesn't think about maximizing their savings or even consider account cycling, the same people who purchase titles for MSRP on release date.

Even with staying a member, as long as you group purchases with available discounts it still works pretty well.
Years ago I bough 1 3D and got the rest 60% off and back then FS wasn't that hard so I ended up with 15 +/- 3D Disneys for around $16ea. No way to do that with enrollments, though I guess I could have used them as 2 commitments per membership and decreased the average price quite a bit, but I think I've done 4 cycle in 8 years (maybe 5).

Buying one "Full priced" item and even 1 or 2 at 50/60% makes for a pretty good deal esp if you can get the discounted 24.99 titles to count as a trigger item which normally is $29.95. Probably saved up over time I could have done an extra few rolled cycles and saved $3-4 average per item, but I'm OK with that.

The only that really doesn't work well financially is buying full priced title with no extra items or enrolling with items that are fairly easily available for $7-10 ea anyway. but if folks feel like they are getting a good deal and they're happy I'm perfectly happy for them too since that make DMC happy which keep the Club open and producing more items overall. That certain is better than folding up tents like they apparently have on most TV sets. I really wonder is Once Upon a Time will finish on Bluray in the US, but the new Marvel based series have I think shown their colors and those sets will only be International release on disc and things liek Scrubs, Desp Housewives, Castle, etc are never going to see disc.
Fox has been doing this for years and have multiple non starters and partial series.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The only that really doesn't work well financially is buying full priced title with no extra items or enrolling with items that are fairly easily available for $7-10 ea anyway.

I think that's basically my problem at this point - the only Disney titles that I'm missing and would be interested in purchasing are ones that are readily available for $10 on Amazon, but that DMC wants $24.99 - $29.99 for, plus shipping. I'm also the kind of person who tends to buy new releases on street date, so it would be difficult for me to wait for six or seven new releases in a row to come out to justify cancelling and re-enrolling. The best I can do is hope that a couple interesting exclusives might come out at the same time so that I can save on shipping and get a discount on one of the titles.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
IMG_1325.PNG OK, I've been jonesin for a Blu release for a particular (or peculiar) title since I've been on the board. I'll put this Sony/Columbia film to TT as a suggestion.

As the old saying goes, strike while the iron is hot (relatively speaking in this case). With the success (among the home theater enthusiasts crowd) of the just released Directors Cut of Saturday Night Fever (1977), I would like to see TT license and release that other successful disco-theme movie Thank God Its Friday (1978). This would be a good time to strike while the good memories of the SNF release is fresh in the minds of folks. Besides the 40th Anniversary of the theatrical release of TGIF is just a year away. I'd venture to say that TGIF would be a 3000 unit sell-out.
Full disclosure, TT has indicated some time ago that TGIF is not the genre of film that they normally release. I will ask them to reconsider and make an exception. Here's a good chance to bring TGIF to the Light of Blu.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Brad, I think you might be in the wrong thread... this is the Disney Movie Club exclusives thread. I don't believe DMC would license a title from Sony.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Once The Golden Girls became available via Hulu streaming, that showed where Disney's current priorities were. On the plus side, they did make the first two seasons available in stereo. The DVDs didn't. Unfortunately, the only song they couldn't clear was "Purple Rain," which they could clear for the Season 1 DVD released when Prince was still among the living. But none of the spinoffs or sequels are available. You'd think Empty Nest would have a season out if Warner and Sony can unearth a bunch of one-season wonders.

It's always a trade-off with them. Every single time. Even if they actually did change their minds about Song of the South, one can only imagine where the trade-off would be and whether it would affect that or any other film of any medium.

At a recent fan event in Anaheim honoring the 50th anniversary of The Happiest Millionaire I had a conversation with a former Disney employee who told me the reason so many of the post-Walt films look so cheap and cheesy is because they're basically not done yet. When E. Cardon Walker was CEO, he was paying more attention to the balance sheets than the actual films, and if stuff wasn't done by opening day, then tough noogies. That's why unfinished shots started turning up with greater and greater frequency, and even though digital technology has made it theoretically possible to go back and fix some of the ones in the few movies from that era that people actually watch, they decided just to play the ball where it lies and release them as is. They never like to spend money unless they have to. Now they just have more money to do it with. And under those circumstances, it is still disappointing that there is not more initiative or excitement put into the release of any of these titles on the studio level. The 1990s ones were the ones made when I was a kid; some of them were good, some were mediocre, some were just dreadful. But it was during that period that the corporate culture started to change for the worse, and it's one thing to cut corners during a recession as Walker did, but to do it when times were good as they started doing to the parks and to animation around that time is just plain silly.

I can't remember any since the short-version only Bedknobs and Broomsticks disc released on August 12, 2014 that shoved a fifth of the film into the supplement section when a seamless branching option could have satisfied anyone who wanted it.* I will never forgive them for that until they re-restore it, but for titles like 20000 Leagues and Black Hole I don't know why they need to be held hostage to remakes that may or may not happen. It's also been awhile since I saw any of the Disneymount-era Touchstone/Hollywood singles and doubles from Mill Creek either. Sometimes it feels like nothing other than Marvel or Star Wars matters to them anymore.

*I cannot imagine anyone preferring it at 97 minutes long. That was perhaps the biggest insult to the film by the studio that made it: after everything they cut from it in 1971, they couldn't even release the same version people saw in 1971 in its only US theatrical reissue. The same aforementioned ex-Disneyite I talked to also speculated that after Walt died, there were those who wanted to take down those who were close to Walt a peg, and that included but was not limited to the Sherman Brothers. Wally Boag also lost the voice of Tigger to Paul Winchell, who of course did a wonderful job with it, after his death, and the Shermans were kept out of the 3rd and 4th Pooh featurettes even though by the time A Day For Eeyore was made they were welcomed back to the theme park division to write some songs for EPCOT.
Wow, do we think alike, as far as your opinions, I am so on key with you. And as far as the information you have given, fantastic writing and information. Bedknobs and Happiest Millionaire are 2 of my all time favorite Disney titles, and it makes me sick about the blu-ray release of thye short-only version when the long one actually makes more sense, I could not believe when I first saw their longer cut how much more enjoyable the movie was (and I had loved it in shorter version).

Do you think we will see even club version of Happiest Millionaire for its anniversary? It's the lossy audio that terrifies me.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am saddened by two trends regarding Disney Club exclusives: 1. They are fewer and farther between now, 2. The company is apparently focusing in on 80's-90's titles (COOL RUNNING, MIGHTY DUCKS) rather than the classic 50's-60's-70's films we've been begging them for (20,000 LEAGUES, THE BLACK HOLE, THE BLACK CAULDRON, etc.) Okay, Disney, if you insist on sticking with the later decades, at least give us NEVER CRY WOLF, NATTY GANN, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, etc. And please either speed up your release schedule to where it was a year or two ago, or license your classics out before the people most likely to pay for them are dead and gone.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I certainly wish they'd release more/faster like they appeared to be doing in 2015, but 1 every other month has been their usual since Jan 2016. The 3 in May will be the first time ever for 3 BD in a single month so maybe another change in their patterns or maybe just a one-off.

I think if they alternate older and newer a lot of folks would be happier though honestly the newer stuff runs out pretty quickly since it seems most of the Disney Live Action was moved to other sub-studios at some point. At least they're still releasing titles which seems to be more than many studios seem to be doing

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Letting it lapse into the public domain would be the worse thing that could happen as far as Disney is concerned. The film would be available everywhere, with Disney's name all over it. Maybe if Disney sold it with the stipulation that the Disney name be removed from the film itself and all publicity materials.

I suspect Disney's lawyers are right on top of copyright expiration dates. I can't think of a single Disney film that has (whoops!) fallen into the PD, unless you count very early silent shorts. Even those might all still be protected.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I suspect Disney's lawyers are right on top of copyright expiration dates. I can't think of a single Disney film that has (whoops!) fallen into the PD, unless you count very early silent shorts. Even those might all still be protected.

Also, as a public domain title, the original film elements would still reside with Disney. While sub par PD prints proliferated in the market place, the SOTS fanboys would focus on complaining about the inadequate transfers and once again turn to Disney for a 4K restoration using the original film elements. It's a Catch 22 situation. But, of course, a PD situation will never happen.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just to rub salt in the wound, iTunes is doing a Mother's Day Sale this week and has HD downloads of The Parent Trap '61, The Parent Trap '98, Freaky Friday '77, and Freaky Friday '03 for only $9.99 each. Unfortunately I quit buying Disney on iTunes when they started up their Club Blu-ray Exclusives. [/derail]

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just to rub salt in the wound, iTunes is doing a Mother's Day Sale this week and has HD downloads of The Parent Trap '61, The Parent Trap '98, Freaky Friday '77, and Freaky Friday '03 for only $9.99 each. Unfortunately I quit buying Disney on iTunes when they started up their Club Blu-ray Exclusives. [/derail]

And once again, DMC misses the boat on another Mother's Day opportunity to market these classics.

Note to DMC, just farm these titles out to someone like Twilight Time. At least let someone make some money off Blu sales if you won't.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Pollyanna rocked, Jason. I picked up mine a long time ago from a 3rd party (having never seen it before). I enjoyed it greatly.

I've only seen Pollyanna start to finish once and it's been a number of years ago. I need some charm in my world (and I had some money to spend...), so I figured this was a good purchase.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
1398720.jpg
1398730.jpg
1398750.jpg

The new trio of exclusives are up on the site. They finally put up the cover photo for #1 Unfortunately it appears that each
of the scans are a bit distorted. 24.95ea or 50% off with FS for VIP with a qualifying purchase like Bambi, Bambi II, Beauty and teh Beast, etc
1445350_1445351.jpg
1447870_1447871.jpg
1447880_1447881.jpg

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Consider this an unconfirmed, but serious rumor.

According a poster who received his DMC mailer packet today
July 18th New DMC Exclusives
Honey I Shrunk the Kids and Honey I Blew Up the Kids -- I think 2 separate items rather than a double feature

That's it as far as information, but after teh triple in May it doesn't seem totally off base as rumors go

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Cool! For some bizarre reason, DMC titles don't count as an eligible purchase, so the 50% off additional purchases and free shipping don't apply if you just wanna order the three Mighty Ducks movies. I guess I will wait until there's something out that I could purchase from DMC. Was gonna be GATG2 but they're not offering the 3D version. Maybe the rumored Lion King 1 1/2?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Cool! For some bizarre reason, DMC titles don't count as an eligible purchase, so the 50% off additional purchases and free shipping don't apply if you just wanna order the three Mighty Ducks movies. I guess I will wait until there's something out that I could purchase from DMC. Was gonna be GATG2 but they're not offering the 3D version. Maybe the rumored Lion King 1 1/2?

It does not qualify for the B1G% off b/c of the price -- B1 says 29.95 purchase though there are items that are regular 29.95 with temp sale price of 24.95 that do trigger the offer. "Your highest-priced selection counts as your regular price movie (Blu-ray and DVD must be $29.95 or more"

Other considerations -- apparently th VIP offer for Tues changes to B1G50% but without the FS which can be a considerable difference.
B1G60% orr of 50% with FS is about the lowest I want to place orders.

Rumors certainly are pretty strong about TLK Signature and TLK 1.5 and 2 coming out possibly at teh end of August.
A possible answer -- Doctor Strange 3D as your trigger item then Mighty Ducks. You should very easily be able to move the DS3D along for at least cost

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks