What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Not sure where the count was left off but add me to the buy list for MGH . Growing up in the 60s i enjoyed the live action Disney movies . Still do . And i would also buy Robin Crusoe . DVD fan and can always watch Nancy Kwan . I guess everyone has their own likes and dislikes .

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, I closed my old Disney account and my wife and I opened up a new one in her name, and all with Disney's approval. My 6 titles:

Tomorrowland (2015)
Snow White Diamond Edition (1937)
Son Of Flubber
Lilo & Stitch Double Pack (wife's favorite)
Blackbeard's Ghost (1968)
Muppet Treasure Island (part of a two pack).

On a side note on my old account after declining the Selection of the Month (Beauty & The Beast Diamond Edition), that title came in the mail. Watching my credit card to see if they charge this (will return it if they do and probably even if they don't).

And once again no Blu release for The Parent Trap (1961 or 1998). Drat, frat and its double drat.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
So Happy Pinocchio Blu Ray is finally being reissued. My favorite Disney animated film. Looking forward to finally upgrading my DVD.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yay...another reissue when Song of the South, The Black Cauldron and the Treasures need to be released in high def. Sorry, can't get excited about this one.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely purchase the ones you mentioned. But For those of us that do not have Pinocchio I will take it over any of the ones you mentioned. So yes this release has me more excited and I think we all know Song of the South sadly is not happening anytime soon so I don't really count that one.
Yay...another reissue when Song of the South, The Black Cauldron and the Treasures need to be released in high def. Sorry, can't get excited about this one.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I agree about SotS, which is a pity. Splash Mountain is a very fun attraction themed around the movie and there will be a whole generation who doesn't know the inspiration. But that's besides the point.

And I am happy everyone who didn't get these releases the first time has a chance now. This is more of a "me" not excited than not excited for anyone else. I reaaaaaaaalllly try not to be that petty. :cool:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Frankly, I'm tired of Disney ignoring their live action classics as well as a handful of select animated features the new regime at the Mouse House considers too 'controversial' to get a release. Song of the South is tops on my list of first day must have purchases. But where oh where is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Third Man on the Mountain, The Parent Trap (Haley Mills), The Happiest Millionaire, The Three Lives of Thomasina, The Moon Spinners, Summer Magic, That Darn Cat, The Shaggy Dog, The Shaggy D.A., The North Ave. Irregulars, Candleshoe, Freaky Friday (Jodie Foster), The Journey of Natty Gann, The Sword and the Rose, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, The Watcher in the Woods, Something Wicked This Way Comes, I Love Trouble (the SE promised for LaserDisc never materialized), The Black Hole, the fully restored edition of Bedknobs and Broomsticks?!?!? These are not obscure movies. If some have faded in the public's estimation since it's only because Disney Inc. continues to rest on its laurels and virtually ignore them for a new Blu-ray mastered home video release. Sorry, folks. Streaming doesn't cut it. We have 4K TV's and nothing to watch on them. Properly mastered Blu-rays look spectacular on my 4K setup. How about a few from Disney Inc. Soon! Pretty please!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Frankly, I'm tired of Disney ignoring their live action classics as well as a handful of select animated features the new regime at the Mouse House considers too 'controversial' to get a release. Song of the South is tops on my list of first day must have purchases. But where oh where is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Third Man on the Mountain, The Parent Trap (Haley Mills), The Happiest Millionaire, The Three Lives of Thomasina, The Moon Spinners, Summer Magic, That Darn Cat, The Shaggy Dog, The Shaggy D.A., The North Ave. Irregulars, Candleshoe, Freaky Friday (Jodie Foster), The Journey of Natty Gann, The Sword and the Rose, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, The Watcher in the Woods, Something Wicked This Way Comes, I Love Trouble (the SE promised for LaserDisc never materialized), The Black Hole, the fully restored edition of Bedknobs and Broomsticks?!?!? These are not obscure movies. If some have faded in the public's estimation since it's only because Disney Inc. continues to rest on its laurels and virtually ignore them for a new Blu-ray mastered home video release. Sorry, folks. Streaming doesn't cut it. We have 4K TV's and nothing to watch on them. Properly mastered Blu-rays look spectacular on my 4K setup. How about a few from Disney Inc. Soon! Pretty please!

Insult to injury: so many of the titles you list above have had HD masters made, which I have seen (I added bold type to those titles in your post, and added a bunch of others below), and they look like commercial Blu-ray quality to my (admittedly somewhat elderly) eyes. Absolutely stellar. But they hold these hostage from Blu-ray release. WTF?

Additional titles that have received HD mastering and which I have personally seen, only a few of which have real issues, but most of which are simply revelatory:

PERRI
RASCAL
LEGEND OF LOBO
CHARLIE THE LONESOME COUGAR
BISCUIT EATER
NAPOLEON AND SAMANTHA
BLACK CAULDRON
DUCK TALES: TREASURE OF THE LOST LAMP
GNOME MOBILE
GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE
GREYFRIAR'S BOBBY
BIG RED
GUS
HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS
HONEY, I BLEW UP THE KID
SCANDALOUS JOHN
HOT HEAD AND COLD FEET
INCREDIBLE JOURNEY (ORIGINAL)
IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS
ISLAND AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD
LAST FLIGHT OF NOAH'S ARK
A WILD PONY
LITTLEST HORSE THIEVES
NEVER CRY WOLF
WALT & EL GRUPO
SALUDOS AMIGOS
THREE CABALLEROS
SHIPWRECKED
SO DEAR TO MY HEAR
SWORD IN THE STONE (1.33:1, ABSENT OF ANY DNR, although the trade-off is that it wasn't cleaned up a lot, so cell dust, etc. did appear, as it did in the earlier DVD's of, say, BAMBI. But I find this hugely preferable to the current commercial Blu-ray.)
TEX
THOSE CALLOWAYS
TOBY TYLER
TREASURE OF MATECOMBE
All of the TRUE-LIFE ADVENTURE feature films
WHITE FANG

And I'm sure they have worked or are working on on high def masters for all of their remaining catalog (including SONG OF THE SOUTH and their cartoon shorts) for the sake of preservation and for streaming. Their interest no longer lies with catalog Blu-ray, which I assume is why their club announcements have dwindled to almost nothing during this past year. Disney boasted record profits for 2016, so they really couldn't give a damn about providing collectors with physical media anymore, except when it comes to Marvel, Pixar, LucasFilms, or their own current productions.

Protesting or boycotting or complaining in writing to the company will yield no results. Not with Disney. They have an empire they are comfortable with, and no little peons like ourselves are going to matter one little bit to them.

Last edited:

Han Allen

Auditioning
Real Name
Han
Insult to injury: so many of the titles you list above have had HD masters made, which I have seen (I added bold type to those titles in your post, and added a bunch of others below), and they look like commercial Blu-ray quality to my (admittedly somewhat elderly) eyes.

Seen where? Steaming?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ridiculous on Disney's part in being afraid to release "Song of the South".
The topics of today's world vs. the films of the distant past must be embraced with maturity;
otherwise we're never going to get anywhere within our advancements and understanding of each other.

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Ridiculous on Disney's part in being afraid to release "Song of the South".
The topics of today's world vs. the films of the distant past must be embraced with maturity;
otherwise we're never going to get anywhere within our advancements and understanding of each other.

I totally agree PMF, but remember that we do live in a society where today's youth have to be provided 'safe spaces' at the college level to cope with the realization they will soon be living with a Trump presidency. And no I'm not kidding. Safe spaces?!? Grow up! The same logic could apply to the exec brain trust responsible for keeping Song of the South out of circulation. Grow up! Embrace the studio's legacy - ALL OF IT!!!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Insult to injury: so many of the titles you list above have had HD masters made, which I have seen (I added bold type to those titles in your post, and added a bunch of others below), and they look like commercial Blu-ray quality to my (admittedly somewhat elderly) eyes. Absolutely stellar. But they hold these hostage from Blu-ray release. WTF?

Additional titles that have received HD mastering and which I have personally seen, only a few of which have real issues, but most of which are simply revelatory:

PERRI
RASCAL
LEGEND OF LOBO
CHARLIE THE LONESOME COUGAR
BISCUIT EATER
NAPOLEON AND SAMANTHA
BLACK CAULDRON
DUCK TALES: TREASURE OF THE LOST LAMP
GNOME MOBILE
GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE
GREYFRIAR'S BOBBY
BIG RED
GUS
HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS
HONEY, I BLEW UP THE KID
SCANDALOUS JOHN
HOT HEAD AND COLD FEET
INCREDIBLE JOURNEY (ORIGINAL)
IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS
ISLAND AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD
LAST FLIGHT OF NOAH'S ARK
A WILD PONY
LITTLEST HORSE THIEVES
NEVER CRY WOLF
WALT & EL GRUPO
SALUDOS AMIGOS
THREE CABALLEROS
SHIPWRECKED
SO DEAR TO MY HEAR
SWORD IN THE STONE (1.33:1, ABSENT OF ANY DNR)
TEX
THOSE CALLOWAYS
TOBY TYLER
TREASURE OF MATECOMBE
All of the TRUE-LIFE ADVENTURE feature films
WHITE FANG

And I'm sure they have worked or are working on on high def masters for all of their remaining catalog (including SONG OF THE SOUTH and their cartoon shorts) for the sake of preservation and for streaming. Their interest no longer lies with catalog Blu-ray, which I assume is why their club announcements have dwindled to almost nothing during this past year. Disney boasted record profits for 2016, so they really couldn't give a damn about providing collectors with physical media anymore, except when it comes to Marvel, Pixar, LucasFilms, or their own current productions.

Protesting or boycotting or complaining in writing to the company will yield no results. Not with Disney. They have an empire they are comfortable with, and no little peons like ourselves are going to matter one little bit to them.

Many of these on your list have shown up in HD on TCM and looked incredible. I'm sure more of them will be showing up on TCM in the future but I would purchase just about all of those on Blu Ray.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Seen where? Steaming?

No. I cannot reveal how I was able to watch them. However, I was able to, and my list is accurate. In fact, I can add some other titles that I know received such masters, but which I did not care enough about to view at the time.

STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD
CHARLIE AND THE ANGEL
LT. ROBIN CRUSOE, U.S.N.
NEVER A DULL MOMENT
THE DEVIL AND MAX DEVLIN
NORTH AVENUE IRREGULARS
ONE LITTLE INDIAN
CASTAWAY COWBOY
MILLION DOLLAR DUCK
CAT FROM OUTER SPACE
THE UGLY DACHSHUND
EMIL AND THE DETECTIVES
FOLLOW ME BOYS
HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE (ROADSHOW)
JOHNNY TREMAIN
NIGHT CROSSING
THE ONE AND ONLY GENUINE ORIGINAL FAMILY BAND

When combined with my first list list (post #309) above, these account for a significant chunk (approx. 70 titles that I am aware of) of the Disney back catalog, both good and bad, and as I mentioned, I imagine the remaining titles are either done or are in the process of being mastered for HD.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
No. I cannot reveal how I was able to watch them. However, I was able to, and my list is accurate. In fact, I can add some other titles that I know received such masters, but which I did not care enough about to view at the time.

THE BOATNIKS
STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD
CHARLIE AND THE ANGEL
LT. ROBIN CRUSOE, U.S.N.
NEVER A DULL MOMENT
THE DEVIL AND MAX DEVLIN
NORTH AVENUE IRREGULARS
ONE LITTLE INDIAN
CASTAWAY COWBOY
MILLION DOLLAR DUCK
CAT FROM OUTER SPACE
THE UGLY DACHSHUND
EMIL AND THE DETECTIVES
FOLLOW ME BOYS
HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE (ROADSHOW)
JOHNNY TREMAIN
NIGHT CROSSING
THE ONE AND ONLY GENUINE ORIGINAL FAMILY BAND
RELUCTANT DRAGON

When combined with my first list list (post #309) above, these account for a significant chunk (approx. 70 titles that I am aware of) of the Disney back catalog, both good and bad, and as I mentioned, I imagine the remaining titles are either done or are in the process of being mastered for HD.
The Boatniks and The Reluctant Dragon are already out on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks