What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Bad kerning on the dictionary definition, woah! That fourth line is way too tight. The whole paragraph needs to be rejiggered.
Aside from that, I could see this alleged intro serving fairly well as a sort of alternate idea intro. An optional into -- because the film doesn't need it, the fires of the hellish LA was about as obvious as one could get, even without the Eden imagery that this new animation provides.
Looks like a well done rendition of something that Ridley Scott must have wanted to try out back in the day. So kudos for trying it out and presenting it. ...Even if, after it turned out well, it doesn't seem necessary, and risks being cliche due to overuse. (The Prophecy series with Christopher Walken was one of my favorites to use of this kind of opening, but there are many others).
So in summary, I am pleased they tried it, and did it well. And having seen it, I don't think it is needed at all and would have set it aside. Kept it as an extra.
Additionally, on a purely personal note, I don't care for that "breaking through" artwork, the second artwork that appears in the sequence (maybe some art historians here can name the painting I am referring to). I liked the rest of them though.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Whew! (wipes sweat from brow). Glad to hear it. I was thinking how awful it would be for you to get mixed reaction here on the board, rather than the more appropriate reaction to your years of hard work, which should be a standing ovation at ComicCon.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
Thank god it's not real. Just something else to get annoyed about if it was. Way too pretentious for my liking. I like the original nice and simple.

Gavin_H

Auditioning
Real Name
Gavin Hyde
Hello! I've been a lurker here at HTF for years now but there is something about the Blade Runner Final Cut release that keeps popping up in my mind that has spurred me to post at last.

Since the new cut is being re-mastered for the DVD, HD-DVD, BD and theatrical re-release would it be technically possible to do an IMAX DMR print of the new cut? I think that Blade Runner would be Perfect for the IMAX DMR process, more so than other films that have had it done, 300 is a good example here as while it looked amazing, following action that fast on a screen that big was kind of trying on the eyes unless you were seated perfectly in the IMAX I saw it in. But Blade Runner being slower paced but even more interesting visually could be jaw droppingly beautiful on an IMAX screen.

Anyway it was just a thought I had, for all I know they could announce an IMAX release at Comic Con! *prays*

Also on a very geeky aside and on the off chance that he ever reads this, I would just like to say thank you to Charlie de Lauzirika for all his DVD productions but especially the Alien Quadrilogy. I did my university dissertation on the Alien Saga and without those DVD's I severely doubt I ever would have got a passing grade on my dissertation! Thanks Charlie!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Charlie de Lauzirika said:
It's not real.
But I have to admit, I kinda liked it.
I didnt hate it. Someone worked hard on it. The music reminded me of the movie Wind. Good soundtrack, but its not the same as Blade Runner.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I guess the real question.. does the new cut have a new credits or it more like the credits for the workprint?
Jacob

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Gavin_H said:
Since the new cut is being re-mastered for the DVD, HD-DVD, BD and theatrical re-release would it be technically possible to do an IMAX DMR print of the new cut? I think that Blade Runner would be Perfect for the IMAX DMR process, more so than other films that have had it done, 300 is a good example here as while it looked amazing, following action that fast on a screen that big was kind of trying on the eyes unless you were seated perfectly in the IMAX I saw it in. But Blade Runner being slower paced but even more interesting visually could be jaw droppingly beautiful on an IMAX screen.
It wouldn't. Panavision is a lot less IMAX friendly than 3-Perf Super 35 (which the raw 300 footage was shot on) and requires massive cropping. Best sticking with convention 70mm.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Stephen_J_H said:
An IMAX DMR version would resemble The Polar Express 3-D presentation in terms of A/R i.e. heavily letterboxed.
Or they'd crop it like Batman Begins.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I thought they stopped cropping the IMAX blow-ups? When I saw SPIDERMAN 2 in IMAX- a Super-35 film- it was 2.35:1, spanning the full width of the IMAX frame but "letterboxed" top and bottom.

Vincent

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The only IMAX versions I recall as being cropped (mind you, I've only seen 4 of the converted films) were Star Wars Episode II and Apollo 13, both of which were also recut to fit the smaller IMAX platters of the time. Apollo 13 didn't suffer as much, since it was a Super 35 film to begin with, but the cropping was very noticeable in AOTC.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Gavin_H said:
Also on a very geeky aside and on the off chance that he ever reads this, I would just like to say thank you to Charlie de Lauzirika for all his DVD productions but especially the Alien Quadrilogy. I did my university dissertation on the Alien Saga and without those DVD's I severely doubt I ever would have got a passing grade on my dissertation! Thanks Charlie!
Check post #1864, just 3 above yours... :D

alexAN

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. de Lauzirika:
I'm writing you from Spain, and as a regular Warner customer, I'm used to get excellent SEs in R2, ported from R1. Anyway, though Warner usually carries most, if not all its extra contents to the foreign editions, it's also true that they never put subtitles on commentaries, anywhere in the world. Except if they're in other language than english.
I'd like to know if you've got information about this question... will the audiocommentaries be subtitled, even in english, either in R1, R2-3-4, BR or HD-DVD? I bet you don't have a word on that question... but would be great as most of people abroad do understand written english much better than spoken.
Sorry for the english bestialities that I might've written :)

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
AlexAN:

Lo siento, pero falto practica hablando/escribiendo español. Espero que hay subtitulos en los comentarios pero en este momento, no estoy seguro. Voy a preguntar Warners sobre esta tema.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
John Sullmeyer said:
I saw this link on AICN. It is supposedly the new intro for the 2007 version of Blade Runner. Not sure what to think of it if it is real...
I really, really liked this. I think with this opening used to introduce the film the viewer watches it from an entirely different perspective, and it would make you interprete everything much differently--very fascinating. Its amazing how you can alter audience perception just by a little "atmosphere" intro like this. It was really well done too.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Thank you, Mr. De Lauzirika, for popping up again with reliable, first hand information.
And kuddos for your Spanish efforts from another spaniard!
As always, glad to have people like you working behind the scenes.
:emoji_thumbsup:

alexAN

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Mr. de Laurizika. I really appreciate your spanish answer. :)
Anyway, I'd like to ask you to put as much interest as possible in including those subtitles, even they're only in english (other languages would be great too). I insist... they make the difference between some useless audio tracks and some of the most interesting bonus in a special edition.
Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks