What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Jim_K said:
I was mainly referring to the establishing shot of the hovercraft flying through the cityscape at about the 3 1/2 min mark. The rest of the effects look fine. There's nothing wrong with it but it's first time I've seen this much detail in this film. :eek:
I've seen BR about 100 times over the past 24 years, but all the incarnations (cable, widescreen VHS, original DVD, etc) were overly murky so it's probably that fact that I'm just not used to actually seeing the picture this clearly. :)
For now I'm satisfied and can happily wait however long for the UE. :cool:
This is probably due to the digital enhancing of an old master. With a fresh print, the shot you're referring to should look just about perfect.
Alex

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
I had the ability to pick this up at my local Best Buy this past Friday but decided against because I remembered the boxset that awaits us next year.
But, I was surprised to see it Friday. The alarm bells in my head went off when I saw it, knowing they jumped the gun on the release date.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Picked this up for $14 with tax at CC today, but to be honest I didn't feel that great about it.

The recycled artwork from the last DVD release is extremely uninspired and will probably cause most casual shoppers to walk right past.

Last week I got 'Romancing the Stone' for $9.99 which came with improved video, a cool exterior slipcover, a cool interior DVD cover, a cool 8-page booklet, and decent DVD-based extras.

Aside from improved video, this BR release offers very little to get excited about.

I've bought BR twice on DVD and now have a strong case of Deja Vu...I'm done with the BR.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Well Frank,

no one forced you to buy this interim edition. Knowing that the new release is coming you could have chosen to wait for the SE set if you would have preferred that presentation.

I'm still baffled by the notion that there's something to complain about.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Any rumors of an HD DVD release?
thedigitalbits has made references to a forthcoming HD DVD release a couple of times. If one isn't released by 4th quarter '06, I will probably cave and buy this interim release. I have already sold my old copy of Blade Runner, and this is a film I feel I simply must have a copy of in my library at all times. :)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
David,

I'm just telling you how I felt after making the purchase and opening the box.

There's not even any actual disc art...

I don't need a $50 4-disc set, but for an average price of $15 they could have given the consumer a bit more (a new cover, a slipcase, a booklet, disc art...something).

It's been done at this price point for other releases.

EDIT: The menu screens are also static and have a 1999 feel to them.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I feel great about my CC purchase. This is one of the seminal films (if not everyone's ideal version), looking better than it's ever looked at a bargain price. I consider it a LONG rental until the major release shows up. I'd rather they spent the gourmet dollars on the gourmet release. I don't need a special box for this glorified "tide-me-over" release.

The special goodies are coming,

Chuck

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Yeah, I'm waiting. Not about to buy the DC I don't like (still have the original DVD I bought in a bundle on eBay, unwatched by me), then buy the Ultimate DVD, then buy the HD version. Maybe if HD was years away....

Still, it's interesting to see those so impassioned that they'll actually buy (and not just rent) this to tide them over.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Frank@N said:
Picked this up for $14 with tax at CC today, but to be honest I didn't feel that great about it.
Aside from improved video, this BR release offers very little to get excited about.
I've bought BR twice on DVD and now have a strong case of Deja Vu...I'm done with the BR.
also you should have paid only 12.99 as that is the advertised price in the flyer and online.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I'm going to hold off for the UE. Another year when I thought it wasn't going to be done ever is no big deal.
$11.99 at our Fry's in the SF Bay Area.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
(sorry, this one cracks me up)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I don't need a $50 4-disc set, but for an average price of $15 they could have given the consumer a bit more (a new cover, a slipcase, a booklet, disc art...something).

got it. You're saying that in either case you don't want the forthcoming SE set and would have preferred to just buy this as your final copy of the film anyway... and therefore would have liked this DVD presentation to take it up just another notch or two given the lame packaging etc.

Fair enough!

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Frank@N said:
David,
It's been done at this price point for other releases.
Why does the artwork matter? It's to attract the non-fan to the product -- you already know what Blade Runner is.
You're buying a much-improved transfer. Anything else is just advertising.
The idea that people get worked up about the covers and artwork on the actual DVDs is beyond my comprehension. Isn't it all about the movie? If it was a good movie, I'd buy it even if the cover was a paper bag.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Just put this on for a test run. Looks great. Not to sound like Roy Batty, but, "i have seen things"...you know the line. Nice detail anyway. Cant wait to watch it all tonight.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Since its only the 2.0 audio, i bet that means no HD until the set. I just had to see the new transfer so it will be a triple dip down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks