What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
For the casual fan... or those of us with a budget and many other titles on the wishlist -- is there anything this "tide-me-over" edition will feature that won't eventually turn up on the ultimate box set next year? Is there any reason to purchase both, apart from the time interval?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I wonder if the lack sale for the movie only of blade runner might make WB change their mind about the boxset?
or vice versa?
Jacob

AlexCremers

Second Unit
TheBat said:
I wonder if the lack sale for the movie only of blade runner might make WB change their mind about the boxset?
or vice versa?
That's why we should all make the investment and get this temporarily release. We can't take the risk.

Gone and pre-ordered this, despite saying to myself no I'll wait for the big set but couldn't go a whole year knowing that there's an improved DVD transfer and not seeing it!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Everyone should pick this up. The better the sales are, the more WB will see a demand.
:)
Can anyone post identical screencaps from the old and the new?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I found this out today. Guess i cant say where. But, i will say they wouldnt sell it to me when i checked out. The manager said it shouldnt be on the shelf til Tues. I told him he better pull the other 5 copies left. I also told him i will buy it from Best Buy on Tuesday, and probably 2 to 3 dollars cheaper.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
EDIT: Ok, still not working, so I might as well take these down so as not to confuse folks or, what's worse, make them think the new transfer is mediocre. Go buy it! You won't regret!

Miki<>C

Agent
Ok I just sifted thru about 25 pages and still found no mention.

Should we assume the 2007 release will be 5.1 or better? If not Ill pick up the 2006 release!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Well, Bill over at The Digital Bits gave the disc some praise...
First up today, there's something I wanted to mention before I talk about other subjects: I've just gotten the chance to see Warner's newly remastered Blade Runner DVD... and let me tell you, if you love this film even half as much as we do, the new disc is an absolute MUST have. The new transfer makes the original DVD - which was one of the very first discs Warner ever released back in March of 1997 - look like dog chow by comparison. Contrast, color, detail... all are dramatically improved with the new anamorphic transfer. Like the first DVD, the newly remastered disc is the 1992 Director's Cut and it's movie-only. As a new multi-disc Blade Runner special edition DVD box set is already planned by Warner for release next year (to celebrate the film's 25th anniversary), this remastered DVD is only going to be available for four months. But it retails for just $19.98 (it's on sale at Amazon for just $13.99) and like I said... if you're really a fan and you've been living with the crappy original DVD release, that's a small price to pay for a much better transfer to hold you over until the box set next year. The DVD street date has been moved up by Warner to this coming Tuesday (9/5) from the original 9/12 street date, so when you're out buying your DVDs next week definitely keep it in mind.
So that sounds good.
And Bill, if you're reading this - congratulations to you and Sarah on your wedding anniversary.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
TonyD said:
bet you don't.
:P
Wouldnt be the first time i went into BB only to find they are not carrying a title (This Island Earth online only!). At least at BB when they put something out i can buy it! But since it is Blade Runner id head back to CC and whore myself if i have to.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Dave Mack said:
I agree. Everyone should pick this up. The better the sales are, the more WB will see a demand.
Not sure that this is necessary; WB has already made its plans for the SE, announced it etc, and whilst I know plans can be changed/cancelled, with a marquee title like this, I'm sure WB will stay the course regardless -- indeed, the fact they release the improved transfer first bare-bones whilst announcing the super-duper boxset to follow suggests that they have planned and budgeted accordingly and their expectations do not require a massive "show of support"; similarly to New Line and the dual-releases of each LOTR movie.
This is quite unlike releases of old TV shows, where we arguably do have to "show support" by quickly picking up S1, which is the studio's only real gauge of interest, so as to fuel the supply of subsequent seasons.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I just made my suggestion based on reading this...

"Be forewarned that a few movie/HT related sites I visit are reporting a possible delay (maybe pushed back to 08) for the BR Ultimate Edition but as with all rumors take it with a grain of salt..."

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Examples?
I was mainly referring to the establishing shot of the hovercraft flying through the cityscape at about the 3 1/2 min mark. The rest of the effects look fine. There's nothing wrong with it but it's first time I've seen this much detail in this film. :eek:
I've seen BR about 100 times over the past 24 years, but all the incarnations (cable, widescreen VHS, original DVD, etc) were overly murky so it's probably that fact that I'm just not used to actually seeing the picture this clearly. :)
For now I'm satisfied and can happily wait however long for the UE. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks