What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
EDIT: I took the screencaps down so as not to bog everyone's computers down with images that don't represent the film. Just believe me when I say the disc is the best use of $13.99 a Blade Runner fan has availible to him and it would be criminal to keep spinning the old disc!

Etrigan

Grip
Real Name
Gustavo
These framegrabs look waaaaay too bright. I do agree with you that the ones you posted first looked a bit too dark, but now it is difficult to tell what the film actually looks like, since the contrast and brightness was manipulated. More importantly, were the wires from the hovering spinner digitally removed (in the scene where Deckard is calling Sebastian's apartment)? Did they remove the finger from the flipped shot of Roy's introduction? Was the dialogue by Abdul Ben Hassan fixed (it was completely out of sync) when Deckard is questioning him? Thanks!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
And how is the audio quality? Still 2.0 DD or 5.1? If it's 2.0 I can't imaging a 192 kbps track sounding good at all (I wish they'd still use 348 kbps for 2.0 tracks like 5.1).

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Etrigan said:
More importantly, were the wires from the hovering spinner digitally removed (in the scene where Deckard is calling Sebastian's apartment)? Did they remove the finger from the flipped shot of Roy's introduction? Was the dialogue by Abdul Ben Hassan fixed (it was completely out of sync) when Deckard is questioning him? Thanks!
Next year. This is our holdover until the BIG Blade Runner set.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Yikes! Yeah, I've just done a side-by-side comparison with those screengrabs and my 1997 DVD and I agree with Etrigan--though the fleshtones look far more realistic on the new disc, those framegrabs are WAY too bright--the interrogation scene from the beginning of the film looks particularly blown out and drained of appropriate coloration. I desperately hope, contrary to Elijah Sullivan's assertions otherwise, that the brightness has not been set properly on them or we're gonna have a six-of-one, half-a-dozen-of-the-other situation between the old disc and the new one.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The fact that the black bar is a bit grey instead of deep black is a tell-tale sign that these have been boosted.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Elijah, are yousure that your hardware is set up correctly? I find it hard to believe that those screen-shots are from a new Warner transfer; recalling those HDTV screen-shots that someone posted on this thread a few months back, they were dead-on in their brightness, contrast and color, so unless the new SD DVD is from a seperate transfer - which would be strange - then I find it hard to believe that Warner irrationally messed around with the HD master for this new DVD. I have the disc on pre-order, so I'll see for myself in due course and then I'll formulate an opinion on it - I never trust screen-shots alone. The third capture looks totally blown out and I vividly recall the same or a similar screen-shot from that sequence in the HDTV vs. 1998 DVD posting and it was gorgeous. Odd.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
htf_imgcache_885.jpeg

I'm waiting for the region 2 edition, which I think comes out in October? I'll grab some shots from that and post them here. Elijah probably uses PowerDVD's screen capture which has limited bright or dark settings, I stopped using that a few years ago. I much prefer WinDVD 6.
Btw does anyone know if this remastered edition of BR is in 5.1 stereo? I can't even remember if my previous copy was in 5.1 or 2.0, memory's gone.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So *what* is the release date? e-tailers have it all over the place from September 5 to September 12 to November 14(!) Which is it?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well I stopped by a local (and nationwide hint....hint) B&M today to pick up a birthday gift for my nephew and also to pick up This Island Earth for myself :D
however they didn't have any copies of This Island Earth :frowning:
but lo and behold.........
What is this? :eek:
Am I this lucky?!
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the Newly remastered DVD of ....................
Blade Runner
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Packaging is almost identical to the old release except for being a keepcase and the back sports a red banner on top stating Digitally Remastered. Also has a sticker on the front proclaiming the same thing.
As for the sound it states the same as the old release Dolby Surround Stereo. Nothing on the package states a 5.1 mix.
I won't know for sure until I watch it but I will be giving it a spin.....................TONIGHT! :) :P

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Yes, I did use PowerDVD and the brightness control is ridiculously limited. I think you guys are all correct in saying that these images are too bright -- although not by much, because comparing them with a calibrated television screen I failed to notice the difference. But don't be surprised if the correctly-displayed images look different from the screencap Steve has -- that screencap is EE-free to my eyes and the contrast is a little lower.
As for any additional changes... the spinners still have wires, which are much more visable now than before. I almost posted a screencap to show you how obvious they now are (I always failed to notice them on the old DVD). There is still a finger on Batty's shoulder in his introduction scene. The audio with the snake guy is untouched. I believe it's 2.0 Stereo only.
I'll try to post a slightly darker capture of some of those shots later on.
EDIT: September 5th is definately the release date. I confirmed it with my distributor so we don't get busted for putting on the shelf Tuesday.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
DaViD Boulet said:
And how is the audio quality? Still 2.0 DD or 5.1? If it's 2.0 I can't imaging a 192 kbps track sounding good at all (I wish they'd still use 348 kbps for 2.0 tracks like 5.1).
over dvdtalk someone has said it is only 2.0

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
This is exactly what some of us have been asking for - A no-frills bare-bones tide-me-over edition with remastered video. Any serious die-hard BR fan should snatch this up.
2.0 is confirmed. Color, detail - much improved. Contrast is going to be up to debate with some of you, though it's not as bad as those screen grabs (which is why I no longer but any stock in those). My only gripe is that due to the contrast and improved detail some of the effects shots look a tad shoddy now. I imagine the F/X will be tweeked with the UE.
Be forewarned that a few movie/HT related sites I visit are reporting a possible delay (maybe pushed back to 08) for the BR Ultimate Edition but as with all rumors take it with a grain of salt.
As for the street date confusion (my etailer lists it for 9/12), I can imagine a lot of you will be finding this on shelves this weekend as retailers are just as confused as we are.
This is the strangest DVD release of a major catalog title I can think of, no real press release/announcement (just a little blurb back in April/May?), no fanfare, etc. It's almost like Warner is just sneaking this out there, probably saving the hoopla for the UE whenever that comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks