What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
It's MK2 that owns the missing scenes from FIRE WALK WITH ME, not StudioCanal.

Mark Cappelletty pretty much covered what I opined in a splinter thread, that the BLADE RUNNER hold up is likely dealing with the original producers, not any studios inheriting video or theatrical rights.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Any of you Angelenos who want to see the Blade Runner doc-- they have it as a free rental (rent one at normal price, get one from their extensive "free" section) at CineFile Video next to the Nuart on Santa Monica and Sawtelle next to the 405. It's a PAL-converted dub and looks pretty shaky, but it's better than nothing. The FX tests and the Holden-Deckard scene are worth the rent.

Mehdy

Stunt Coordinator
This could be the biggest release for 2004....With the wait possibly more and more extras are being created or found...
this is #1 on my most wanted list to redo....the current version with new teck will be blown away:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Will the SE edition have the original version with Deckard's narration? I hope so. I'd like to view the movie both ways. Its been sooo long since I've seen it. I broke down today and grabbed the one DVD that is available for now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

The first home video release, with the narration, can be got on eBay for dirt cheap - even though it's video and it's pan and scan, it's still a cool thing to have until a definitive special edition DVD comes out.

The so-called "director's cut" is really no more than a workprint/roughcut discovered in the early 90s that contained Ridley Scott's version of the film-in-progress before the studio took it away. I think they gave Scott about ten seconds to look it over before they threw it into theaters and on video, so it's not a finished film either. I'm sure there are bigger fans than I who can tell you all of the problems with it, but there are a couple continuity things that never got fixed that some fans have been analyzing for years, when in fact Scott says it was a matter of not looping a line already shot before whatever script revision of the day came in. The color timing is off on some shots, the registration leaves something to be desired, and man, are the opening and end titles jittery.

(If interested, check out Paul Sammon's book "Future Noir" for a much more in-depth analysis of the film and its many versions, as well as behind the scenes info.)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody know if progress has been made on the clearance issues?
brmovie.com used to be a good source for running progress reports on any news about the Blade Runner Special Edition, but lately they haven't been updating it. Charles (Zinema) for example has made several interesting statements in the past couple months about where exactly the production stalled when legal issues stopped work, but brmovie.com hasn't quoted those comments. They're derelict in their duties, they have not "done a man's job, sir." They're probably as depressed as the rest of us BR fans are.

I think some of the comments are still in this thread (look back a page or two), and others made on alt.fan.bladerunner may be harder to find.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Blade Runner is one of my favorite films, and I am as excited as any to have a new SE in my hands.

However, I've begun to tell myself my current copy is all I'll see in the near future. The Blade Runner SE has joined the elusive likes of the yeti and the loch ness monster...only captured in blurry snapshots...

brmovie.com used to be a good source for running progress reports on any news about the Blade Runner Special Edition, but lately they haven't been updating it. Charles (Zinema) for example has made several interesting statements in the past couple months about where exactly the production stalled when legal issues stopped work, but brmovie.com hasn't quoted those comments. They're derelict in their duties, they have not "done a man's job, sir." They're probably as depressed as the rest of us BR fans are.
Will_B, did you actually look before posting that? The BR:SE News page at BRmovie was last updated on 23rd October and does include comments made By Charlie here.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
now that Charlie has finished working on the Alien box set perhaps he now has more time to finish the last hurdles of the BR SE
here's hoping
:D

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
now that Charlie has finished working on the Alien box set perhaps he now has more time to finish the last hurdles of the BR SE
I wish it were that easy, but it's got nothing to do with time or desire. Believe me, if the project's legal issues were resolved this morning, I would bow out of most of the DVDs I have lined up for the next year and focus my energy and resources on the BR:SE immediately.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Will_B, did you actually look before posting that? The BR:SE News page at BRmovie was last updated on 23rd October and does include comments made By Charlie here.
Yep, I looked at it first, and all it says is "Basically, there is no new news. I'm updating this page today with everything I can tell you. There will not be another update until there is something seriously significant to announce. The BR:SE DVD set is currently in legal limbo. There is nothing more I can say."

What they're neglecting to mention is that many people thought the set had been completed but was held up in legal problems. A couple months ago Zinema started talking after months of silence, and revealed that they had located a good deal of materials (as he'd said before), but that actual work was stopped by the legal problems before hardly anything had actually been done (which had never been said before).

Those few words, really only a couple sentences, were nonetheless a *bombshell* of info, because it took the Blade Runner Special Edition out of the "coming soon as we get the legal snafu settled" to what we now know, which is that the project would have to start essentially from day one if they ever get the legal problems settled.

That revelation started a wave of shall we say illicit ideas on the blade runner newsgroup, and made people like myself realize that they may as well pick up the version in the stores now, because we don't know if anything will change in our lifetimes.

So I stand by what I said. They're an excellent site but they don't have that bit of latest news.

But the news is there if you read past the first paragraph.
It says in the description of What is the BR:SE, 'According to Charlie, "Some significant work was initiated, some fantastic material discovered, but on the whole, very little was actually finished before legal issues forced a halt to production."'
Before that update, there were a couple of references to the amount of work left to do and one still remains:
Under the DVD Vision (01 OCT 2002) report, it says "there is still a lot of other work to do (currently on hold)." So that particular news has actually been published there for over a year now. Hence why it is not "new news". (Charlie actually said on the a.f.b-r newsgroup in November last year, "And not to make matters worse, but the perception that it's "largely finished" is completely false. Hopefully things will get worked out in the (very) near future because there's a lot of work left to do." Sorry you didn't pick the news up before, but as you can see, it has been out there for a long time now.)
And at the bottom of the page is a brief bio of Charlie which says, "Numerous extremely successful projects later (including work on non-Scott films), and Charlie is in great demand. Charlie did start work on the Blade Runner Special 20th Anniversary Edition DVD, but had to stop. He is now planning a future as a film director, so will unfortunately not be able to complete work on the BR:SE DVD set (when it is finally authorised). Such a shame as besides being an excellent producer, Charlie is also a big Blade Runner fan."
Seems to pretty much cover it really. What you've said is certainly reported there.

Chris PC

So whats the Blade Runner documentary?
Well to quote that same BRmovie BR:SE news page:

"In 2001, UK's Channel 4 did a documentary presented by Mark Kermode called "On the Edge of Blade Runner", on the making of Blade Runner. Many of the people involved in the film were interviewed (though not Harrison Ford). As this is an excellent documentary, made with support from Charlie and Scott Free, it is a good candidate for being put on the DVD, but of course there are contractual agreements that need to be made when using third party programming. Note: On 8th November 2002, Mark Kermode confirmed that this documentary would be on the BR:SE DVD. Further note: they are supportive of the BR:SE release and not involved in the "legal difficulties"."

I taped it when it was on (I'm in the UK) and can confirm it is most interesting and well done. It is certainly something you would expect to get on a complete BR DVD set. Should that ever happen ....

Real Name
Anthony
This is a sad and tragic thread. :frowning: How did it come to this ?
On the doc, I was actually very disappointed with it (and Kermode's docs are usually excellent). Anybody who's read FUTURE NOIR will find nothing new here though more casual BR fans may not be so critical. Harrison Ford's absence and the lack of any bts footage also leaves it some way short of definitive.
Most disappointing, however, is the deleted Deckard visits Holden scene. I waited twenty years to see this scene (talk about a burden of expectation!) and the fact is that it's rubbish - badly acted and unnecessary.
To make matters worse, the doc only shows the scene being played on a monitor in an edit suite. A baffling decision.
Okay, admittedly, I'm too much of a BR geek to be truly objective but - fwiw - the doc's not going to blow anyone's mind.
BTW - I still think my request for an interim version of the DVD is a good idea, but there's been a poor response to my petition in the Studio Feedback forum. Apathy will get us nowhere, folks. Twenty responses won't change a thing - a thousand might.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Well I have come to a point were I wish that Warner would just release a new remaster with dts maybe. I really want to see this film again, but I really do not wish to buy the old release since it looks crap! ( saw it on rental...) maybe I should just rent it!!
But after I have seen how good Alien(Quad)looks, I dream of how good Blade Runner could look!
But will this SE ever come out? I first heard of it on a website called www.dvd.com ( Do you remember dvdexpress.com? ) and on dvdfile in 1997!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks