What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Micah Cohen said:
this thread. Admin should just delete it.
Not the thread, no, but perhaps a certain post should be looked at.
Scott has made his share of bad movies - but I only count three. And only one of them is an actual turkey, Hannibal, which he can't be held accountable for. Perhaps you can argue that many of the rest are deficient in certain ways, but, whatever you have to say about the story, Black Hawk Down is one of the most brilliantly executed pieces of filmmaking in the books. Few directors on the planet have the expertise to bring a movie like that home, and perhaps none could do it with such bravura.
And Gladiator singlehandedly revived a dead genre. The influence of that movie's style is plainly visable in literally hundreds of films made since May 2000. That doesn't happen by accident.
If Hollywood had booted Ridley Scott after Blade Runner, cinema today would be different - and worse off. There is no question about that.
Speaking of Blade Runner.... the reason people continue to post and view this thread is because unless there is activity somewhere then Warner Bros. will not know which movies the public wants to see.
I work at a video store. Blade Runner rents consistantly. The generation born after 1982 is thrilled by it, and they want more.
There's nothing depressing about them saying it out loud.

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Micah Cohen said:
]. These movies are total garbage.
Yep, two masterpieces: Alien and Blade Runner. The Duellists is interesting though, a nice exercise in style (Kubrick). Thelma and Louise is one of his better other efforts, but sadly not very lasting. What I mean is, it felt less good on the second run. IMO, 1492 is crap too. Of all Scotts, I hate Blackhawk Down the most. Hannibal should be crap too, and the first time I watched it, it was indeed one of the worst film I've seen, but the second time (TV) I was strangely beguiled by it. I even bought the DVD, for Pete's sake. There's something about it but I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet. I agree with Gladiator. It's not crap but multiple viewing made me think much less of this movie.
Anyway, it has always puzzled me why Scott wasn't the god he appeared to be when he made Alien or Blade Runner. I still think the failure of Blade Runner has something to do with that. I know the bad response shook him up because with Blade Runner he really thought he made something special.
Alex

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
It was late. I was angry. I was tired of seeing this thread pop up and thinking, "What? Will it be? COULD it be?" And it never is. That's all.
And I want 1492 on DVD, for goodness sake.
:angry:

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Hey, I like Hannibal, it's got great music in it.

But I agree on Gladiator, Legend, Black Hawk Down, Thelma and Loiuse, etc.

I've never seen 1492, but I love the soundtrack.

But darn it, I want a Blade Runner that I can watch on my RPTV.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
There's something about it
That's what I had with The Gladiator. I found it a so-so movie, until I realized, about a week later, that it still stayed with me. Something about that notion of afterlife. Something more.
Basically, Scott is a genius.
Cees

Tiago_J

Stunt Coordinator
I love some of his movies but Imust agree that he is pretty much an ups and downs director, not very consistent.

Another reason to wait for the DC of Kingdom of Heaven as the TC was pretty weak.

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Scott's biggest shortcoming is that he directs all his attention to the visuals (hoping that the narrative automatically will follow). Kubrick also payed extreme attention to the visuals but overall had a much firmer grip on the narrative.

Alex

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll defend the hell out of Black Hawk Down as a masterpiece of directing. In it's own thread ;) There are maybe 2 or 3 directors with more command of visuals than Ridley. Maybe.

ErichH

Screenwriter
AlexCremers said:
Scott's biggest shortcoming is that he directs all his attention to the visuals (hoping that the narrative automatically will follow). Kubrick also payed extreme attention to the visuals but overall had a much firmer grip on the narrative.
Alex
I can agree, but I think it's always been his attitude to capture the Play and expect the actors/writers to be the best at what they do. I think Fincher has a similar style of working.
Kubrick had a decade per movie to get his right, so I rate him in his own category. Nobody gets that kind of time ever again.
The fact that this thread keeps going is perhaps respect for the director as much as the film. I could be wrong...
Less that great efforts are easily forgiven by this viewer.
E

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Micah is absolutely RIGHT!!!

But... OK, well, if the Thread won't be deleted, then at LEAST, please please PLEASE have it RENAMED so that it won't be a CONSTANT teasing, tantalizing SLAP in the face.

I mean -- the very FIRST post, 25 pages ago, was in April of 2002!

After FOUR years of waiting, there is NO "glimmer of hope" left.

PLEASE RENAME THE THREAD.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Watch-it Micha-youre liable to be labeled 'elitist'
Seriously, though, most of us here at HTF are a pretty forgiving crew, and we dont much sweat the small stuff.
I also think we should start a new Blade Runner thread-this ones getting a bit unwieldy. and should retire.
Hows about as of May first: a new Blade Runner News thread, with only actual news relating to it
(might stay pretty small for a long time-but when it does pop up-at least youll know there is a nourishing morsel of something in it to read.)

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
As far as all the babbling about Scott's movies I won't say much except .. you're wrong.

As far as there being "no news" regarding a new Blade Runner DVD, when the folks at WB say "We're working hard on BLADE RUNNER, can't say any more, and hope we have good news to share with you fine HTF folk soon" that sounds like news to me and it sounds like they will be releasing something in the not too distant future. Even if it is only a remastered DC that will be fine with me.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Robin_B said:
Even if it is only a remastered DC that will be fine with me.
Not me, unless you mean a new, true director's cut, rather than the "closer to it but still not quite there" DC from the early '90s...

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
most of us here at HTF are a pretty forgiving crew, and we dont much sweat the small stuff.
Total lie. You guys are the epitome of unforgiving, and HTF totally sweats the small stuff, which is why this thread goes on and on with no resolution in sight.
There's been no "news" about BLADE RUNNER on DVD since at least a dozen pages ago in this thread. That's old news, and probably means nothing at all now, by the time of this page.
Ridley Scott's whole rep rests on two solid masterpieces. The rest of the oeuvre is borderline crap; the work of any other mere director. The gall of the studios to release multiple editions of stinkers like HANNIBAL while leaving BLADE RUNNER -- maybe the most visually influential film of the last quarter of the 20th century -- to wander the lonely WalMart back-catalog aisle, is criminal. And for goodness sake, if you're gonna release and re-release and re-re-release crap, at least give us 1492. What's the hold up on that?
And that's effing right: I used the word "oeuvre."
This thread just pisses me off now.
MC

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Yes, and what the F*CK is the point of noting in the Thread title "(Check out page 8.)" when we're on page 25?!

Huh?

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Micah Cohen said:
at least give us 1492.
I love 1492 with a passion, but it's bizarre that you single it out as some kind of Holy Grail and call the rest crap. 1492 is Scott's most indulgent and least-respected film, with absolutely no exceptions. Even Legend is now considered a gem, while 1492 draws guffaws from critics to this day.
Which is a pity because it's a definate masterpiece... like most of his films. ;)

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Legend is considered a gem?!! Get out of here!

There has been news about Blade Runner.

The Digital Bits has reported on an official Warner's press conference:

"And finally, here's a bit of news that's going to get a lot of you excited (and I made a point to specifically ask about this title, believe me)... Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (1982) is currently on track for release as a multi-disc special edition in time for its 25th anniversary in 2007. The release is far from certain (as usual, there's a lot more that I can't post about this title yet - think of the old saying, "Loose lips sink ships"), but Warner says that work is proceeding, most of the key players are involved and things are "looking good" for release next year. We'll see."

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Whoa what the hell happened to this thread? What's with all the childish nastiness? [bites fist]
Hmmm not sure you Ridley Scott haters even deserve a copy of next years super-duper 25th anniversary 4-disc ultimate edition of Blade Runner!
All good things come to those who wait. I can wait another year for my 2nd favorite Ridley Scott film.
Meanwhile if you're bored you can jot down which Ridley Scott flicks you've seen and rate them in this thread. :)
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=213568

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
"...The release is far from certain..."
It's really not much news at all, if you think about it. It's just more rumor.
Hey, I'm waiting right along with everyone else. I'm just frustrated by this thread (always the bridesmaid, never the bride) and about the seeming arbitrariness of DVD releases that generates three versions of one bomb and ignores another bomb completely.
I seriously think this thread should be trimmed, renamed, or restarted.
It's like hearing the bells of the ice cream man's truck, but he never comes down my street.
:angry:
MC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks