What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I thought the same thing at first but that's $55 before any sale prices have been applied so I'd assume that the price will be cheaper when it actually is released. I'd like to get the fifth disc but I'm not paying another $25 (or whatever the difference between the four disc and the briefcase is) for one disc and some junk that I don't want.
I'm sure it will be a little cheaper than $55 at Best Buy, at least at first, but Amazon has the one with the suitcase for $54.99.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Well, I'm just dyin' now, thanks to that review. I pre-ordered the 5-disc Blu-Ray edition from Amazon, and lately Amazon hasn't been shipping my pre-orders till the release date (most recent example: The Bourne Ultimatum, releasing tomorrow, hasn't been shipped yet). I thought a few extra days wouldn't be a big deal, but DAMN.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
you know... i don't think even star wars on DVD gets the same treatment the way Charles+Ridley does business. Van Ling+Lucas should be ashamed of themselves.

Paul Prischman

Auditioning
JediFonger said:
you know... i don't think even star wars on DVD gets the same treatment the way Charles+Ridley does business. Van Ling+Lucas should be ashamed of themselves.
That's a pretty harsh and unfounded statement you've made. Van doesn't create the extra features on the STAR WARS discs. He creates the menus for those discs.
Big difference.

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
Bill GrandPre said:
I'm sure it will be a little cheaper than $55 at Best Buy, at least at first, but Amazon has the one with the suitcase for $54.99.
It'll probably be a lot cheaper. I could see it going for $40 on sale, and the briefcase being $55 or so at Best Buy. Time will tell though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Matthew_Def said:
It'll probably be a lot cheaper. I could see it going for $40 on sale, and the briefcase being $55 or so at Best Buy. Time will tell though.
That's what I was saying earlier. Every other Blade Runner listed at BB's site is at MSRP right now so I think it's safe to assume that their non-briefcase five disc set will also get a price drop too.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have to side with Paul on that one. the dvd producers only have so much say.. depending on the project. Perhaps Paul and Charlie and others can explain more of that.
its probobly lucas that wanted the star wars films to be more simple.. like the indiana jones set.. if anything. it would be interesting to hear what warner bros has to say about why blade runner got the better treatment then the superman set last year.. years its a fine set.. but it was still missing some stuff (tv versions of superman the movie and the sequels).
this blade runner set is loaded.
some people like the nice boxsets and stuff and others do not. .I see people bitch on each side. you should see the sets from overseas.. they are constantly more interesting then what we got. I think its great that some studios are exploring this new area.
Jacob

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
TheBat said:
you should see the sets from overseas.. they are constantly more interesting then what we got. I think its great that some studios are exploring this new area.
Jacob
Would you enlighten me which boxsets you are talking about ?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
JediFonger said:
you know... i don't think even star wars on DVD gets the same treatment the way Charles+Ridley does business.
Understatement of the year! I think you're being waaaaaay too kind to the Star Wars DVDs. :laugh: I don't think there's been a WORSE release (proportionate to the popularity of the films, that is) as the 2004 and 2006 Star Wars releases.
The Blade Runner release has set the bar VERY high now.
EDIT: I'm referring to the CONTENT of the DVDs, not the packaging.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I think that Jacob makes a fair point.

I'm working with a major studio and one of the problems with the special boxsets is around risk.

The merchants are in the business of selling shelf space ... so they obviously want to maximize it and what's turning on it. Special edition/gift boxsets take a lot more space and often don't fit on the standard fixture. Merchants also need to work within a budget. It's fine to carry a bunch of 19.95 new release titles, another thing to carry a bunch of specialty boxsets at 39.95.

The studios are concerned that if they misread demand, they could have a lot of returns from merchants.

Neither group wants to be burned so there needs to be a really compelling pitch for a special edition boxset.

How many Blade Runner type titles are out there i.e. titles with big followings that have not been (at least) adequately released to this point?

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
RickER said:
Edit:Amazon only shows a 4 disc DVD set w/o briefcase, and the price is $22. I bet the Wal-Mart link is a briefcase set.
When it states "Ultimate Edition" no matter what the image shows, it's the briefcase!

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Believe it or not but there are many die-hard BR fans out there who are not entirely satisfied with any of the 5 versions. The best and most complete release of Blade Runner should include a way for the fan to make his own cut. I think we already have the technology. The interface/menu should look something like this:

----------------------------------------

MAKE YOUR OWN CUT:

Narration: On/Off

Alternate Narration: On/Off

Original Ending: Yes/No

Alternate Ending: Yes/No

Unicorn Dream: Yes/No

Extra Violence: On/Off

Return To Film

-----------------------------------------

So what do you think? A missed opportunity?

Alex

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
AlexCremers said:
Believe it or not but there are many die-hard BR fans out there who are not entirely satisfied with any of the 5 versions. The best and most complete release of Blade Runner should include a way for the fan to make his own cut. I think we already have the technology. The interface/menu should look something like this:
----------------------------------------
MAKE YOUR OWN CUT:
Narration: On/Off
Alternate Narration: On/Off
Original Ending: Yes/No
Alternate Ending: Yes/No
Unicorn Dream: Yes/No
Extra Violence: On/Off
Return To Film
-----------------------------------------
So what do you think? A missed opportunity?
Alex
Not that I would in any way endorse bootleg/fan cuts, but given the multiple versions of the films, deleted scenes and the unbelievable wealth of alternate footage encorperated within the docu's - an enterprising fan with the right kit/software could really go nuts and make any cut they wanted.
IMHO - an option to seamlessly branch unlimited cuts would be overkill yes.

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Dave Simkiss said:
IMHO - an option to seamlessly branch unlimited cuts would be overkill yes.
No, I certainly wouldn't go as far as "unlimited cuts", just some of my above proposed options will do. I can imagine that it's indeed overkill to someone who is perfectly happy with a certain cut but there are plenty of fans who, for instance, want the voiceover but not the "Happy Ending" or those who like the Director's Cut but find the unicorn dream too decisive.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
AlexCremers said:
No, I certainly wouldn't go as far as "unlimited cuts", just some of my above proposed options will do. I can imagine that it's indeed overkill to someone who is perfectly happy with a certain cut but there are plenty of fans who, for instance, want the voiceover but not the "Happy Ending" or those who like Director's Cut but find the unicorn dream too decisive.
Tell them to negotiate rights, write a script, and produce their own damn film.
Sorry, but I find fan-edits, with a couple of exceptions (notably the Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled - for obvious reasons), to be truly atrocious in concept, arrogant beyond words, and disrespectful to everyone that worked on a feature.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I think we need to stop talking about fan edits.. I know that some people like them.. its also about the legal problems surrounding that. besides its the filmmakers movie.. he is releasing his different version for the fans. I am fine with what we are getting.
Jacob

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
AlexCremers said:
Believe it or not but there are many die-hard BR fans out there who are not entirely satisfied with any of the 5 versions.
Then they don't really like the film and should deal with it. There are 5 different cuts of the film, plus nearly an hour of deleted scenes, that the digial bits has called a 6th version. It's not up to the audience to edit a film, if they don't like it their loss, move onto another film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks