What's new

The Official 2019 Oscars Nomination Announcements Discussions & Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
80" but the viewing angle is within every auditorium in my area except for the IMAX theater.

Viewing angle and size do not equate 1 to 1 in my experience, but it's been while since I've seen a properly set up home projection system.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And keep in mind that the theater around here that play Netflix films has the smallest screens in the area and only 2k projection but at least it is the local theater most likely to be in focus.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Sorry but not even close in my opinion.
Well Tino, my home theater screen is 9-foot wide (2.35:1) and I sit 10 feet back, and the experience is more enjoyable for me than a large auditorium. But I'm sure my setup wouldn't impress you and that's just fine.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Of course there are plenty of crappy theaters out there where watching a film in a great home theater is a preferable.

However I’m speaking exclusively to properly projected films on a big screen with great sound. And that’s where home theaters fall short.
Tino,

I think you'll be surprise how many of us have only crappy movie theaters near us. I have to drive almost 65 miles to the nearest Dolby Cinema theater. My closest IMAX theater is almost 45 miles away. Making a blanket statement like "Sorry but not even close in my opinion" without any context doesn't address each of our individual home theaters nor the movie theaters available to each of us. With that said, opinions do vary among us so I take face value for your opinion as well as those opinions that run counter to yours.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Tino,

I think you'll be surprise how many of us have only crappy movie theaters near us. I have to drive almost 65 miles to the nearest Dolby Cinema theater. My closest IMAX theater is almost 45 miles away. Making a blanket statement like "Sorry but not even close in my opinion" without any context doesn't address each of our individual home theaters nor the movie theaters available to each of us. With that said, opinions do vary among us so I take face value for your opinion as well as those opinions that run counter to yours.

ExactLy.

Was my point a few posts back too.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well Tino, my home theater screen is 9-foot wide (2.35:1) and I sit 10 feet back, and the experience is more enjoyable for me than a large auditorium. But I'm sure my setup wouldn't impress you and that's just fine.
I’m sure It would impress me very much. But that wasn’t my point.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Making a blanket statement like "Sorry but not even close in my opinion" without any context doesn't address each of our individual home theaters nor the movie theaters available to each of us.
But I did add context and clarify my position.

I’m not criticizing any ones home theater as there are many here that are truly impressive. I never said that and that’s not my intent.

All I said was that in my opinion they could not compare with a great moviegoing experience like an IMAX or Dolby Cinema presentation for example where the size of the screen, the projection and the sound are tremendous.

And I stand by that opinion.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But I did add context and clarify my position.

I’m not criticizing any ones home theater as there are many here that are truly impressive. I never said that and that’s not my intent.

All I said was that in my opinion they could not compare with a great moviegoing experience like an IMAX or Dolby Cinema presentation for example where the size of the screen, the projection and the sound are tremendous.

And I stand by that opinion.
And as I stated those type of theaters are not available to those of us that don't live in or near a big city. Anyhow, it's clarified now.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And as I stated those type of theaters are not available to those of us that don't live in or near a big city.
I get that completely. I never said otherwise.

And again that wasn’t my point.

To be clear, my opinion is not an attack on anyone’s home theaters or their moviegoing preferences.

Jeez. :emoji_zipper_mouth:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I get that completely. I never said otherwise.

And again that wasn’t my point.

To be clear, my opinion is not an attack on anyone’s home theaters or their moviegoing preferences.

Jeez. :emoji_zipper_mouth:
Then we're done with this topic!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I get why Spielberg wants to preserve the theatrical experience. And I would encourage that effort given the clout he has. But I’d also like to see him use that same clout to raise the quality of the average cinema experience in a way that doesn’t pass the entirety of that expense on to the consumer. The studios are taking higher percentages than ever of the the box office gross. It would be nice to see some of that money being invested in making the experience better.

I don’t think lobbying for the theatrical experience means anything if there also isn’t an effort in tandem to improve the shortcomings that have created opportunities for services like Netflix to thrive.

I wish I could bring some of my favorite contemporary filmmakers (and their respective studios) to the theater with me to see how far the actual experience has drifted from what they must imagine it is.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I get why Spielberg wants to preserve the theatrical experience. And I would encourage that effort given the clout he has. But I’d also like to see him use that same clout to raise the quality of the average cinema experience in a way that doesn’t pass the entirety of that expense on to the consumer. The studios are taking higher percentages than ever of the the box office gross. It would be nice to see some of that money being invested in making the experience better.

I don’t think lobbying for the theatrical experience means anything if there also isn’t an effort in tandem to improve the shortcomings that have created opportunities for services like Netflix to thrive.

I wish I could bring some of my favorite contemporary filmmakers (and their respective studios) to the theater with me to see how far the actual experience has drifted from what they must imagine it is.
It would be nice for a lot of things, but corporate greed always wins out. I wish the courts didn't force the studios to sell their movie theaters, but we might still have the same situation today.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My money is on The Green Book.
Just saw that I predicted Green Book would win when the nominations were announced. Then I got caught up in the Roma BP talk and changed my prediction. Shoulda stuck with my gut.

I’ve seen Green Book three times now and have enjoyed it more each time. Imo it doesn’t deserve the bashing it’s getting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just saw that I predicted Green Book would win when the nominations were announced. Then I got caught up in the Roma BP talk and changed my prediction. Shoulda stuck with my gut.

I’ve seen Green Book three times now and have enjoyed it more each time. Imo it doesn’t deserve the bashing it’s getting.
From your perspective perhaps not, but from some others I think the criticism is valid.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

For me -- since I don't have any home theater setup to speak of, just a TV with stereo sound and a fairly standard Blu-ray player -- the theater experience beats what I can get in my home no matter what.

However, for the last few years, my local Cinemark always letterboxes 2.35:1 films. So it has the effect of feeling like I'm watching a Blu-ray at the theater, instead of having the image fill the big screen. It didn't used to be this way -- when I vacationed here in 2014, I saw Nightcrawler, Interstellar and Big Hero 6 at this same theater and their images were presented in their correct ratios and filled the screen. But somewhere along the way, Cinemark has gotten lazy and no longer cares about using the entire big screen.

This is fundamentally bizarre to me, because seeing a widescreen film presented correctly in its original aspect ratio and using the entirety of the big screen is something that could differentiate the theatrical experience from the in-home one. But the theaters are no longer taking advantage of that opportunity.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Steven Spielberg campaigning to have films produced/distributed by streaming services excluded from Oscar consideration:

https://ew.com/movies/2019/03/01/steven-spielberg-netflix-oscars-2/

Netflix fires back:

"We love cinema. Here are some things we also love:

-Access for people who can't always afford, or live in towns without, theaters

-Letting everyone, everywhere enjoy releases at the same time

-Giving filmmakers more ways to share art

These things are not mutually exclusive."

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
So for those who are against what Spielberg is proposing, what's the downside of it? In the case of Roma, Netflix would have either:

1) Gone forward with their streaming release in December and had the film not be eligible for Academy Awards.

2) Released the film in L.A. County for 7 days and held the film back from their streaming service until mid-March.

3) Released the film in a normal theatrical release (as they did) and held the film back from their streaming service until mid-March.

I can't say for sure what they would have done under the proposed rule change, but I tend to lean towards #3. That would have been fine with me. It would have been even more of a wide release than it already was since chains like AMC, Regal and Cinemark would have picked it up in select theaters.

Again though, what's the downside? Netflix subscribers would have to wait until March to watch it at home?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I have a feeling that they would have put it on the smallest screen in LA for one week and then wait three months so it would have had a smaller theatrical release. They want to make everyone pay for their service to see the film.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
NetFlix was also screening the film for Guild and BAFTA and AMPAS members etc. all over Los Angeles.
As well as advertising on nearly every conceivable outdoor space they could get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks