What's new

The Official 2019 Oscars Nomination Announcements Discussions & Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I think these are pretty funny to read....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...lot-roma-just-an-expensive-home-movie-1187668

"Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot: 'Roma' Just an "Expensive Home Movie," "About F—ing Time" for Spike Lee 7:00 AM 2/20/2019
by Anonymous, as told to Scott Feinberg
A director casts his vote for 'BlacKkKlansman' and its "genius" helmer, but doesn't buy Lady Gaga for "a single moment" — and by the way, he's not watching ABC's hostless, "idiotic" show....

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For context, I've removed a couple of posts in advance of this post.

Martin:

All I was trying to do was explain that the way the Electoral College works is in no way similar to the voting that has been set up by AMPAS to decide the winner of Best Picture.

I was not advocating that the Electoral College was either good or bad. it just...is.

I apologize to the forum for taking the conversation temporarily down a rabbit hole.

Carry on.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So after pondering all the nominated for Best Picture films, I would rate them in this order.

1.Bohemian Rhapsody
2.The Favourite
3.A Star Is Born
4.Roma
5.BlacKkKlansman
6.Green Book
7.Black Panther
8.Vice

My top 4 have interchanged for #1 often.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The train wreck continues.

You know, I don't think we can blame the Academy, or the producers, for this one. It sounds like it was Lamar's choice that he couldn't rearrange his schedule and do it. I'm sure this is a loss to the telecast and not something the Academy wanted -- this is one of the songs they wanted to keep even when they were thinking about cutting some, so this situation is certainly ironic -- but what are they going to do?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
You know, I don't think we can blame the Academy, or the producers, for this one. It sounds like it was Lamar's choice that he couldn't rearrange his schedule and do it. I'm sure this is a loss to the telecast and not something the Academy wanted -- this is one of the songs they wanted to keep even when they were thinking about cutting some, so this situation is certainly ironic -- but what are they going to do?
We can blame them for not locking him down, or a suitable replacement, as soon as the nominations came out.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We can blame them for not locking him down, or a suitable replacement, as soon as the nominations came out.

Somehow, I expect that whatever scheduling prohibits him from being there was probably in place before the nominations were announced. This isn't something that a performer would miss lightly.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Somehow, I expect that whatever scheduling prohibits him from being there was probably in place before the nominations were announced. This isn't something that a performer would miss lightly.

That may be, but then the timing is odd.

If it was a long known commitment, then a replacement should have been ready to step in. An already in place Plan B.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If it was a long known commitment, then a replacement should have been ready to step in. An already in place Plan B.

Except that Kendrick Lamar chose not to do it and no one else involved with the song wanted to replace him. That's not on the Academy.

Deadline said:
Lamar, from what we’ve heard from sources outside AMPAS, has been abroad and the closing four-week schedule post-noms was a challenge to turn around a stage performance that would do justice to “All the Stars.” As such, the mutual decision between all parties, Lamar’s camp and Oscars, was to forgo a performance of the song on Sunday

Lamar, who has performed at three of the past four Grammys, reportedly also was unable to perform at this month’s show due to work abroad. “All the Stars” was Grammy-nominated for Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Rap/Sung Performance and Best Song Written for Visual Media but came away empty-handed.

None of the other nominees, i.e. SZA, wanted to perform “All the Stars” live without Lamar. It’s a complex song and not one you could just hand over to anyone else, so not having Lamar perform it didn’t make sense.
Decades ago, the Oscars would pair the wrong singers to perform covers of songs, i.e. Ann Reinking doing Phil Collins’ “Against All Odds” or Connie Stevens crooning Paul McCartney and Wings’ “Live or Let Die.” That wasn’t going to happen on “All the Stars.”

Bold emphasis in the above quote added by me.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/black-...s-will-not-be-performed-at-oscars-1202561550/

The Academy and the show's producers has done a lot of things wrong this year. I don't think this is one of them. It's just one of those unfortunate things that happens.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
So after pondering all the nominated for Best Picture films, I would rate them in this order.

1.Bohemian Rhapsody
2.The Favourite
3.A Star Is Born
4.Roma
5.BlacKkKlansman
6.Green Book
7.Black Panther
8.Vice

My top 4 have interchanged for #1 often.

I learned some things from Vice, and I thought the make-up and the performance were both impressive, but I agree with you that it is really not Best Picture material. All of the others I guess I'm ok with. My ranking is probably similar to yours except that I'd put Spike Lee's movie higher.

Reactions: PMF

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not scientific by any means, but EW has published their annual survey of six anonymous Oscar voters to see who they're supporting. Surprisingly, each of the six chose a different film for BP. For the lead acting awards, the majority chose Olivia Colman (The Favourite) and Christian Bale (Vice). Other choices at the link below:

https://ew.com/oscars/2019/02/21/oscars-anonymous-voters-reveal-picks/

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks