The Office (UK) discussion thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dave Smith, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to give people a heads-up; BBC America is starting to show The Office from 9.20pm CST tonight (Thursday).

The series has had rave reviews in the UK. It's a sort of fake documentary-style comedy, with no laugh track, and is genuinely very good indeed.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Want to give this thread a bump as I was just about to post a similiar message to "warn" people to watch it [​IMG]

Very very funny. The recently released DVD is now the best selling "non film" DVD in the UK ever.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Ta muchly

4. Michael St. Clair

I'll program my Tivo to pick up the 1:20am (EST) rebroadcast.

Also:

Fri, Jan 24 5:20AM-6:00AM
    Sun, Jan 26 10:40PM-11:20PM
    Mon, Jan 27 1:40AM-2:20AM

5. Paul Mason

Paul Mason Stunt Coordinator

If you liked Office Space you'll probably like The Office.

Be interesting to see whether works for an American audience.

6. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

I first heard about this show while reading Entertainment Weekly magazine. They gave it a rave review so I set the Tivo to grab it for me, and I am SO glad I did! This show is incredibly funny! It is Office Space meets Spinal Tap.

If you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend checking it out. I don't normally go for "British humor" but found this show to be one of the funniest things I have seen on TV in quite a long time. I don't think it falls under the "British humor" tag. It is just plain HUMOR! Brilliant!

I can’t wait for the next episode!

7. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

That's for the head's up. I love Britcoms so I will definitely check out the show.

Gregory

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn Stunt Coordinator

I saw "The Office" when I was still living in the UK. It's OK kinda like "I'm Alan Partridge" without the funny bits. Another really funny show in the same vein is "People Like Us"

10. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I watched the first episode and I think it has potential. I really wish they would clean up the audio though. Some of them have heavier accents than I'm used to hearing on BBC shows, plus they use more slang I don't know, and to top it off the documentary style just makes the dialog hard to hear. Normally I can understand the accents and figure out the slang based on context, but sometimes I just couldn't make out enough of what they were saying.

Also, I hope they don't focus on the manager all the time. He got on my nerves pretty quick. I understood the joke, they didn't need to spend most of the show pointing it out. The stuff with the Assistant Manager and that other guy was pretty damn funny. The stapler in the jello was a great joke.

11. George Hunka

George Hunka Extra

12. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Working was great. I really liked how they would bend reality in it for a joke. But that made it different The Office. The Office is filmed like a documentary which could take place in a real office.

Still, this is another occasion where there is no need for an American version. Is there anything about Coupling that most Americans won't understand? Why do they need an American version of that? Sure there's some occasional slang, but that can be figured out. They tried to do Red Dwarf, and that died with the pilot, thankfully. Just bring the good British shows here and let them be.

13. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

What an unbelivable funny show, the writing, the pacing, the gags and the characters are all top notch.

David Brent's Comic Relief Dance might be one the best moments in TV ever!

As for the Dawn/Tim relationship in the special
    I felt that Dawn getting the Secret Santa Gift from Tim, was the perfect way to close that chapter of the story. The Ending speech of Tim saying that there are no endings and life is justa series of moments would have been perfect way to end. I always thought that it would be Tim to inspire Dawn to continue illustrating when nobody else would. Dawn and Lee werent the perfect couple, but at least they stuck together.

I've never seen the US version, how is that one?

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

15. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

And the (US) Office DVD is due out soon.

[​IMG] [​IMG]