What's new

Pre-Order The Office: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71PUPqzPm3L._SL1229_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

As an Amazon Associate Home Theater Forum will earn from qualifying purchases.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here's hoping they just take the cheap way out and re-press season 9 as is and forget about that little moral panic edit they made.

I'm guessing the price will be down to the equivalent of about $10 per season before release date, which isn't bad at all.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The individual bluray releases of The Office was extremely troubled. Seasons 5, 7, and 9 were fine on bluray with no issues.

The season 6 bluray set was released in really horrible packaging which caused the discs to warp. (The season 4 bluray of Heroes also came in this horrible packaging which warped the discs).

Fortunately I was lucky when I came across a season 6 bluray set, which sounded like the discs were "loose" when the sealed package was shaken slightly. When I opened it, the discs were not warped. (This was the only indicator I encountered, which suggested the discs were not clamped down tightly into the disc trays which caused warping).

The season 8 bluray set was even nastier. It was released as double-sided flipper discs, where each respective BD59 flipper disc had the bluray verson on sideA and the corresponding dvd version on sideB.

Lets hope the complete series set does not have any of these atrocities for the seasons 6 and 8 bluray sets.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Here's hoping they just take the cheap way out and re-press season 9 as is and forget about that little moral panic edit they made.

The middle ground would be to reauthor the disc with the blackface episode in question, by adding a short intro segment before the episode starts about the context. (Sorta similar to what streaming service hbo max did recently with "gone with the wind").

If they're really lazy and they don't want to reauthor anything, Universal can include a "bonus disc" dvd included with the set with a short documentary about the context of the blackface episode, and newer interviews with the cast.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Here's hoping they just take the cheap way out and re-press season 9 as is and forget about that little moral panic edit they made

I really don't understand these comments. Streaming isn't the same as changing physical discs. How many times have DVDs/Blu Ray discs been changed for such things?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Subscription streaming of shows that have completed their first run is the 21st century equivalent to syndication. It’s long been common practice to drop episodes from syndication where the events portrayed in the episode don’t match the current sensibilities, since the reairing of this older material is considered by many to be an endorsement of the values contained within. There is also a long history of physical media packages including episodes that aren’t part of the syndication package because the audience is different and the context in which the content is being viewed is different.

It’s really no different than when a TV station edits an R rated movie to meet broadcast standards; it doesn’t change the existence or availability of the original R rated version.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I recently finished going through this giant set and while no one cares :), Universal did add a few things that weren't on the DVD sets.

Season Two Blu-ray has "Jenna Fischer's Booze Cruise Video Blog" which runs 8:00
Season Three: "The William S. Paley Television Festival 2007: The Office" (22:48)
Season Four: "The Office Convention: Cast Q&A" (58:46)

The convention Q&A was on The Office: Overtime DVD (the one with the podcasts). I'm guessing that the S2 and S3 features were originally on a store-exclusive bonus disc.

And technically, the Season Nine Blu-ray set has another feature (The Office: Behind The Scenes Panel) that wasn't on the DVD but it was on the first Blu-ray set.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I recently finished going through this giant set and while no one cares :), Universal did add a few things that weren't on the DVD sets.

Season Two Blu-ray has "Jenna Fischer's Booze Cruise Video Blog" which runs 8:00
Season Three: "The William S. Paley Television Festival 2007: The Office" (22:48)
Season Four: "The Office Convention: Cast Q&A" (58:46)

The convention Q&A was on The Office: Overtime DVD (the one with the podcasts). I'm guessing that the S2 and S3 features were originally on a store-exclusive bonus disc.

And technically, the Season Nine Blu-ray set has another feature (The Office: Behind The Scenes Panel) that wasn't on the DVD but it was on the first Blu-ray set.
Is the controversial episode altered/edited?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The S9 Christmas episode is intact, because Uni didn't do anything but re-press the old seasons.

The suicide opening is still missing from S6's Koi Pond, once again because Uni didn't do anything other than re-press the old seasons.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The S9 Christmas episode is intact, because Uni didn't do anything but re-press the old seasons.

The suicide opening is still missing from S6's Koi Pond, once again because Uni didn't do anything other than re-press the old seasons.
Yeah, everything is either ported over from the DVDs or, in the case of S5 to 9, the contents of the discs are literally the same as the original Blu-ray releases. The only thing that is (kind of) missing is The Office: Overtime DVD that had some of the webisode series and panels that never made the season sets but that disc was never part of the season or series DVD sets.

The funny thing about that is it is not the most controversial thing in that show to me. In the first season, Michael is repeating a Chris Rock routine and is bleeped saying the N-word (it's not edited for the disc, it has always been bleeped) and the third season has an episode where Michael says "the other f-word" multiple times. Now both incidents are presented as a bad and dumb thing that Michael is doing but personally, I'd rate them as more offensive than a 3-second blackface joke.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Yeah, everything is either ported over from the DVDs or, in the case of S5 to 9, the contents of the discs are literally the same as the original Blu-ray releases.

This is a question for anybody who has both the original double-sided flipper discs season 8 bluray set, and the newer re-released season 8 bluray set or the complete series set.

Are the corresponding bluray sides exactly identical on all five discs of season 8, for both the original double-sided flipper discs and re-released single-sided discs versions?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only reason why I never purchased the original season 8 bluray set, were the numerous complaints about the double-sided flipper discs where sideA was the bluray version and sideB was the corresponding dvd version.

The few bluray/dvd flipper discs combos I had purchased previously, were absolute nightmares to deal with.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This is a question for anybody who has both the original double-sided flipper discs season 8 bluray set, and the newer re-released season 8 bluray set or the complete series set.

Are the corresponding bluray sides exactly identical on all five discs of season 8, for both the original double-sided flipper discs and re-released single-sided discs versions?
I don't have the original S8 Blu-ray set so I can't speak directly to them but the S5 to S9 discs in the series set all have the various styles of menus that Universal used early on in the life of Blu-ray. Based on that, I think that the discs in the series set are literally the same contents as the original ones.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't have the original S8 Blu-ray set so I can't speak directly to them but the S5 to S9 discs in the series set all have the various styles of menus that Universal used early on in the life of Blu-ray. Based on that, I think that the discs in the series set are literally the same contents as the original ones.

If you put the season 8 bluray discs into a computer bluray-r drive and look at the disc contents , are the file timestamps from 2012 or 2020 (or 2019) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks