What's new

The Office: Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I forgot to mention also how I got a kick out of the mention of how Grandpa Schrute was re-buried, tying in to the Season Two finale where Dwight mentioned that he was wearing the tux in which his grandfather was buried. It was a very "Arrested Development" piece of throwaway continuity for loyal viewers.

Regards,

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Make a statue to honor him. 'yes but let's make him 3/4 size so we can overpower him if he attacks us'

This exchance cracked me up.

ChrisCAB

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in as one who thought last night's episode was funny. Not as good as the season premier (best 22 minutes of tv in a good while) but good nonetheless.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I didn't like the episode much. The only good stuff was the scene with Dwight and Michael about building a statue, and the scenes with Jim and Karen.

~T

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
The episode sounds funnier when I repeat to my co-workers who missed it. I was watching it this morning before work and thought it was alright but not as good as the last three. That said even a weak episode for this show is still better than the best that some of the sitcoms have to give to us.

"Do you have your recorder?"
"Always!"

When Michael mentioned that Creed had known Ed, I was half expecting Creed to say "Who?"

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
bah, sorry about the double post, my ISP was having issues over the weekend (i work for my isp) and the slowness due to a DDOS caused the double post.

just caught it, in fact i didn't think this posted at all...

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Pretty funny stuff!!

Michael: I don’t understand. We have a day honoring Martin Luther King, but he didn’t even work here.
Jan: I understand how you feel, Michael, I really do. So would it be helpful to give everyone the day off?
Michael: You really don’t get it, do you. You don’t understand these people. That is the last thing that they would want, is a day off.
Jan: Well, what would you suggest.
Michael: A statue.
Jan: Of Ed?
Michael: Yeah.
Jan: I’m not sure that’s realistic.
Michael: Well, I think it would be very realistic. It would look just like him.
Jan: No, that’s not …
Michael: We could have his eyes light up, we could have his arms move …
Dwight: That is not a statue, that is a robot.
Michael: I think that is a great way to honor Ed.
Dwight: And how big do you want this robot?
Michael: Life size.
Dwight: Mmm, no. Better make it two-thirds. Easier to stop it if it turns on us.
Jan: What the hell are you two talking about?

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The humor in this show is shifting a little. In some ways it's getting more sophisticated. (That is NOT meant as a dig to those who didn't enjoy it last night)... count me in as someone who would probably like more "gust-busting hilarious" moments than we've been getting this season. But in some ways last night's episode reminded me more of the British "Office", which unfortunately may be why people are complaining about it being not funny.

I loved it. The characters are so much fun to watch. I love that they have the shock of Ed Truck's death manifest as Michael reacting to his own morality and his own "legacy", but not once is this brought up superficially. It's all in the subtext. Fricking brilliantly written show.

The robot thing was great. I also loved Pam's speech, which started off obviously goofy but really "got to" Michael. She seemed to know exactly what he needed to stop bothering everyone! Both she and Jim are up to their old tricks, just not together. And Kelly's "grief" about Ryan... priceless!

The Jim/Karen scenes weren't that funny, but they were enjoyable. It was sweet seeing Jim react smittenly to her French-speaking. It's nice to see Jim moving on (for now). Andy is my favorite new "love to hate" character. Can't wait till them get him and Dwight in the same room.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
I thought "Grief Counseling" was absolutely hilarious.

When Pam started talking about her aunt the boxer, I was totally laughing out loud and I laughed even harder when Ryan picked up on it and talked about his going on a safari in Africa . . . with his cousin Musafa. Who was killed by wildebeasts. It's as if Pam took over the Jim role and Ryan became the Pam to her Jim.

I guess if you didn't know that Pam and Ryan were both talking about the plot of a movie, it would not have been all that funny. But I loved the look on Ryan's face when Kevin started in with Weekend at Bernie's becuase Ryan knew that Michael would figure that one out.

I do think having Jim stay in Stamford much longer is hurting the show, though, because everything is funnier when he's around. I hope he comes back to Scranton soon. His interaction with Michael, Dwigt and Pam makes them all funnier.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The thing about THE OFFICE is, it often takes multiple viewings to realize just how funny it is. So, a first viewing of an episode is sort of just like skimming a story. You get an idea of what it is about, but then you go back and really see what it is like.

Like with the British version. I'm embarassed to admit that afte watching Season 1, I didn't quite get the hype. But then, in watching season 2, I totally got it, and watching the first season again, they were a lot funnier.

It is a show, like THE SIMPSONS, that really demands multiple viewings. I won't be able to tell you if it was a good or bad episode until years from now when I've seen each episode 10 times or so.

Not that I didn't like this episode, I did. Very funny.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Best moment of the show?

That quick, "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" shot of the old Dunder-Mifflin newsletter on Michael's desk, showing him shaking hands with Ed Truck as the newest regional manager...

...and Michael sporting the "Billy Ray Cyrus" mullet.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

But did you catch the best thing about that shot? Michael covering up Ed's head with a piece of paper, to see what he would look like without it?

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I didnt even notice Michael covering up his head, LOL.
I liked this last weeks episode alot, I dont think the show is falling off in the slightest.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I did notice that and thought it was hillarious. Personally, I was thinking the episode was the best of this new season until all the focus shifted from Ed's decapitation to the dead bird. I thought it hit a wall then(no pun intended) and ended on a down note. Overall, I'm still a little disappointed with how this season has started, but it's only 4 episodes in so there's a lot of time for it to get back on track..........hopefully.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I was browsing the TWOP board and I can't believe how many people wish the Pam & Jim thing was all resolved and happy by now. Don't they know that is the death nell for any series? She turned the guy down twice! Why should he put his life on hold until she changes her mind? Why should she expect him to stay available in case she does change her mind. Personally I am hoping that Jim and Karen should both go back to Scranton as a real couple and have Pam be all weird for awhile. It would be more interesting than Pam & Jim as a couple right away. I also thin that Pam needs to grow and spread her wings a bit since it seems like she has been with Roy since highschool and resigned herself to a very vanilla existence. They shouldn't get together until the last season, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks