"The Office" cursing muted for US DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by James Luckard, Jan 8, 2005.

1. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

I got "The Office" complete set for Xmas and just started watching it. I've only watched the first two episodes, but it seems like some cursing has been muted. Was this the way it was shown in the UK, or was this done for the American version?

Here are the two examples I've noticed. Since the American DVD is a PAL to NTSC transfer, the timings should work for both DVD sets.

In the first episode, at 3:55, David Brent says "I could look at you and come up with something really witty and biting like 'You're a bit...'" He clearly says something, but it's been muted and I can't tell what it is, ruining the joke.

In the second episode, at 26:15, David Brent says "You're taking the piss and I'm getting ... sick of it." Watching his lips, he's clearly saying "f---ing," but the subtitles don't include the word either.

Anybody who has the British DVDs and can help?

2. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

Both of them are like that on the region 2 DVD as well.
    In the first instance, David can't come up with a witty remark and that's the joke. In the second one, he doesn't swear because his boss is standing next to him and he's trying to contain himself and be serious...at least I think so [​IMG]
    Anyways, it wouldn't make sense for them to mute only those two words since they're saying a lot of "worse" things later (worse, as in worse on the TV-scale).

3. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

What you say makes sense for each instance. It just seemed like there was a total lack of sound at those points, but I guess I was overreacting. And you're right, as I've made it a few episodes further, I've noticed more swearing, so they clearly didn't mute anything.

Anyway, it's good to know that's how the episodes were intended. Thanks for your help.