The Office: Christmas Specials on DVD? (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Cory-C, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Cory-C

Cory-C Extra

I heard that there were 2 Specials of The Office. I don't remember seeing one on Season 1, so are they supposed to appear on the Season 2 set. Or perhaps their own individual discs?

Also, I am praying America does not botch the remake job like Coupling. I heard Gervais would have some input, so that some what sets me at ease. However, for now I am going to assume the vast majority of the public just will not "get" it.

2. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I'm praying that the pilot doesn't even get picked up! Right now the show is perfect and we don't need to taint it!

As for the specials (which I have yet to see), I also hope they are included in the season 2 box set. Have they even played on BBC America yet? Without them, I don't feel I'm getting the complete series and I don't know if they would release another DVD with just the specials. I assume they were each only a half hour?

Ric

3. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I asked this question earlier this week in another thread...no specials in the second season R1 set, nor in the UK set. I had the same concern about eventually getting them, thought they might package a bunch of other stuff with them for a future disc to make it worth releasing over here.

Edit: it is a "The Office" thread by Tom Woodward that shows the disc cover.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

The Christmas specials, which both aired here in December, were roughly forty-five minutes each, and the last ever episodes. It's expected there will be an R2 releases around October/November of this year, which may allow for a Region 1 release at the same time, or early in 2005.

Dan (UK)

5. TomWoodward

TomWoodward Second Unit

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the US won't be getting the Christmas episodes in the Series 2 package I'm afraid. They certainly aren't mentioned in the press release anyway. I wouldn't have thought you'd get them until early next year because we aren't getting them till Christmas in the UK. Was meant to be easter but I guess the BBC thought they'd be more marketable around the Christmas period. Sorry!

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    They will almost certainly air them on BBC America a few times before releasing the R1 DVD. With only 12 episodes and 2 specials, I really don't mind if they spread it out a little bit, although I am anxious to see them.

Regards,

7. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

I had a friend send me the Office specials from the UK and they are wonderful, as for the US series, we at least have some casting news on that... at least for some of the roles

8. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

I can't believe that this is being turned into a series in the US. Good grief, it's not like they're speaking another language. The networks need to find some original material for a change.

9. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Since the hit series The Office was only shown for two seasons on the BBC they have released both on DVD practically back to back.

However, this last Christmas Ricky Gervais & Co. released a two part special that reunited the cast for an "aftermath" mocumentary that tied together the loose ends.

Will these "finale" episodes see the light of day on DVD any time soon?

According to the BBC website Ricky and Stephen are in pre-production on an American version with "peckish" Steve Carell from The Daily Show as "The Boss From Hell." Should be interesting since the BBC producers and creators of the original The Office are over-seeing this incarnation and giving approval of the scripts.

Ricky Gervais even stated that it shouldn't be another screwed up Americanized British sitcom as they specifically based the sketch concept of The Office from U.S. mocumentaries like This Is Spinal Tap.

Dan

10. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

11. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Why not put it on HBO and make it gritty like the original?

Why would they try to put an obviously adult comedy on a regular network??? That's definitely a sure fire recipe for the disaster they had.

Maybe they'll have the hutzpa to re-tool.

Dan

12. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

I talked to Ricky Gervais a a few weeks ago, and he mentioned that he thought the R1 DVD of the Christmas specials would be out by the end of the year.

13. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Amazon UK has a release date listed on their site (10/25/04-if I remember correctly). It's available for pre-order. I would be happy just to see it on BBC America....throw the US fans a bone!

Ron

PS: Randy, tell Ricky we want to import him his "stand up act" to the States. I watched the Animal DVD the other night....very funny stuff. I would love to see Ricky perform in person.

14. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

15. Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn Stunt Coordinator

For those of you planning to pick up the Office Specials DVD on Tuesday, ESPECIALLY if you haven't seen it, be forewarned that the back of the packaging has a photo of a HUGE spoiler from the end of the special! Big thumbs down to whoever thought to pull that one off.

16. Chris Bergmann

Chris Bergmann Second Unit

If you already have the DVD - could you tell me whether both parts of the Christmas Special are complete with opening and end credits or whether they are edited into one big 90-minute special like they where aired on BBC America?

By editing them together BBCAmerica cut one small scene that comes after the end credits of part one.

17. Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn Stunt Coordinator

I don't have the DVD yet (I looked at the box art on DVDEmpire.com) but I believe that the R2 version had each special separately, and this disc is basically the same release.

18. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

I have the R2 disc and I can confirm that the two parts are seperate. The commentary is only for the 2nd part. And yes, there is a major spoiler on the back cover. DO NOT look at it unless you wanna know what happens at the very end.

19. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Yeah I picked this up yesterday and I was gonna come on here and post something about the spoiler on the back. Luckily, I had already seen it, and that really was one of the greatest moments on TV in a long time. Call me crazy, but I was almost in tears.

Anyway the DVD also comes with a bonus CD of David Brent singing If you don't know me by now and Free Love on the Free Love Freeway. Funny stuff. and it's a full studio version of Free love, not just the one from the training day.

I love this show,

Chris

20. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Thanks for the spoiler warning. Having seen the rest of the series, I can imagine what it is (or what I hope it is) but I'll still try not to look at it.

Don't have it yet as Best Buy, Target, and Circuit City didn't have it today.