What's new

Pre-Order The Odd Couple: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Delmo
Hard pass unless the music is restored. I still can't believe they cut the line "I'm Myrna, fly me" from the "Flying Felix" episode as the airline that produced the commercial that the line references no longer exists. Who would sue?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I imagine if the episodes were restored to their ABC network versions it would be promoted as such as that is a great selling point. When the complete Bonanza set was released they promoted that Season 2 was redone using original 35MM source material instead of existing tape master that was used for it's previous individual season release. If there is an improvement they will announce it, if its the same old, they will say nothing.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Hard pass unless the music is restored. I still can't believe they cut the line "I'm Myrna, fly me" from the "Flying Felix" episode as the airline that produced the commercial that the line references no longer exists. Who would sue?
I would suppose their fear is the music publisher or the composer of the jingle. Of course as the seasons went on CBS/Paramount was even cutting PUBLIC DOMAIN songs like Scatman Crothers doing "Give My Regards to Broadway" at one point. They just went for the wholesale butchery approach like the infamous Season 2 release of "The Fugitive" except when a song was REALLY important to the plot (like "Stumbling All Around" in the Monty Hall episode).

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Any updates as to whether any cut footage from the DVDs was restored?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
One review of the set on Amazon indicates it is still cut, still butchered. So NO SALE.

You can get one episode restored ("I Gotta Be Me") on Imprint Blu Ray release of the two movies which had 10 episodes from the series as a bonus, but only the one episode had been a previously cut one.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Too bad it is cut but I am also wondering how much of an upgrade the video portion is over the DVD sets I bought forever ago. Also these, like the DVDs seem better than what you can catch everyday on Catchy Comedy. Those seem cut even more for running time.

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz
Catchy being part of METV is using the same edited prints. They run about 22:05 without commercials versus their roughly 24-25 minute network original versions. Too bad with all of these classic tv stations, someone hasn't had the initiative to run a classic tv channel with shows uncut. For those of you who remember when TV Land first started, they aired everything uncut.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Catchy being part of METV is using the same edited prints. They run about 22:05 without commercials versus their roughly 24-25 minute network original versions. Too bad with all of these classic tv stations, someone hasn't had the initiative to run a classic tv channel with shows uncut. For those of you who remember when TV Land first started, they aired everything uncut.
I don’t think they are the same. I compared the Scrooge gets an Oscar episode on Catchy vs what I have on DVD. The version on DVD is longer and has extra bits especially where Felix is auditioning the guys for the part of Scrooge. On Catchy one or two of them are skipped.

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz
I don’t think they are the same. I compared the Scrooge gets an Oscar episode on Catchy vs what I have on DVD. The version on DVD is longer and has extra bits especially where Felix is auditioning the guys for the part of Scrooge. On Catchy one or two of them are skipped.
I was comparing Catchy Comedy to METV not the DVD prints. All prints airing on television are more than likely edited for time

Pismo

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
It's on sale on Amazon for 39% off. ($48.99). I'm tempted even with the editing issues and the fact that I already own the regular DVDs.

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Even when Paramount was still financially solvent and Garry Marshall was alive, they wouldn't spend the extra $ to clear the music rights. So slim to no chance that they will ever be officially released unmolested. A fairly good chance Paramount will be bought or merged by a different company so who knows, the new CEO may be a New Yorker who loved the show and wants it to be restored. Ha. In any event, the old DVDs are not bad and as much as I LOVE the show (top three TV sitcoms ever to me) I will probably pass on this set. But I've said that before and caved in...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I totally missed this release news, totally unexpected too. I’m very tempted to pick this up even though it appears the cuts have not been restored.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Call me stupid, but I did buy this blu ray set. It arrived yesterday, so I’ll try to check it out this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks