What's new

The Odd Couple Season One? Time-Life Exclusive? (1 Viewer)

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
One possible S1 continuity goof (?): According to the ep, "The Jury Story," Oscar and Felix first meet while on jury duty; however, in the narrarated-opening (used later in S1 and for the remainder of the series), Oscar and Felix are "childhood friends." Never noticed this until watching the fourth disc. (Of course, it had been forever-and-a-half since I had seen "The Jury Story.") Still enjoying the set, though!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
My favorite first season episodes? Some that immediately pop to mind are :

"The Jury Story"
"Felix is Missing"
"It's All Over Now, Baby Bird"
"Oscar's Ulcer"
"Fight of the Felix"

Yes. And then, later on in the credits for another season, the same narration is used but the word "childhood" is edited out in front of "friend". So it says: "He appeared at the home of his friend, Oscar Madison". I think it's better this way, because the earliest episode in the series that mentions their meeting is "The Jury Story," so that's the one they should have stuck with. Of course, as the series progressed, there were all sorts of flashback explanations given for how they actually met (once more as kids, once while they were army buddies...)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
There was a later episode where Oscar discovers that he and Felix met as kids, can't remember which one. The "childhood friend" narration was later I believe.

I think my fave S1 eps. are the Scrooge one and the Halloween party locked in the basement one.

:)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I think it's the later episode called "Our Fathers" where we see how Oscar's gangster dad and Felix's optometrist dad met (remember "Blinky" Madison?) and Mr. Madison tried to kill Mr. Unger. There's some silly flashback where Felix as a child meets Oscar as a child. At least I think this was the episode.

Mike*SC

Second Unit

Yes, that's the episode. And I'm pretty sure Young Felix is actually British in it! I think the episode sort of implies that the childhood encounter is not one they remember. Nonetheless, "The Odd Couple" was never concerned with continuity of any sort. You can watch them pretty much in any order, except for the last episode.

Jefff

Agent
Greetings!
As I am a HUGE Odd Couple fan,just wanted to point out to those that are interested in such things,That TOC was full of inconsistencies-tons in fact!
This is an interesting link that lists most,if not all of them.
http://www.oddcouple.info/nitpick.html
Also,if Im not mistaken the first 15 or 16 episodes did not have the spoken
introduction,after that it was added but changed in a few places-such as "childhood friends" and "several years earlier" or sumsuch :)
IMHO this show just got better and better as it went on,pretty much dropping a lot of characters from the 1st season (Pidgeon sisters,most of the poker group,not including Murray etc.)
And losing that (to me) claustrophobic feel the first apartment had (you rarely ever see the living room windows-or any!)off the top of my head the only episode I remember seeing th LR windows was "Scrooge gets an Oscar"
Please feel free to correct me,the baby bird episode might have shown a window or two.I think.

And,Gloria was HOT! :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

One of the things I really liked about the first season were the poker pals. In general I think the first season is underrated, and there are a lot of laughs throughout. Still, things do get even better later.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Can someone please check the episode where John Astin guest stars as a "Hugh Hefner" type that offers Oscar a job in his company. As I remember this episode whenever it aired on WPIX in NYC, it never had the laugh track. I'm wondering if the DVD version has one.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Can someone name this particular episode for me. I remember if vaguely, but wasn't sure it was actually related to Halloween specifically. I thought it was just a costume party.

Gary "I want to know about this episode, since I keep track of all 'holiday themed' episodes from classic television shows" O.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

It's called "Trapped". I don't think it's a "Halloween" episode though. But it's the closest thing you've got if you want to have one episode for that holiday. Also in the show, the kid Philip is experimenting with chemicals and tries to beome a "Mr. Hyde", so that works.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

There's one episode on the set that gives you the option of watching it with NO laugh track, or with one. It might be this episode, I forget. Garry Marshall says at the intro that there was a mistake or something when it was originally aired, so that was why there wasn't a laugh track.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
A poster on the DVD Talk forum said some of the episodes have out of synch audio. Has anyone here noticed this or does this fellow have a bad copy?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
There were a few (very rare) instances here and there, where I thought I experienced the same thing. I was watching these moments with a friend and when I asked him if he noticed anything, he said he didn't see it. I tend to tune into that sort of "out of synch" thing more than most. I'm not referring to outside scenes that were post-dubbed, by the way, I'm talking about some brief sequences actually inside.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I really can't recall at the moment - that's how fleeting and generally unintrusive they were. It's been some time already since I watched them so I can't actually remember when they occurred. And I consider this a good thing. :)

Alfred Bellows

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
I too have noticed out-of-sync audio in a few spots. Minor but noticeable. I just finished disc 1 and started disc 2. When I get some exact spots, I will post again.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, after my cancellation/CC fiasco my sister ordered this for me for my b'day! Supposedly on way.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks