What's new

The O.C. Season 1 News (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Did they gave a reason why 4:3 is the preferred ratio? I'll probably get the box set regardless, but this really kills a lot of the excitement. I have every episode from the first season in 16:9, and it'll almost seem like I'm downgrading when I get the DVDs.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
No reason was given, sorry.

I've already called someone at WB and asked about the aspect ratio, so I'm sure they'll look into it and possibly back to me, but it sounds like they are justified in releasing this in 1.33:1.

Gord

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
well maybe using the word "suck" is to harsh on my part what i meant by that basically is the show is very contrived, seriously bad dialogue, situations you can guess miles away. not to mention a bunch of rich white folk most of us can't relate to for the most part, perhaps ryan is a character alot can relate with, but like i said in my previous post I Love the Show.. not since 90210 have i enjoyed a show that was this ridiculous. :)

I am rather sad to hear this my be full screen only though as when i watched it on tv it was widescreen. I will probably buy it regardless though.

Kyle**S

Stunt Coordinator
Bad dialogue? The dialogue's brilliant! It's the best reason to watch the show. I agree about the contrived plots, though.

john_hood

Grip
In the UK (where I live) Channel Four broadcasts The OC in 4:3 and it wasn't until I read this thread that I learnt the series supports 16:9!

It'll be interesting to see whether or not the R2 release of The OC S1 is 4:3 or 16:9 - Buffy from S4 onwards is 16:9, but I understand that the R1 releases are 4:3, which is somewhat surprising!

Does anyone know if the audio is 5.1 or Dolby Pro-Logic Surround?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Generally speaking, Fox U.K. will use widescreen if it's available and Fox U.S. will use whatever the creators want. I'm not sure how Warner handles things.

john_hood

Grip
Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it I now recall that Fox US had issued a statement concerning Buffy in 16:9, and that it was never the creators intention to have the series shown in widescreen!!!

As you said, how Warner Bros approaches markets outside the US will determine whether or not The OC S1 receives the 16:9 treatment on DVD. Incidentally, a few years ago Columbia TriStar released the Best of DC S1 and the four episodes were 16:9!

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

All bets are off with WB. They released The West Wing Season 2 in its OAR which is 4:3 over in the UK. When it came time to release it in the US, they went 16:9. I wouldn't be surprised if The O.C Season 1 never got a 16:9 release anywhere. :angry:

john_hood

Grip
According to various online sources The OC S1 will debut on October 18th in the UK, which is a week ahead of the US! I can only hope, 16:9/4:3 debate aside, that the extras are as near identical as possible - allowing for licensing issues (if applicable).

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Once again we have the "producers," or so Warner claims, telling us more AR lies.

No Sale for this Everwood, West Wing, Kung Fu, and all the other non OAR releases from Season 1 to their end. It's time for TVSHOWSONDVD to look into who these "sources" are because they're wrong >50% of the time.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Joseph, you must have missed my post above where I stated that I called the production office and they said 1.33:1.

Gord

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Many shows that are aired 16:9 HD look much better in 4:3. I haven't seen The O.C. in HD as my local Fox affiliate doesn't broadcast HD, but examples include Buffy and Joan of Arcadia.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I'll buy it anyway but I'm very disappointed it won't be widescreen, and I was hoping for more extras as well. Only one commentary? No cast commentaries? No gag reel? Dang.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Well, easter eggs were mentioned over at TVShowsOnDVD, so I don't think gag reels are totally out of the picture. I hear some of the cast can get absolutlely hysterical on the set, and Adam Brody is well-known for ad-libbing on the set.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I would rather wait an extra month or two so they could do commentaries and insert the gag reel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks