1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review The Nun - UHD Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Sam Posten, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Malcolm R likes this.
  2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Haven't yet seen The Nun, but I love the other films in this franchise. They're a lot of fun if you like this sort of film, and they're very well made. Feel free to skip the first Annabelle film (it's OK, but probably the weakest of the franchise), but the sequel is very good as are the two Conjuring films.

I believe Annabelle 3 is out next summer. There was some discussion about making a film of The Crooked Man (another character in Conjuring 2), but haven't heard much more about that idea.

Sam Posten likes this.
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Thanks for the review, Sam. I saw this at the drive-in, and there were many times when you couldn't tell what the hell was going on because the picture was just so dark. Nice to read that the UHD disc is up the challenge.

I would rank this one as the fourth worst in the franchise, ahead of only the first Annabelle. Both of the main Conjuring films and Annabelle: Creation are great atmospheric horror films. So the best is still ahead of you.

I loved the pairing of Father Burke and Sister Irene as the Vatican's version of Mulder and Scully, and I would love follow-up adventures with them in this sub-franchise. I just hope they come up with better stories.

Sam Posten and Tino like this.
  4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yes that seems to be the case based on the reading I did in prepping for this review. I have no idea who the crooked man is at this point =)

I agree, and I guess there is some need to explain the relationship between Irene and the family from the conjuring too. Mother?

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

My theory from The Nun thread:
    Taissa Farmiga is playing a younger version of her older sister's character in the main films, Lorraine Warren.

In 1952, Warren would have been 25 -- right around the around the age of the novitiate in The Nun. The novitiate is clairvoyant, like Warren.

If they have gone this route, it would be a substantial departure from the real Warren's life. But given that the real Warrens had their daughter Judy right around the end of World War II, which would have put her in her mid-twenties when the original Conjuring was set, there's room for divergence.

Sam Posten likes this.
  6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    More likely
    a sibling