The (not at all) Bash-Leonardo DiCaprio Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vickie_M, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Leonardo DiCaprio has 2 high-profile films coming out in the next few weeks, Martin Scorcese's Gangs of New York and Steven Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can.
    While I firmly believe that the intelligence level of Home Theater Forum members is higher than average, there have been spates of Leo-bashing here and there, usually apropos of nothing in particular, simply because his name came up.
    I would DEARLY love to read reviews and discussion about these two movies without getting sidetracked by anti-Leo diatribes or oh-so-clever-and-cutting remarks and heated reactions to them.
    Rather than endlessly telling people (politely, of course) that they really don't know what they're talking about, it'd be so great to just point them toward their very own thread. Or at least, politely telling them that it's off-topic, they don't know what they're talking about, THEN pointing them toward their own thread.
    This could be moved to After Hours, I suppose.
    (Pardons to the mods, but this is a reaction to my fear of the expected bashing to come. It's going to happen. Everybody and their pet cat knows it's going to happen. Some people just have an irrational hatred of Mr. DiCaprio. Two movies coming out at once means twice the publicity and therefore twice the hatred. I can see the steam and resentment building in some people now. We can't stop it, but I'd like for something to be done in advance.)

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

He suffers from the "pretty boy syndrome", a la Brad Pitt. Good actors who get bashed bacause of their looks, mostly by short fat and ugly people [​IMG]
    He was impressive in Titanic (yes, Titanic) and the Man in the Iron Mask, a very underrated movie IMO.
    --
    Holadem

3. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

It's been a long time since I've seen it but I thought he did a very good job in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape." The other movies I've seen him in have been alright, nothing too spectacular.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

i see no reason to bash anyone except for their acting abilities and actions outside of their profession, i.e. michael jackson, russell crowe, jake lloyd, etc. leo hasn't done anything wrong as far as i'm concerned, he just starred in a huge chick flick.

5. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

6. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Leo definitely deserved an oscar for playing Arnie in 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape'. I think Leo's good in every movie he's a part of, even if the movie itself is total trash.

7. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino

8. Ray Suarez

Ray Suarez Stunt Coordinator

I plan to see both. I've been looking forward to these films because the directors involved are two of my favorites. In addition to Leo, these films have a tremendous amount of star power, ie Tom Hanks, Christoper Walken and Jennifer Garner (CMIYC) as well as Daniel Day Lewis, Cameron Diaz and Jim Broadbent (GoNY).

As far as the Leo bashing, I don't get it. Of the movies I have seen I thought he was excellent in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and This Boy's Life. He was very good in Titanic and The Quick and the Dead and miscast but gave a good effort in The Basketball Diaries.

I hope people can see beyond the "Leo Mania" and evaluate/enjoy these highly anticipated movies on their own merits or lack thereof.

Ray

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Several of my friends have referred to Titanic as a "Chick Flick" too. A very good chick flick, I might add.

In other words, even my friends, who considered it mostly a chick flick, still liked it.

I think Leonardo is a fine actor, although not one of my favorites. I certainly never feel any need to "bash" him.

11. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Based on the trailers for 'Gangs,' Scorsese seems to have beaten most of the "pretty" out of him. Him and Day-Lewis both. I'm sure every girl/woman who ever though DiCaprio (or Daniel Day-Lewis) was "dreamy" won't want to take him home after seeing that, unless it's to get him to take a bath. [​IMG]

12. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

I don't think there has been much Leo-bashing since he was cast in these two important movies.. I think the majority of that was during the Titanic period, where teenage girls saw it multiple times because of Leo's performance.

13. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I saw Titanic multiple times...several times alone. And I was a 23 year old male [​IMG]
    I have defended Leo (which is VERY easy thanks to his performances and professional maturity) quite a few times here. And Titanic is easy as well.
    Lots of chick movies in the top twenty grossing films of all time, right? No...all adventure/action/Star Wars type films. Summer blockbusters. I guess Titanic drew A LOT MORE VIEWERS than your average chick flick [​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck

14. Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn Stunt Coordinator

I've never understood what makes it (Titanic) a "chick flick". I guess my definition of a chick flick is different. For me it depends on who's perspective the story is being told. Of course this usually means a romantic film or part of a film, as in the case of Titanic. Now "While You Were Sleeping" for me is a bone fide "chick flick" because the whole film is about her going googoo over this guy. But the romance between Jack and Rose in Titanic is told from both perspectives. I thought Cameron did a good job in not overplaying the romance too much. In fact most of the relationship is centered on Jack trying to convince Rose to break free from her doomed marriage. I guess most guys will see any kind of romance as a no-go area (Pearl Harbour another prime example).
    As for the pretty boy thing. I always used to get accused of that when I refused to watch anything with Tom Cruise in it. But I would answer 'if I hate TC because he's so good looking then how come I like Brad Pitt, Sean Connery, etc etc". I always found Tom a bit of a poser. The way he always had his hair perfect and the five o'clock shadow when necessary and those shades in Top Gun...jeez give me a break!!. But I'm pretty much OK with him now. He has matured a lot (2 failed marriages will do that to you I guess). I've always admired Brad especially after Se7en.
    Leo is a very good actor. He has been good in all the films I've seen him in (What's Eating Gilbert Grape/The Beach/Quick & The Dead/This Boy's Life) If I had been able to stomach more than 10 minutes of that Baz Luhrman travesty "Romeo & Juliet" I might of enjoyed his performance in that too.

15. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I thought he did a very good job in THE BEACH. In fact, when there was still rumor of his playing Anakin in AOTC, I thought his performance in the second half of THE BEACH, when he's kicked out of the community, would have really been a great 'darkness' to fortell Anakin's future.

16. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

BTW, if you are interested in Leo, check out the cover story about him in last Sunday's NY Times Magazine.
    FWIW, I think he is an excellent actor. On the other hand Titanic is a total chick flick. A very good one, yes. But a chick flick through and through.
    Ted

17. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I have never understood the Leo-bashing either. He is an obvious talent. Like Holadem said, much like Brad Pitt gets bashed because he is good looking. Because of this, both of them are bit underrated as actors. I truly think Mr. Pitt has quelled this a bit by taking some more difficult roles. As for Mr. DiCaprio, he is one of the finer younger actors of today and really commands the screen. I'm looking forward to Catch Me if You Can. I'm with the camp that's a bit suspect of Gangs of New York

18. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

There are those who would say that DiCaprio's main fans are teenage girls as if it is some kind of a putdown. Hmmm, I seem to remember a certain British rock group whose initial main fans were also teenage girls before they went on to bigger and better things.

Anyway, DiCaprio’s resume seems to get even more meattier and longer. Here’s the latest from Variety:

19. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Here's what Spielberg and Scorsese have to say about DiCaprio, from USA Today:

20. Dahna

Dahna Auditioning

I'm also really looking forward to these films. What an incredible ensemble in both!! Top notch actors and directors, what a treat!!! And DDLewis hasn't been on the radar in a while - a big loss for film, INNHO! And...even though he was ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS in Last of the Mohicans, I didn't find him so in any other film, even though they are among my favorites - The Name of the Father, The Boxer, MY LEFT FOOT!!

Leo is good too. I LOVED Titanic and now I hate to admit it seeing all the bad press it gets. Give it to Ya Ya and leave Titanic alone! LOL!!!