The "nooooooooooo!" Take-A-Bullet Cliche

Discussion in 'Movies' started by MichaelBA, Jan 9, 2006.

1. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Toward the end of the film MRS. BROWN [1997], Billy Connelly as John Brown, servant to Judi Dench as Queen Victoria, runs out in slo-mo over a good stretch to stop a would-be assassin, all the while shouting, again in slo-mo, "nooooooooooooooooooooo!"

How often has this cheesy cliche been used?

I picked a rather obscure example, I think, but that shows how pervasive it is. Is it? To what extent?

2. Haggai

Haggai Producer

LOL...yeah, I think it qualifies as a cliche. I only saw this movie once, but wasn't it also in Legends of the Fall, when Brad Pitt is trying to protect someone right at the end? Either his daughter, or his dad, I think.

3. David Gotwals

David Gotwals Auditioning

What always got us about this scenario, is that the hero takes a bullet, and falls to the ground, possibly dead now. What is stopping the shooter from firing again? Better to save yourself, and find another girl to fall in love with! [​IMG]

4. Don Solosan

Don Solosan Supporting Actor

Clint Eastwood in In The Line Of Fire. Only he isn't yelling "Nooo!" Booth only has one more bullet in his gun, so he can't just start spraying the tangle of bodies around the Prez, hoping for a hit.

5. Nathan Phillips

Nathan Phillips Stunt Coordinator

The worst "nooooo!" ever is in Dead Poets Society. I loved the movie as a teenager; seeing it again on TV not long ago I cringed.

6. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I think Darth Vader's version of "nooooo!" in Episode III takes the cake.

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I think the best implementation of the "nooooo" take a bullet cliche is in John Woo's "A Better Tomorrow".

(In chinese) "NOooooooooo!" -> Bullet. Make that several hundred rounds of bullets! [​IMG]

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Vader's "Noooooo!!!!!" get's a bad rep, it isn't that bad upon subsequent viewings.

Eastwood jumping to save the prez in In the Line of Fire serves as a plotpoint, a character arch for Frank, succeeding where he failed in the Kennedy shooting, so in that case it worked perfectly.

9. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Isn't that is every other Van Dam movie?