What's new

The Ninth Configuration DVD ..Reviews? (1 Viewer)

GregK

Screenwriter
After Region 2 having the "DVD exclusive" on this title for some time, on Sept. 3rd Sept. 17th(?), Region 1 *finally* gets a crack at this cult classic!
Commentary by William Peter Blatty and Author/Documentary Filmmaker Mark
Kermode
Additional Scenes
Featurette
2 Alternate Endings
Cast/Filmmaker Highlights
Widescreen 2.35:1 (Anamorphic)
Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround (??)
Sooooo.. Reviews anyone???? :confused: ..Anyone??

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I had this pre-ordered and received a notice that it has been delayed until 9/17. That might have something to do with the lack of reviews. It's also not a high-profile release so that's another strike against it. Oh well, I've been waiting on this for years, what's another two weeks?

Edit: I'm glad to see they're releasing The Ninth Configuration in its OAR of 2.35:1 as my widescreen VHS is cropped to 2:1.

GregK

Screenwriter
Thanks Steve, I didn't realize there had been a delay on this title. I'm also looking forward to seeing this in 2.35:1, as my old beta version is pan-n-scan only. I've read that the original release was in 6-track stereo, but the releases I've heard up to now are in mono. Has anyone, (even on VHS) ever heard this title in stereo or surround?

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Are you saying that the features listed will be on the US release? I was under the impression that the import was a SE but that we were getting the movie only. If these are the specs for the US disc then I'll begin drooling now!

GregK

Screenwriter
Hi Rob,

My info is compiled from a hodge-podge of sources, including DVDfile, Widescreen Review, and Amazon.com. Note that Amazon is showing the aspect ratio as 1.85:1, but given their track record, I am assuming that's an error on Amazon's part.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Warner's Business to Business website confirms the list of features above, although they do say the sound is mono and not stereo. I can't wait for this disc!

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I can't wait for this DVD. I have the subpar pan and scan Laserdisc that I bought in the mid 80's so this release can't help being a big upgrade. Stacy Keach and the rest of the cast were outstanding. I have often wondered were they filmed this great movie.

GregK

Screenwriter
On the topic of if this DVD will be mono or stereo, I would be curious to know if the Region 2 SE DVD is mono, stereo, or DD 4.1. This would probably be a good indicator for R1.
For those wanting to see a nice pic of the Region 1 DVD:

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
This has always been one my favorite films. It's so nice to hear of others mention it. I will be sure to come back and post my review if there isn't a review thread.
I can't wait to hear what others have to say of this film, very overlooked.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The transfer for the region-free British edition was... it was okay, I guess. It coulda been better. To me, it looked like an old, badly cropped 2.33:1 transfer. It didn't look like a 'new' tranfer - Laserdisc video-master, perhaps? The lack of anamorphic encoding also indicates hurried work. It's still the best the film has ever looked on video.
I wonder if Warner created a new transfer for this anamorphic edition? I hope so. On the commentary, Blatty states that he wants to re-cut (again?!) the film to a longer length, so...! :frowning: Who knows what to think...
The deleted scenes looked horrid.
The featurette and commentary are superb.
I look forward to reading a review of this DVD.
Gordy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
To Jon Smith:

I doubt that Warner would put out a non-anamorphic 2.35:1 DVD after their years of putting out hundreds of anamorphic 2.35 transfered DVDs. But I could be wrong...

We'll just have to wait and see...

Gordy

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
oops i think i worded that wrong, wasnt saying the R1 release is not likely to be anamorphic. :b
was just comparing them :)

GregK

Screenwriter
So here we are at Sept. 17th, and still no release? Today I checked out Best Buy, Circuit City and Borders Book Store, and all three confirm the Sept. 17th release date, but no discs have been made available to anyone locally at this time. And still ..no on line reviews that I can find!
Hmmm, hmmm, hmmmm.......

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Same here in New Jersey - no copies at Best Buy, Borders, or Compact Disc World. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :angry:
Warner's business site still lists it as coming out on the 17th!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have the R1 disc and can confirm that it is NOT anamorphic, even though the box says otherwise. Sounds like they just recycled the region 2 transfer.
Haven't had time to watch it yet.
M.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Also it has no close captioning or english subtitles even though the back of the box says that it does :frowning:. I think it also says it has Spanish subs, but it has no subs at ALL!! Needs to be recalled and fixed if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks