What's new

The Nintendo "MEGATON" Announcement (1 Viewer)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
In recent weeks, I've gone through several video game web sites/forums and have seen massive discussions and speculation on the rumored Nintendo "Megaton" Announcement. The hype grew so large that rumors surrounding what it could be rivaled the second coming of Christ or some other Godly figure.
I think N-Sider describes it better than I can:
Rumour: Nintendo buy Sega and Capcom*
Dec 14th 2002 00:56 by Conor
Could it be? We have received a tip that come Tuesday we`ll all know Nintendos 'mega' announcement, and it is certainly mega.
There is a rumour that Nintendos big announcement will be revealed on this Tuesday and what will it be? Apparently, Nintendo want to take the Triforce collaborations further down the line, by actually buying out Namco and Sega. But Namco backed out, feeling too much creative control would be taken down to Kyoto so Nintendo opted to go for Capcom. The deal should either be done or almost completed, this would give Nintendo a larger creative base to fight Sony and Microsoft.
Now I must stress to you that this is just a rumour but on a personal note, I have a gut feeling that there is at least a little truth in this. Capcom have shown a lot of enthuasism for Gamecube recently, haven`t they though? Still, it`s a just a rumour, but we are checking this out. So if it turns out that it is true, just remember who told you first.
(Thanks to Martin for the tip)
UPDATED Our source (who wishes to remain anonymous) has added that Capcom will become a first-party whereas Sega will merge with Nintendo, not bought as we originally reported. And Nintendo have stepped up security because of this leak so we won`t be able to get anymore information until the announcement on Tuesday.
I guess we will see on Tuesday.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
The Xbox fanboys have even created thier own anti-megaton phrase called the (wait for it) "Amazatron". The PS2 loyalists have created the "Ohmigodatron".
That's hilarious! :D
My favorite so far has been N-Sider's:
Miyamoto's Extraordinary Game: Apply Tinfoil On Nipple
EDIT: I have no idea how this happened, but this post should be after Romier's. :confused:

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
http://wbby.home.mindspring.com/z_screen007.jpe
No offense intended towards you at all Cameron, I know your just relaying info my man (and I can see you are also feeling the wear down of the Megaton:D)and believe me this is directed squarely at Nintendo and the rumor mills (in full churn mode) but if any of this stuff is true then..just get it announced already! The word "Megaton" has caused my ears to bleed profusely from hearing it so much over the past 2-3 months.
Its amazing! The Xbox fanboys have even created thier own anti-megaton phrase called the (wait for it) "Amazatron". The PS2 loyalists have created the "Ohmigodatron". (ok that last one is kind of funny;)).
Who knows what will happen on Tuesday.....but just get here so it can end already.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
While the "Amazatron" and "Ohmigoditron" names are funny, they do lack the history to them. The Megaton name comes from the Megaton Hammer from the Zelda series, so the aforementioned parody names aren't as funny. If they were parodizing the Megaton name while at the same time using a name that is often used in a series exclusive to that console, then it would be REALLY funny.

I wonder if this announcement will have anything to do with the Zelda series. Maybe Nintendo is releasing a Zelda Compilation disc some time soon (or including it with GameCubes).

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm so would this mean all SF, Marvel and other fighters would be Gamecube only? That would be werid.
(I know I shouldn't say this already but had to) :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I don't know which I'm looking forward to more : the potential contents of the announcement, or an end to the speculation.

Today and tomorrow are do-or-die days for this announcement. The claim is that the announcement is coming now, so if it doesn't, I'm done with Megaton.

I hope it's worth the hype.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the title was a typo, and it's supposed to be a megatRon announcement, meaning that on Jaunary 1, 2003, all of the unsold gamecubes in the world will transform into robots, congregate in tokyo, and then merge into one giant decepticon to conquer the world. The only way to stop it is to buy as many gamecube systems as you can before then.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Thanks Josh! I searched Penny Arcade the other day for Megaton comics, but found none.
I also think Chris' theory is the one most likely to come true. It's obvious if you really think about it. :crazy:
The hardcore no-doubt reverberate with anticipation for Nintendo's "Megaton" announcement, a revelation so grand in scope that to know it would unravel your mind and leave you a gibbering idiot. If you were already a gibbering idiot, and I'm not saying you are but I just have a feeling about these things, it might make you gibber more, I don't know.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the title was a typo, and it's supposed to be a megatRon announcement, meaning that on Jaunary 1, 2003, all of the unsold gamecubes in the world will transform into robots, congregate in tokyo, and then merge into one giant decepticon to conquer the world. The only way to stop it is to buy as many gamecube systems as you can before then.
Dude, that was hilarious, I almost laughed out loud at work! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You know, Pokemon Online would sell a LOT of consoles, but I think they'll bring something bigger to the table. Maybe they'll announce a crapload of online games (they do have them in the works).

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Desperate to shed their image as a kiddie system, Nintendo tomorrow will announce the first console video-games produced by Vivid Entertainment. Nintendo's new slogan will be "This isn't your little brother's Nintendo" :D

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
This is taken from the article posted by Jean-Michel:

Officials at both Nintendo and Capcom, of Osaka, Japan, declined comment.
I'm reminded of the reports just before Rare left Nintendo. No one denied the rumor from Nintendo, Rare, or Microsoft, and that was the only thing that gave any credence at all to those rumors for me. Now we're seeing the same thing here. Either party could easily deny the rumors, yet they simply refuse to comment. Could it be that there is some truth to this story? Until they officially say no or the announcement turns out to be something different, I will continue to see the Capcom buyout as a possibility.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Don't forget Jeffrey that everyone's trading price is probably seeing a nice surge from these rumors. Therefore, why deny the rumors when it increases your value temporarily?

I'm sure we'll find out what's going on this week...hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I agree that all of the rumors are becoming tiresome.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I wonder what that will mean for the Steel batallion games for XBOX and the future of the controller.
HEY I got money tied up in this! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks