1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

THE NINA FOCH PROJECT

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles H, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

This may be a bit out of the loop of Movies and Television, but I strongly recommend it. Bankrolled by George Lucas, THE NINA FOCH COURSE FOR FILMMAKERS AND ACTORS is a three hour, two disc dvd culled from 200 hours of footage from Nina Foch's legendary courses at the USC school of Cinematic Arts. This goes far beyond "show business," and it certainly transcends what you might expect from the description of it that you'll find at www.ninafochproject.com but this is as compelling a seminar on psychology, art, writing. education, courtroom, negotiation, workplace, body language, and common sense as you'll ever find. If I have one regret, the movies never tapped into Ms. Foch's real talents. Her signature role is perhaps MY NAME IS JULIA ROSS,but except for her penultimate tv appearances as Ducky's mother on two episodes of NCIS and a 1963 "The Virginian," her genuinely wicked comedy abilities have never been displayed until here. I highly recommend this (and there is a wealth of anecdotal material in the course).

Apparently,the California Institute of the Arts assembled six hours of footage from Director Alexander MacKendrick's courses. It would be great to have this assembled on dvd--you can get a good idea of what it must have been like from James Mangold's interviews on the R2 dvd of SAMMY GOING SOUTH and the second disc of Criterion's THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS.

2. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

In the meantime, at least we have an older-"technology' legacy from MacKendrick: his book - which now appears to be available only in paperback. I feel fortunate to own the hardback.

http://www.amazon.com/Film-making-Introduction-Craft-Director/dp/0571211259/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1303857368&sr=1-1