What's new

The Nikon D4 owners thread =) (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I used to shoot almost exclusively in Av mode. Lately I've been trying to shoot predominantly in Manual, mostly so I am forced to think more intentionally about my exposure. I've found this has helped me when I do use the Av or Tv modes, as I do what Scott describes with the exposure compensation adjustment.

I think the critical thing is not the mode you are shooting in, but knowing what the camera meter will do (or will try to do) in various situations and compensating (or not) accordingly. Whether you respond to that by staying in one of the auto modes and adjusting the compensation setting or switching to manual comes down to personal preference. For me, working in manual just makes the settings more obvious, as very often I've overlooked the exposure compensation indicator or forgotten I've made an adjustment.

There are certain things I like to shoot that pretty much mean shooting in manual 100% of the time. Concert photography is one and the other is when I am working exclusively with on-camera flash as my light source.

On my recent vacation, I learned there were times I could have stood to let the camera do a little more of the heavy lifting, rather than me fumbling with the dials in Manual mode. Basically those times when the lighting is not especially complicated and not likely to fool the meter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cameron Yee said:
For me, working in manual just makes the settings more obvious, as very often I've overlooked the exposure compensation indicator or forgotten I've made an adjustment.
That is a good point, Cameron. I will occasionally forget to return the EC setting to zero, which can mess up subsequent photos if I do not notice it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's mainly because when I shoot cosplay, and I'm roaming around hallways, open spaces, cramped spaces, so lighting conditions are always changing, and I'm always trusting the camera's metering as a starting point (some costume materials meter differently than normal clothing, etc), but then having to blend in some fill-in flash to keep the subject's face from succumbing to deep shadow sockets, or over-exposed flash shots. It's like someone gives you 10 seconds to get the shot, and then they move on. I'm sort of useless in non-frenetic spaces. :D
And now, I've learned that if I do shoot a bunch of shoot under the same lighting conditions, I try to keep the settings the same so my lightroom workflow is simpler from photo to photo (fix one photo, and pass on those settings to the rest, and then salt to taste afterwards).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I am sooooo far behind in editing I may never catch up now. I've had to resort to just cropping and posting my annual Zombie Walk photos since I won't be able to do solid edits till next week =(
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/sets/72157631717818768/with/8065660363/

12-ZombieWalk-6598-2 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-ZombieWalk-6548 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-ZombieWalk-6557 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-ZombieWalk-6601 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-ZombieWalk-6606 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-ZombieWalk-6611-2 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-ZombieWalk-6630 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-ZombieWalk-6665 by Kadath, on Flickr

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sometimes, less detail (and "reality") is a good thing -- leaves more room for the imagination... haha...

Originally Posted by poinvicoo /t/317481/the-nikon-d4-owners-thread/60#post_3960138
Last month, i bought nikon d3100 camera and with a cool [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]nikon d3100 case[/COLOR].
What about nikon d4? i think i can know more from here.

IF you're serious about upgrading, maybe check out the new D600? I'm sorta starting to have that upgrade itch again (though I'm sorta satisfying it w/ my daughter's D5100 for the moment

OTOH, maybe you should get some better glass first, if you've only had a D3100 for such short time (and probably haven't gotten to better glass yet)...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Man, that is exactly what I'm talking about in color correction phase I intend. Making things appear more gritty by crushing blacks will be a part of that,
Scott, I got that you were joking but my reply made it seem like I did not. That was actually a kinda off tangent post. Sorry!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Neat! My tank photo made the "year in review" front page of the local mini paper! https://twitter.com/Navesink/status/287249785742839808/photo/1

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You got the composition and timing down on that shot -- not much you can do about the mid-day lighting, as I doubt they would hold off the demonstration for you waiting for better light. ;)

It's better than what I could capture last summer on Mackinac Island. I was sitting in the wrong spot, with not enough focal length.

451A3246-L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks