What's new

The Nightmare Before Christmas! (1 Viewer)

Andre F

Screenwriter
I just popped this disk in again in last night (we watch every year after Thanksgiving...) and could not believe how it was. I know it's old but such a great movie!

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
My favourite animated movie! Great DVD also. I recommend a blind purchase to anyone that stumbles into this thread that hasn't seen the movie. IMO, this is Tim Burton's greatest creation!

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
No argument from me, I love it as well. Very cool and chock full of wit and wisdom. I would love it if one of the networks would run this as a Thanksgiving tradition.

Bruce

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
Excllent DVD. I am so dedicated that I actually own both versions of the movie (The original and the SE). This movie is so original and the animation is astounding being that very little to no computers are involved with the movie. The characters sing..yes, but the tunes are excellent and catchy. You simply cannot get those tunes out of your head for atleast 100 days after watching this movie. I recommend getting the SE (I don't think the original version is available anyways though). The SE contains tons of bonus material and a dts soundtrack. My favorite Tim Burton Movie along with the first two Batman movies. I still wished that it was enhanced for WS though.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The R2 version is enhanced for widescreen televisions, but, alas, at the expense of the DTS track. It's swings and roundabouts really - I went for the R2 purely on price issues.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Absolutely one of the most unique, fascinating and creative movies ever, excellent film. One of my very top-picks.
On a side note, I went over to Disneyland today and for the second year, they have done a top-notch job at re-vamping the Haunted Mansion ride with the Nightmare theme. A great ride experience for any fan of this movie...and of course, while there, I had to pick myself up a JACK WATCH.
I am a huge fan of this movie and most of Tim Burton's work.
Peace Out~:D

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, I just rented the R2/R4 special edition, for the first time, and was just watching in the DVD ROM!! Very nice. Will buy!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This is a very enjoyable film and DVD. Not exactly geared to the little ones but that's just as well.

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe not your little ones, but my 4 year old has watched it 5 times since I introduced it to her on Thanksgiving this year. She choose the film herself upon seeing the Halloween theme on the cover art.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Just a gentle reminder here that while the story came from Tim Burton, the movie was directed by Henry Selick. He also directed James and the Giant Peach (which I haven't seen) and Monkeybone (which I have seen and, unlike 99.9% of the moviegoing public, actually liked, as did my husband). His next project is the (animated, I assume) Coraline. From IMDB: "Based on Neil Gaiman's short children's novel of the same name, Coraline is a young bored girl who discovers that bricked-up wall behind a door in her flat leads to another world, with another mother, and another father." Sounds good!
I heartily agree with all the praise for The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
fyi - i picked this up a few weeks ago at best buy for 15 bucks. definitely a good deal.

this is hands-down one of the best in stop-motion animation. a great story to boot.

Travis D

Second Unit
Thank you Vicki for giving Selick some credit. Burton himself would have directed the movie, but he was doing Batman Returns instead I beleive. I will say this though, I can't imagine it being much different from the film as it is now. Selick and Burton were operating on the same wavelength or something, because I, like the rest of the movie-going populace, thought that Tim himself had directed the film until I researched the film a little. That says miles about Selick in my opinion.

Anyway, I don't know if TNBC is a Halloween film, a Christmas film, or perhaps a Thanksgiving film because it's in between. I'm leaning towards Christmas however. They should play this movie after the Rudolph special and before the Santa Claus one. It would be right at home with it's stop-motion brethren.

And another thing, what happened to stop-motion? TNBC shows just how wonderful this art form can be. To just give up on it like everyone seems to have is a damn travesty! Then again, how often does something like TNBC come along that tailormade for stop-motion. Oh well.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Just a gentle reminder here that while the story came from Tim Burton, the movie was directed by Henry Selick.
Yes, but the film is Tim Burton's vision. They are his characters, and his story. The technical orchestration, coming from Selick, superb as it is, would be nothing without Burton's genius behind it IMO.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Jussi look here
I would just like to add that the official clock hanging over the entrance to my HT is a Nightmare Before Xmas clock. Hellava film. A real gem.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Old?! I guess that makes Citizen Kane prehistoric.
Good lord! I guess it was a bad choice of words. I just meant it's not a new release. Hoping to let someone know that if they have not seen it yet, just don't look in the new release section for it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks