What's new

The Nightmare Before Christmas - BD - Fall '08 (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely purchase The Nightmare Before Christmas on Blu-ray Disc; however I will be cautiously optimistic until further notice, as I am still waiting for my Sin City BD. :crazy:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, Sin City was merely pictured in a generic Blu-ray ad along with 6-7 other titles. From what I can tell this is a full trailer just for Nightmare, similar to the Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio trailers.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sweet! I hear the Corpse Bride BD was really spectacular. Hopefully this one (a much better movie) will be too.

Wasn't the special edition DVD release anamorphic?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

That certainly bodes well.

It occurred to me that if The Nightmare Before Christmas sees a fall release, then we probably won't see a release of Sweeney Todd on BD before then either. I know how these studios love their 'synergy'. Perhaps we might even get Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on BD at the time as well. One can hope anyway...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

For the same reason, but perhaps not to the same degree, that Fox would release Batman: The Movie based The Dark Knight's release. Namely, to leverage another studio's advertising.

Besides given that Paramount/Dreamworks could not make a day-and-date BD release for Sweeney Todd, waiting until the fall makes sense not only to market the film as a horror title, but to position it in front of more buyer's as the result of the holiday season.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Sadly, no. They used the same non-anamorphic transfer from the previous edition, but included some new extras.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

It would be sweet if any film presented in 3-D at a movie theatre would be released in 3-D on BD.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
This is cool news! Am really looking forward to THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Can't have too much Tim Burton on Blu-ray. SWEENEY TODD will be cool when Paramount/Dreamworks firm up their Blu-ray plans. Warner needs to get on MARS ATTACKS!, BEETLEJUICE, BATMAN, BATMAN RETURNS and CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY for Blu-ray.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit

which is too strange since one of my first DVDs I bought in 1999 was the German version of "Nightmare" which IS anamorphic.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Like Paul I'm cautiously optimistic until we get a firm date, though this one seems more solid than most "coming soon" news.

Maybe I've just become more jaded over the past 16 months though I lay the blame for that with these studio's practice of repeatedly dangling A list titles in front of our noses that never show up. Whether it be Sin City, LOA, etc on disc promo's, general media event announcements like Open range in summer 07, Finding Nemo Fall 08 (which got bounced), etc or "insider" generated rumors like Alien(s) in early 08, Das Boot in early 08, etc, etc.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I think it's safe to say that if a film is advertised as being in the works it truly is. The problem is that when the release date is over 6 months away many things can occur that delay the release, from mastering/authoring of the disc, to changed marketing plans.

So while Nightmare may not be 100% assured for this Fall, it's certainly being prepped for a release at some point.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well there's nothing there I'd disagree with and that's the reason that until there's a firm date announced I'll remain cautiously optimistic. The very real possibility that it could be bumped to 2009 or even 2010 sort of dampens my enthusiasm.

Again I'll brighten up when there's an official announcement, but I am glad to hear that it's "in the works" and "planned" for a BD release.

Roogs Benoit

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also cautiously optimistic about this release. Looking forward to an anamorphic BD with 7.1 Lossless audio.

Maybe both 3-D and 2-D versions?

We will have to wait and see.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

It was not filmed in 3-D, only converted to 3-D. I don't think you will see any films released on BD in 3-D for a long time. There are too many 3-D processes and the industry has to decide on one. Sensio has there side by side process. There's the field-sequential method. Both are fine, just decide on one of them. Please don't use the crappy anaglyph method with the dual colored glasses and crappy 3-D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks