What's new

*The Nightfly* DVD-A is amazing! Or, it's all in mastering, not the sampling rate! (1 Viewer)

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Back in the 80's we used to refer to the album as "The Nightly", because that's how often we listened to it. It was the BEST LP released in the entire decade, and the first really good sounding CD. The DVD-A blows away all other versions, vinyl included (for anyone with an under-$5000.00 turntable). :D

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
While degrading the sound quality with tape's inherent color bias and noise.
Jeff,

New analog tape techniques and materials make this degradation very minor for short time frame storage. I prefer digital but Elliott has very valid reasons for doind it this way. Chesky Records also keeps many analog tapes of its recording sessions as well, in addition to the DATs and other digital storage.

:)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Another interesting observation:

The "New Frontier" video appears to be encoded in both DD 2.0 and DD 5.1! What happened was that I played the 24/48 multi-channel track of the album and then went to the "New Frontier" video on the main menu and played it. The on-screen display on my Denon 1600 read 3/2.1 and the rears were definitely active. I then decided to listen to the 24/48 stereo track and selected "stereo tracks" on the menu. After I listened to a few, I then went to the main menu and selected the New Frontier video and it played in DD 2.0. There was zero activity from the rears. Has anyone else noticed this? It is indeed strange.

Reg

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Nothing strange about having DD2.0 and DD5.1 tracks for the video... but I wish they had a DTS track for it!

Actually, I guess I don't really care. When I close my eyes and listen to "New Frontier", the imagery in my mind is much better than the video. On the other hand, this is one of those rare DVD-As where I sometimes leave the monitor on during playback... those stillshots are excellent!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, thanks for the info. I still haven't listened to The Nightfly in multi-channel. Actually, I haven't listened to anything in multi-channel in awhile (except for movies). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks