What's new

Pre-Order The Night Stalker (1972) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
196618_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Scary scary scary1! I paid more for a pirate of the show on ebay and to the real copy I got from wallys. :( wishlisting...

uuuuuuuuhhh, wishlisted Mister Zombie's Neighborhoods too... :eek:
Mister Zombie's Neighborhood.jpg

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Great transfer but (1) the year is wrong in the booklet. It says 1974 instead of 1972 and (2) I shut the commentary off after about 10 minutes as I found it was turning into a pretentious bit of excess commentary on things that have nothing to do with why the film has always been enjoyable to me and that any production details were largely going to be cribbed from Mark Dawidziak's book which I already own.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
And what does the cover artist have against Kolchak's seersucker jacket?
Carl-Kolchak.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this today. What a glorious Blu-ray transfer! Made the movie look almost brand new. As I did with Strangler, I zoomed the picture a bit to give it more the appearance of a feature film to no ill effect. I had forgotten what a marvelous supporting cast this movie had: Ralph Meeker, Larry Linville, Kent Smith, Claude Akins, Elisha Cook, Jr.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
The TV-movie that started the Kolchak franchise, which, somehow, I'd missed all these years. Going back now, it's hard to put the series out of mind when watching this initial film (another TV movie, The Night Strangler, came before it went to series).

Happy to say, it holds up quite well. Richard Matheson's script cleverly uses Las Vegas as the backdrop for a story about Vampires - The City That Never Sleeps! Darren McGavin's Kolchak is more virile here than the fuddy duddy he played on the weekly show. He has a pretty girlfriend (Carol Lynley) - even going shirtless. He doesn't back down to the law as easily, nor to his boss (Simon Oakland). And, in the end, goes toe to toe with the title character (an imposing Barry Atwater).

Back in this era, the networks would program a good number of tele-films in 90 minute time slots, so the actual running time is 74 minutes (about 20 minutes longer than a typical episode). Here, most of that added time is given over to the Lynley scenes, as well as, perhaps one too many, press conferences.

What distinguishes this movie from the series are the fairly elaborate stunts. The hospital sequence in particular is feature film level (Producer Dan Curtis later said he wished he had released this to theaters). Without dialogue, Atwater manages to be a truly frightening beast. Some of his strengths may be a bit exaggerated, but not overly so.

The climax is suspenseful and makes a nice nod to the Hammer classic HORROR OF DRACULA. And, who wouldn't want a Kolchak vampire hunting bag??

In retrospect, it's too bad that Kolchak became a weekly show. The Monster Of The Week format got old pretty fast and even at 20 episodes they quickly started having to come up with some pretty silly creatures to face. As this and the sequel film show, a series of TV movies well spaced out would have been a better plan (something like Columbo but with even fewer episodes per season).

Attachments

• Night1.jpg
    Night1.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks