What's new

Pre-Order The Night of the Hunter (1955) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
312313_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I first watched this film on a small tube TV screen. I was on the cusp of adolescence. I was mesmerized by the poetry and visual strength of the (compromised) images. My next screening was as a young adult at the Thalia in NYC. Was it a 16 or a 35mm print? I don't know. Regardless, the film just jumped in my estimation. Mitchum, Winters, Gish, Cortez, Agee, Laughton...an amazing confluence of talents.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Special Features:
• Brand New HDR/Dolby Vision Master – 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative (4KUHD)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Novelist and Critic Tim Lucas (4KUHD)
• Isolated Music and Effects Soundtrack (4KUHD)
• LOVE AND HATE: Filmmaker Ernest Dickerson on THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (Blu-ray)
• LITTLE LAMBS: Actress Kathy Garver on THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (Blu-ray)
• HING, HANG, HUNG: Artist Joe Coleman on THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (Blu-ray)
• Theatrical Trailer (Blu-ray)
• Triple-Layered UHD100 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Is The Criterion version still in print?

The cover art for this release makes it look like it's a very strange romance film when it's far from that.

alstein

Agent
Real Name
Aron
'Tis original art from the pressbook. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048424/mediaviewer/rm930679552/
the Criterion release is still available from Criterion as well as from Amazon USA -on sale for $28.50. Typically I’ve been fairly quick to upgrade to 4K releases. In this case I’m not so sure. I found the quality of the Criterion blu ray, excellent. In addition, there are tons of extras including a not to be missed 2 and a half hour documentary titled “Charles Laughton Directs The Night Of the Hunter”. That single doc is easily worth the price of the whole shebang. If I do decide to purchase the 4K release, I will also hold on to my Criterion Blu Ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the 4K/UHD this morning. Nobody should be complaining about DNR being applied here. Plenty of grain with just a light layer of Dolby Vision. One of my five all-time favorite films that still haunts me 60 years after first watching this movie as a young boy. To this day, Robert Mitchum's singing of "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" still creeps me out. How did he not receive an Oscar nomination for one of the best performances of a villain I have ever seen in any movie? Dude got robbed!

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I watched the 4K/UHD this morning. Nobody should be complaining about DNR being applied here. Plenty of grain with just a light layer of Dolby Vision. One of my five all-time favorite films that still haunts me 60 years after first watching this movie as a young boy. To this day, Robert Mitchum's singing of "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" still creeps me out. How did he not receive an Oscar nomination for one of the best performances of a villain I have ever seen in any movie? Dude got robbed!

I think the film’s poor box office may have hurt its chances at the Oscars altogether, but I agree that Mitchum should have at least been nominated. It’s also a real shame that Laughton didn’t direct more movies after this as this film showed he had a real flair for directing.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I agree with you. There were better candidates than Ernest Borgnine winning for Best Actor - Robert Mitchum gave his finest performance as the terrifying preacher in The Night of the Hunter. In fact there were many other candidates, who were better than Ernest Borgnine: James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause and East Of Eden, for one. Henry Fonda in Mister Roberts. Also, I think The Night of the Hunter is a better film than Marty, which won the Oscar for Best Picture in 1955. It's a truly unique work. I purchase all of Kino's 4K UHD releases with confidence.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the film’s poor box office may have hurt its chances at the Oscars altogether, but I agree that Mitchum should have at least been nominated. It’s also a real shame that Laughton didn’t direct more movies after this as this film showed he had a real flair for directing.
Harry Powell is an iconic movie villain. He's not Darth Vadar, but I find him much more terrifying than the dark side of the Force.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks