What's new

The NHL will come back but will you? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm sure I will eventually go back to watching hockey, after all it is the law in Canada, but I will not be in any hurry if the parties can't get a deal done before the start of next season. The Stanley Cup should be awarded to the best team of the season, not some cobbled half season or short schedule. It is as much about endurance as it is about skill. If they can't play a whole season they might as well just hold a raffle for the cup, it is as justly earned.

The NHL should seriously consider replacement players if the union isn't going to come down from its fantasy of payrolls with no basis on revenues. We might actually get some entertaining sport. As Don Cherry has said, the NHL players would have nothing to bitch about, they are quite happily taking other people's jobs in Europe, so if the tables were turned, too bad.

I'm sure Goodenow will have some explaining to do when the next offer falls back to the $30M team cap there should be.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I love hockey so I will be back. I am certain there will be rule changes or rule enforcements. The NHL knows the game needs to be fixed. I think NBC will also apply pressure to make the games more exciting.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Hey Jeff, what makes you think that the owners will
lower the cap demand for next season? I am behind the
owners in this thing, and I think they are trying to
save the sport and keep all 30 teams in business with
the $42.5 million cap figure. I won't be behind the
owners anymore if they screw with the cap figure. I
think the owners would lose any sympathy or support
from the public if they tried this.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Jeff, the owners will lower the cap and link it to revenues because inevitably revenues will be much lower next season than had they played a shortened season this year. It will take longer to get fans back since they could not solve the problem this year.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree. I all boils down to spending money you don't have. The NHL lost a lot of revenue and credibility this year. Getting sponsorship or TV deals for next year is going to be a lot harder. A $30M cap is probably workable, 42.5 puts them back over the earnings barier again. The cap will lower, it has to, and the NHLPA has very little leverage now that the season is lost.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
The NHL has basically no national TV revenue, and the sponsorship of the league is going to take a major hit. There company will look elsewhere and then have a more difficult time coming back. The league is also gate driven, and I would expect in many markets that the crowd base will shrink.

I think the only way the 'cap' number goes up is if teams are contracted, which as far as I am concerned is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks