The NHL will come back but will you?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Grant B, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I know there is an ongoing thread about the lockout but I was curious how many people will go back right away?
    The more I read about Bettman, the more I hate that Ahole.

I am content to go see the Long Beach Ice Dogs when I am in LA; maybe I will go back to the NHL when I see Bettman playing goalie without a mask and the players firing off slapshots into his face

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I will definately come back as I am a huge hockey fan, but right now it looks as though nothing will be settled and the season will be cancelled.

3. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Until they change things so there is more interest from non-reg fans,dumping the lines and getting more scoring and the union lets in a cap as it sounds like they have,screw this season. Work things out,change some stuff and come back next year with new and inproved.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I assume "dumping the lines" means getting rid of two-line pass/offsides, like the college game. This has never been shown to increase scoring. The reason is that it all but eliminates the "pinching defenseman". Since it effectively doubles the size of the neutral zone that defensemen have to cover when they are in the offensive end, all defensemen have to play farther back to watch out for the hanging scorer and no blue-liner is going to risk coming in on a puck that is anything but a sure bet. I don't know how many college hockey games you have watched (not international, they have the larger surface), but they can be downright sleep inducing even without the red line.

The one thing I'd like to see brought back that would definitely help the flow of the game and offense is the tag up offsides. Sadly, hardly anybody makes mention of it (probably) because it is too difficult for the "non-reg" fan to follow (the same non-regular fans the NHL has been courting and not attracting for 25 years, much to the detriment of the actual fans). As a player said recently "there was nothing wrong with our game until they tried to fix it for the casual fan".

5. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    If they run with replacement players next year, I intend to get together a large group of people to go out on a Saturday night to a Leafs game to chant BULLSHIT non-stop throughout the game.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

To answer the question: Yes I will but probably only to find the Blues blowing it again in the playoffs.

7. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

^^^^LOL! Boo Blues....[​IMG]

Anyhow, I'll be back. We're too hardcore not to be back. Hopefully, they'll be offering incentives to get Joe 6pk into the arenas that will trickle down to us season ticket holders. For example, the Sharks sent out gift packs and brought their minor league team here for one game (Cleveland Barons). I missed that game but it was a good gesture to have the Barons play here and get free tickets to see them.

Yeah, I'll be a bit bitter that both sides didn't come to an agreement. It's just as well at this point in time. A 28 game season doesn't mean much, but I still want to see the game played.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It depends. If the sport is able to fix its current problems -- a competitive imbalance between the "haves" and have-nots", it's clutch & grab style of play, etc. -- I will come back.

However, if this cancellation ends up with nothing changing in the league -- just like the cancellation of the '94 World Series -- then I will be done with the sport. I walked away from major league baseball in '94 and haven't been back. My life has not been any worse as a result.

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'm a realistic fan of my team.

10. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Don't really care.

Will probably be involved in the fantasy hockey pools, but outside of that, very little interest in the whole thing.

11. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

It will take time just like it took time for me to come back to baseball after the last strike.

12. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Not unless changes are made to the current game.

The change that would have the most impact would be calling the rule book to the letter. A penalty should be called consistently regardless of what period it occurs in. An infraction in the first period is an infraction in the third and an infraction in overtime.

Other random thoughts:
    If the player does not have the puck, he cannot be interfered with. This may require the implementation of a basketball key-like zone in front of the net and slot area. Players cannot stay in one spot for more than three seconds.

Either make the rinks bigger or move to four man teams. There is simply not enough ice to support the increased player size.

No touch icing.

Remove the center red line.

Strict regulations of goalie equipment sizes and/or increase the size of the net.

Finally - call the frigging rule book and call it consistently!

13. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I only have interest for hockey and football (the American version) so I will be back. Occasional trips to AA Center but mostly just in front of telly. Unless ticket prices come down with the salaries, then I will be visiting the rink more often.

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

This is (outside the lack of a season) my biggest beef with the sport. There must be clear guidelines as to what is and isn't a penalty, and they must be called regardless of when in the game or season. Games should not be decided by the refs, either calling a nonpenalty or failing to call a penalty.

Penalties should be reviewable by the ref as an option, even if not called, especially those resulting in injury (ie high stick, kneeing).

I like the idea of an increased attacking zone. No touch icing makes sense, since the current system rarely results in the attacking team gaining an advantage anyway, and the injuries are too high.

I've had it with indecisive goals. Surely someone can come up with a reliable way to tell whether the whole puck is in the net. It is obvious from last season that even with 2 refs, a goal judge and cameras that there is room for improvement in this area.

15. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

It's hockey, of course I'll be back.

I'd like the NHL adopt the international size rink. The University of Minnesota's arena is the international size and I prefer watching hockey on this size arena.

16. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

My thoughts exactly, I'll wait and see just what kind of NHL is coming back before I decide if I want to come back to it.

17. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I have season tickets to the ECHL Reading Royals whose rink is 10 minutes from my house. At the moment I really don't care about the NHL. Unfortunately, many players will start heading overseas to play and I'm sure that will trickle down to the ECHL as well.

-Dave

18. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I'm not a hockey fan but I do live in a region where hockey is extremely popular. I think the sport just shot itself in the foot. The players are too stupid to realize that the NHL is pretty much irrelevant now. The NFL, MLB, NASCAR, WWE and even the NBA are more popular. The owners should just blow it up and restart the NHL with a new salary structure. The players will come back.

19. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Interesting thought...

I'm not really a hockey fan either, but these strikes over insane salaries are never good for a sport.

20. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

It depends what the league is when it comes back. I stopped watching baseball after 1994, never missed it. I really cut down on hockey after the Bobby Holik 9 mill contract.