What's new

The NHL Trade Deadline has passed -- lot's of action (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Dalla's team is just way too deep
well there are a lot of other deep teams, i dont know if dallas will make it out of the western conference alive, especially with detroit, vancouver, st louis, and colorado. there arent as many deep teams in the east, so i suspect that a team from the west will win it all. and about guerin, i'm not impressed with him at all. being from boston, ive seen him play quite a bit, and imo, he is just a goon with a bad attitude and a good shot. boston was wise to get rid of him, and his huge salary-to-be. amazing that 40 goals over two years can get you 9.5 mil for 5 years. if lemieux were getting paid based on THOSE numbers in all of his glory years, maybe he could afford to keep all those amazing players they were forced to let go. and while i'm talking about boston players, i think thornton needs to grow up a little. he has some nice skills, but to be a top caliber nhl player, ne needs to control his temper. every bruins game that i see, if he gets hit even lightly, he will retaliate with with a slash, sometimes viciously. notice his very high penalty minutes. and he is usually allowed to whatever he wants without being hit. this will stop soon, as soon as he gets a reputation for being a high scorer. i have a feeling we wont see thornton scoring as much when he has 2 defenseman water-skiing off him, like the familiar sight during penguins games :) ok rant mode is off now, but i just had to get some things off my chest about hockey. lets go wings!

CJ

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me or did Detroit give up too much to get Mathieu Schneider?
I thought so at first too, but the more I think about it, the happier I am with the move.

I always liked Avery, but the guy has something like 4 points total. I know, that's not his role necessarily, but I doubt that he'll be missed all that much.

I was never comfortable with Kuznetzov on the blue line; too many giveaways, too much indecision. He never fit in with the Wings' style of play, my opinion.

As for the draft picks, as previously noted, the Wings have a way of picking gems relatively low in the draft (to say nothing of their track record with the Europeans & Russians).

Osgood may not be a star, but I've always felt he never got the credit he deserved. The Blues will not go far post-season - too many holes/injuries.

I see the Wings being in the finals, perhaps against Philadelphia (good pick up in Amonte).

As Jaromir Jagr might say, you can bet on it. :laugh:

Jon

Camp

Senior HTF Member
As much as I"m not a fan of Osgood, he's better than what we have and what the Blues could have gotten within reason. I'm not quite certain they could have gotten Burke which is who they wanted w/o putting up alot.
Burke would have been nice but Phoenix didn't want to deal him. They wanted three #1 picks and defenseman Barret Jackman (who will likely win the Calder trophy this year).
Once Phoenix dumped Amonte's salary on Philly they didn't have any need to get rid of Burke.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, Phoenix was asking too much for Burke, who is not an elite goalie. However, Osgood is not much better than Brent Johnson, so the Blues really didn't improve their goaltending enough to make a playoff run.

This could be shaping up as the best balanced playoffs in several years. Detroit, Dallas, Vancouver and Colorado are legitimate threats in the West. Toronto, Ottawa, New Jersey and Philly all have a shot in the East. Each team has some weakness (lack of scoring in Jersey, past playoff failures in Ottawa, etc.), but all have a legitimate chance.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I've always complained that Ottawa wasn't tough enough to go the distance in the Playoffs, they finally took steps to rectify that. Hopefully they will make it to the finals this year. They don't have the bankroll to make big changes like Toronto does but they don't need to mess with their chemistry too much this year so I'm happy with the trades.:emoji_thumbsup:

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Osgood is not much better than Brent Johnson, so the Blues really didn't improve their goaltending enough to make a playoff run.
If Ozzie regains his form in the 97 to 98 years, he could fit well in the Blues system. Ozzie was used to seeing 20 shots a game or so in Detroit, then he goes to the Isles and faces 30 to 35 a night. The Blues allow very few SOGs so I'm hoping Ozzie will be a good fit. Remember, Ozzie was there for the 62 win season (and he did win games for the Wings) and he was in goal in the 1-0 Double Overtime classic against the Blues who had Jon Casey in net.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks