What's new

The NHL Trade Deadline has passed -- lot's of action (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The trading has been fast and furious the past couple of days. Some of the more significant additions:
  • Toronto -- Owen Nolan, Phil Housley, Doug Gilmour, Glen Wesley
  • St. Louis -- Chris Osgood, Valeri Bure
  • Ottawa -- Bryan Smolinski, Rob Ray
  • Dallas -- Stu Barnes, Lyle Odelein
  • Philly -- Tony Amonte, Claude Lapointe, Dmitry Yushkeivich
  • Detroit -- Mathieu Schneider

Other teams making playoff deals include both New York teams, Edmonton and New Jersey. Teams such as Buffalo, Phoenix, Montreal, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh and Chicago look like they have given up and are dumping players.

It looks like Toronto helped itself the most. Detroit made a very significant, single addition in Schneider, but they gave up a lot (two young players and a 1st and 2nd round draft pick). Dallas and Philly look like big winners, too.

I think St. Louis will be disappointed in Osgood -- he's not the answer in goal for them.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thankfully, Vancouver didn't do much other than return Brad May to the club, which is a good move IMO. Nobody really expected Burke to do anything drastic given the success of the team this year, but another strong D is always a useful asset, especially when injuries strike.

Welcome back, Brad!

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Is it just me or did Detroit give up too much to get Mathieu Schneider? Sean Avery, Maxim Kuznetsov and their 2003 first round pick and their 2004 second round pick seems like an awful lot to give up for Schneider. Maybe that's why I'm not an NHL GM ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mark, I think the Wings gave up a lot for Schneider, too. Another surprise was the lack of deals out of Colorado. The Avs are usually good for a few moves at the deadline. All they added this year was Bryan Marchment. They still have not filled the hole left when they traded Drury.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Scott,
As much as I"m not a fan of Osgood, he's better than what we have and what the Blues could have gotten within reason. I'm not quite certain they could have gotten Burke which is who they wanted w/o putting up alot.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Shane,

Osgood is better than what the Blues had only because they had nothing at goaltender. Just because he was fortunate enough to play goal on a Cup winner does not make him a Stanley Cup goalie. Any average goaltender would have won the Cup that year with Detroit -- the team was that good. However, the Blues are not good enough of a team to win it all with an average goalie -- they will need great goaltending to win the Cup. They just improved from lousy to average. As you said, though, there were not any great goalies available (I do not think Burke is anything other than average, either).

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm glad the wings added schneider, despite the cost. i'd be worried about the draft picks, not the players. colorado didnt surprise me by adding anothe asshole defenseman at the deadline, with marchment. i think vancouver looks dangerous when playoff time comes. too bad pittsburgh had to give up hrdina. if you think about what kind of offensive players they have had over the years, it is VERY impressive. lang, hrdina, kovalev, straka, naslund, jagr, and lemieux. not too bad, you could make up 2 impressive all star lines with those players, almost. if they only had the money of the rangers...poor mario

CJ

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Av's also got Bates Bataglia from Carolina...

how about that rangers deal for the guy named Pizza?

"if Pizza doesn't get to new york within 30 minutes, the rangers get another conditional draft pick"

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Bad move for edmonton trading Anson Carter away imho... for who, Corey cross and Radek Dvorak? :rolleyes

Nice to see canucks didnt do anything major... argh, when will cloutier comeback? SAVE US CLOUTIER, SAVE US! ;) Skudra aint doin TOO bad i guess

Scott W.

Second Unit
When I heard on the radio that Carter and Ninnimaa had been traded, I got this bad taste in my mouth. Edmonton was dumping contracts and I haven't felt that bad or pissed off since Edmonton traded Doug Weight to St. Louis. God damn!

Scott

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Tell me about it. Thats brutal. Our leading scorer and a veteren Oiler defencemen. All for who?

But we're used to it here. Its part of the whole small market thing. Most teams rebuild. Ours never stops.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Well at least most of you will have a post season to watch. My year started off bad when we took " I'm still drinking, not getting anger management and can't grow up" Theo Fluery:angry: This was the 2nd time I had to question Mr. Sutter(1st after our trade for Berezin). Yes we are dumping cash and end of year free agents, but what will I watch for the next 14 games? A tired pissed off Chicago fan in Tulsa(yes I am a bit bitter too:D ).

Heres to next year, better save my Center Ice money now !

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Here's hoping the FLYERS catch fire and win us a Cup. After the bitter, bitter end to another EAGLES season, we need the Cup.

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
The Wings are always seem to find gems in the later rounds. Avery will be missed but Maxim just didn't work his way into the lineup. If we would have gotten rid of Zetterberg I would have said they went to far!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
The Wings are always seem to find gems in the later rounds. Avery will be missed but Maxim just didn't work his way into the lineup. If we would have gotten rid of Zetterberg I would have said they went to far!
yes they do, fedorov was picked in the 6th, i'm not sure about datsyuk, but he is a gem, i am bewildered that he isnt near the top of the nhl scoring race, i really am. he has confidence in his puck handling like few players ive ever seen. great vision of the ice as well. i really doubt they would give up zetterberg, he is playing great with hull, and if he continues, he will probably win rookie of the year. i'm ready for the playoffs, lets go wings!

CJ

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, my favorite team (Montreal) is pretty much out of playoff contention. I guess I will be pulling for the Maple Leafs, since it's been so long since they've won a Cup. However, it would also be nice to see either Vancouver or Ottawa win, too (a win for the lower revenue teams). This past decade has been ruled by the big money teams -- Detroit, Jersey, New York, Colorado and Dallas have owned the Cup.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking that the favorites going in should be the Maple Leafs. The flyers sure try though but they always choke it in the end. Is Lindros a virus much like the Red Sox fans have had since the Ruth deal?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think a Vancouver/Ottawa finals would be pretty sweet. Vancouver winning in 6 of course. :)

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I've got news for all of you.....;)

It's going to be the Dallas :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

that hoist up Lord Stanley's cup this year.

and they'll be playing Ottawa in the finals.

Dalla's team is just way too deep. They'll have Turco and Guerin back in time for the playoffs....so watch out!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks